Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Connecting to DVD surround sound system

• 16-01-2003 3:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Can anybody tell me the the best way to connect a panasonic sky box with a video recorder and a DVD player with built in surround sound set up.

And while I'm at it my sky remote will no longer work for volume control. Can thius be fixed by inserting a code and if so does anybody know the code.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

there is a L and R stereo output at the back of your digibox to get the sound from the digibox

what kinda setup do you have? do you have a seperate amp or is it built in to the dvd player.

does the remote work for anything else?
    if you want the code for the tv functions, check your manual where it also explains how to enter the code

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

If you have a stereo TV then the best thing to use a set of audio leads to connect from the TV to the Amp. Then whatever you are watching on the TV, be it Sky, Video, Terrestrial, you will get the sound through your external speakers.

If the DVD is seperate to the Amp it should be connected via a coaxial (or optical) lead. If it is built into the amp there's no need to worry about how it is connected. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

I did this recently, my dvd player also functions as the 5.1 decoder and came with the subwoofer and other speakers.

Its something i havent seen before where you can put a scart in the back of the digibox(the second adaptor) and that connects to the scart on the back of the dvd player, you then switch the function to the av in feature and it relays the sound of the digibox, quite brilliant really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

i have a phllips dvd player with a built in 5.1 decoder and a seperate subwoofer+speakers(also phillips, all sold together)
    the dvd player has an analogue 5.1 output (as well as the optical/coax outputs)
    there is 1 5.1 input and 2 other inputs on the subwoofer, which is connected to the other speakers
    so i just connected the stereo output from the digibox to one of the inputs on the sub-woofer/speakers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It would be better if SKY+ was available in Eire, then you could listen to your Satellite sound in glorious DD5.1*, instead of the slightly less glorious Dolby Pro-logic, or stereo..

Of course, only if the original program is broadcast in Dolby Digitall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown

Of course, only if the original program is broadcast in Dolby Digitall

Only some of the movies on Sky Premiere Widescreen (and Box Office Widescreen) are broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1

There was talk of the BBC and Channel 4 starting tests at some stage, but there has been no news of this recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I disconnected my Sky from HiFi and only have DVD on the HiFi.

On a "better" system you notice the variations in quality more.

I used a 4 way switch box as looping everything degrades the sound and you might hear Digibox or DVD or VHS tuner/tape in background with loop through.

Most equipment hase "RCA" (phono) connectors as well as SCART.

I have decent 4ft columns. Very few TV programs or VHS have good sound. My TV stereo speakers are quite good.

Many of the socalled "home cinema" or "Dobly 5.1" speaker systems are too small using speakers barely bigger than a pocket radio.

The absolute minimum size is about Shoe-box size in wooden cabinet. All the satellite speakers I have seen are similar in quality to the cheap and nasty "pocket"/transportable speakers for a walkman.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 dgbr

Thanks for your suggestions.

Advertisement