Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

PLEASE HELP driving licence problem

Options
  • 15-01-2003 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

ok ill try and keep this short
    i passed my driving test in aug2002 on my first go
    and held onto my provisional licence but i didnt read the small print on my driving licence cert that said if i dont
    apply for full licence within 2 years my driving cert will be invalid

anyway i sent off my provisional licence to renew it and get a full licence on 27-dec-02 but got a letter to say i should have renewed before aug15 2002 so now i have to apply for a second provisional and do my driving test AGAIN surely there is so way round this ??
    i mean i passed my test already and have been driving since its not like i wasnt on the road for 10years or something
    anyway if anyone can help me i would be eternaly greatfull

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Did you pass your test in August 2002, or August 2000?

If you passed in August '00, then I'm afraid it's tough. The tester tells you when they give you the cert "You must apply for a full licence within two years, or you'll have to do the test again". Maybe you weren't listening :)

Why did you hold onto your provisional? I applied for my full licence the day I passed the test, in order to avail of cheaper insurance, freedom to drive on motorways without checking for Gardai (;)) etc......why anyone would hold onto a provisional, I can't understand.

So, yeah, if your cert is expired, you'll have to do the test again. Them's the rules.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 weirdjim

oopss aug00 i meant

always meant to get full licence but kept putting it off untill i forgot about it and then lost it for a while
    the only reason i went looking for it was that you now need to have licence with you
    anyway maybe i will listen this time!
    whats the story with tests these days still loooonnnnggg waiting lists? and written exam?

anyway thanks seamus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Very annoying:( but it's your own fault.

Waiting lists are probably the longest they have been for years and are certainly getting longer.

Apply for your test now. And I mean NOW:D

You can do it online here. They'll confirm your application by letter within five days and give you a date as soon as one becomes available. Info etc available here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Sh1t Weirdjim you are weird, only kidding ya :)

AFAIK waiting lists are over 6 months and have a written exam also.

Totally agree with sceptre "Apply for your test now. And I mean NOW"

If you can get a letter from your employer to say blah, blah needs a full licence for work , it can seriously speed things up.

I passed my test in Sept 1990 and only submitted the "Passed Cert" with 8 days to go! :rolleyes:

Anyhow, good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I think the written exam is only for people applying for their first provisional. I did my test in Nov. and there was no written part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by Neil_Sedaka
    If you can get a letter from your employer to say blah, blah needs a full licence for work , it can seriously speed things up.

ffs, a good few ppl are doing this now, even though they really do not need their licence to work. It pis$es me off when I see someone that REALLY needs a licence to work, has to wait a few months to do a test and start work. I use a company vehicale for work and if I was on a provisional I would take a dim view to ppl that do this, skipping the queue when your not in a hurry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

I think a letter more along the lines of "I've already passed but messed up and forgot to send in the Passed cert" might speed it up for you as well.

Ando, if anything, people queue skipping should highlight the need for more instructors, more testers, more test centres rah rah rah ad nauseum and this should be highlighted to the powers that be. The government is the one bit*hing about x00,000 provisional drivers on the road, but rather than do anything about correcting the problem they just want to fu*k us for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by ando
    ffs, a good few ppl are doing this now, even though they really do not need their licence to work. It pis$es me off when I see someone that REALLY needs a licence to work, has to wait a few months to do a test and start work. I use a company vehicale for work and if I was on a provisional I would take a dim view to ppl that do this, skipping the queue when your not in a hurry

You *might* get in to do the test earlier if you get such a letter. Basically you'll get in early if there's a cancellation (someone pulls out of the test for some reason, you get their spot) but this also means that you'll also only get a couple of days notice of the test rather than the standard time - three weeks, I believe... so not so much time to practise or have lessons (if that's an issue).

I don't see why it pi$$es you off. The letter could state that you will accept a cancellation spot because you're in a hurry, you need the full license for work, or any number of reasons... the important part is that you will accept a cancellation spot, and the short notice that goes along with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭lynchie

I applied for my test online before christmas. Got confirmation just after christmas and rang the dept of environment to send me a date for my test so I could renew my license as its currently expired. I was talking to a bloke from the Tallaght Test Centre and he said he would put me on the priority queue. Grand so says I. Two days later a letter from the dept of environment arrived. I thought with me being on the priority queue Id have a test early February or something but was shocked to find that I had been given a date of July 8th. So if July 8th is a date on the priority queue I hate to imagine what date I would have got if I wasnt on it, probably Feb 2004!!

thanks lads for yere help
    i sent off for test today (was gonna put it off for awhile !!)
    anyway it was my mistake and a stupid one at that

i dont need full licence for work so i wont bother with a letter from employer (but thanks for that advice anyway)
    i did send a letter to say i had passed my test ...

anyway hopefully from my mistake i might save someone else from the same fate

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

And to top off this little debacle a reminder for people:

The testers generally make it abundantly clear (as does the small print) that you must present your "Certificate of Competancy" within 2 years of passing the test, otherwise it is invalidated.

I think its best to apply straight away (as I did) as the cert can easily get lost/destroyed or forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I applied for my (motorcycle) test at the beginning of October. Just got notification yesterday that I will be having my test on the 21st of February. (Kilkenny btw).

:eek: :eek: :eek:

just a little update my test is next tuesday
    wish me luck

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by weirdjim
    ok ill try and keep this short
    i passed my driving test in aug2002 on my first go
    and held onto my provisional licence but i didnt read the small print on my driving licence cert that said if i dont
    apply for full licence within 2 years my driving cert will be invalid

anyway i sent off my provisional licence to renew it and get a full licence on 27-dec-02 but got a letter to say i should have renewed before aug15 2002 so now i have to apply for a second provisional and do my driving test AGAIN surely there is so way round this ??
    i mean i passed my test already and have been driving since its not like i wasnt on the road for 10years or something
    anyway if anyone can help me i would be eternaly greatfull

Sorry man, but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard :rolleyes: Why bother with the test at all if you were't bothered with getting lower insurance etc? If you pass this time don't be a pratt and apply for your license the same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭Benbaz

I applied for my test online before christmas. Got confirmation just after christmas and rang the dept of environment to send me a date for my test so I could renew my license as its currently expired. I was talking to a bloke from the Tallaght Test Centre and he said he would put me on the priority queue. Grand so says I. Two days later a letter from the dept of environment arrived. I thought with me being on the priority queue Id have a test early February or something but was shocked to find that I had been given a date of July 8th. So if July 8th is a date on the priority queue I hate to imagine what date I would have got if I wasnt on it, probably Feb 2004!!

I applied for my test on December 13th last and received a date for 24th of February, Tallaght. I did send a letter in from work requesting an earlier date though.
    But there is an option on the application form to be selected for a cancellation. And a girl in work applied for her test online a couple of days before me and she got her test date for the 27th of February and a friend applied for her test at the end of December accompanied by a letter from her employer and got a date for the 27th of February also in Tallaght. So I think it's really a bit of a lottery when you get a date!!

I do sympathize with weirdjim though, we all tend to put things off til the last minute, the majority only do things when they "really" need to be done!! you only have to look at the amount of applications for driving tests that have gone in since it has become compulsary to have a full license while driving!!

Sorry man, but that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard Why bother with the test at all if you were't bothered with getting lower insurance etc? If you pass this time don't be a pratt and apply for your license the same day.

On the lower insurance thing!! I only had to ring my insurance company and tell them that I'd passed for my insurance to go down which I thought was very strange at the time but hey, that's insurance companys for ya, a law onto themselves!!!
    I did send in a copy of my Cert just in case!!! NEVER TRUST INSURANCE COMPANYS - ROBBING B*ST*RDS!!!

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

Originally posted by Benbaz
    NEVER TRUST INSURANCE COMPANYS - ROBBING B*ST*RDS!!!

Never a truer word spoken!

hehe i FAILED FFS aaaahhhhhhhhhh
    when i passed first time i just showed insurance crowd my cert and that did the trick
    a well ... ill get it next time (maybe)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

the only reason i got the test so quickly was because of the circumstances i guess??
    cause most people i know here are waiting at least 6 months maybe more

Advertisement