Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Jerry Seinfeld on Comedy" Review

• 16-01-2003 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

Thanks to Ciaran/Smuckers for sending me a copy of "Jerry Seinfeld on Comedy".

Here are some of my thoughts...

--
    Some very interesting points were made in the interview.

Robert Klein and his father were his 2 big influences- bith wre lower East side Jewish New Yorkers- whcih he seemed to think to be a a good criteria for being able to tell jokes!!

Jerry attributes alot of his success to actually completing college (Queens college)- not so much for the subjects he undertook but more the mental training it provided him- I think he compared the brain to a muscle that needs exercise.

He thinks that Comics who use bad language are "cheating"- not that he finds it offensive but sometimes he thinks it masks the real skill of making an audience laugh

I was v. interested to hear him talk about the analysis he undertook after nearly all his performances- listening or wacthing recordings- trying to make an 8 word joke into 5 just to enhance the effectiveness of the punchline. Also making sure that his physical movements and timing were perfect to suit the mood of the audience.

He says he also owes alot to maintaing good physical health- either through jogging or now Yoga. According to Jer he worked every night for 18 months so he needed it! He also said that the readings of Zen inspired him greatly.

When asked about what tips he woulf give up and coming comics...
    WORK !!
    There's no easy way around it.

--
    Overall v.enjoyable insight into the mind of the "SeinMaster". I think after seeing "Comedian" and now hearing this anyone would have a greater respect for the hard work and dedication that is needed to get up on stage.

--
    You can the full cd here...
    http://store.yahoo.com/laughstore/jerseinoncom.html

I recorded the interview onto my computer so I might put it up as a download somewhere- in a v. low bitrate- so it can be a v. small file size :)

80p.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭seveb

that would be brilliant if you did that 80sProject! i've been after that for a while now - but i could never find it anywhere.
    let us know if you upload it somewhere. thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Yep, no probs Seve. I'll see what i can do in the next week or so :)

thanks 80project, looking forward to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Hey Seve,

Ciaran is sending me another tape w/ Peter Mehlman so i'll see If I can get both up together.

I'm moving some of the Seinwars site to a new server as well so it should be faster :)

cool, thanks again 80project.

• Advertisement
Advertisement