Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4gig Cap on EsatBt ADSL??

Options
  • 16-01-2003 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Just registered with www.adslnow.ie and they list the Residential EsatBt offering as having a 4 gig Cap - I thought their was meant to be unlimited ??? It is cheaper than Eircom's "offering" but the whole idea of a cap is 'Naf. I guess it's better than 56K, maybe I'll wait and go flat rate.
    Anyone any thoughts ?
    Mike

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 sbp

IMHO, even with the cap its still way better than Eirconn's offer.

I'm sick of 56k (and I'm sick of ISDN idea), so I'm going for Esat's DSL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

Believe or not...
    I subscribed to a download service for heavy duty downloading and with a limit of 6 gigs..
    after the initial Novelty., i find it difficult to go over 3GB a month
    but yes.. its probably nearly as bad as time watching on dial up
    but remember 3GB cap is the same as 150 hrs downloading package at 56kbs but your geting 1GB extra and you can be on 24/7
    you just goto wieght the pro`s and cons..
    then choose! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

suppose its better than 3 ,

theres still no way i can afford €60 a month , and at that its 256k

€30 a month for utv is steep enough, but hopefully friaco will bring that down further..,

but in saying that i still have the bi-monthly line rental bill from eircon,

nah...not yet,

were getting there slowly but surely, they really do want to squeeze the penny out of every person b4 providing the standard service that is available in most of europe,

hell ntl are testing fibre optic lines for home use in britain at the moment, and we're still trying to tie down flat rate,.

july? , sort it out now

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Funky Phantom

Slightly OT, but we've been chasing the various operators to get DSL into our premises but I've just had a conversation with Eircoms DSL section, they've told me that the, at present uncapped, i-Stream enhanced is to be capped at 3gb.

As a capped option is of little use to us, I logged onto the ADSL.ie site and read aloud the options, I was put on hold and on return the cap was confirmed at 3gb.

www.adsl.ie reads "eircom i-stream enhanced
    For a multi user, multi PC networked environment

Speeds are up to 1Mbps downstream / 256kbps upstream
    Connection fee is 165 excl. VAT - Monthly fee is 169 excl. VAT.
    Additional equipment costs will vary with customer requirements.
    For enhanced there is unlimited Internet download allowance.**
    eircom i-stream is being rolled out on a phased basis. At present, it is available within certain Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Kerry exchange areas. However, in some instances, customers in an enabled exchange area may not be able to avail of eircom i-stream. For this reason, every query will be individually assessed and each line will be individually tested for suitability.

**eircom reserves the right to charge 3c ex VAT per MB for material downloaded over and above the stated monthly allowance"

So you've been warned.

On a similar note the service being offered by via-networks is still uncapped

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭LoBo

just to put that in perspective:

a 1Mbit download speed going at full throttle will download at 128KB / second.

This gives 450MB per hour.

Which means if they were to put the (ludicrous) cap of 3GB on it you would go over it after 6 hours and 50 minutes of downloading.

And your paying over €200 per month for this already....

Personally I think it would be totally ridicolous of them to cap a 1Mb connection that costs €200 per month. So much so that I don't think they will.

Then again, we were wrong in our interpretation of the word "unlimited" with Esat in '01 ... you never know.

Colm, off to .au in a week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

There is obviously a mistake in the web site snippet, but even if not, its clearly stated that it is uncapped. Two successive calls to i-stream sales both confirmed this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Aside of the obvious application of DSL towards downloading Warez, etc, anyone who uses Linux/Unix will download a new distribution every so often.

e.g Debian is 7 CD's (obviously with APT the necessity to download is lesser and spread out)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Originally posted by cgarvey
    Two successive calls to i-stream sales both confirmed this.

But the people that Funky were speaking to say that's gong to change! They're off their fooking heads, that's what.

One more call tells me that they have no plans to do that. I can't see anything in the Terms that refers to a change in product description (usually there is a notice period of change of product/price where the customer can opt out). If they do put a cap on it I'l certainly be changing, and arguing my case.

I don't believe a 3GB cap on a 1MB line at 169+VAT is going to be implemented anyway, I think Funky has been misinformed. I certainly hope he has!

.cg

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Scottish

I think I read somewhere that BT in the UK were considering a cap there - of 3 gig a DAY.

Ah but sure, this'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Have a feeling the person in Eircom was getting confused with the commencement of enforcement of the 3gb cap on the €107/m package, which afaik, has been ignored up until now...

Either way, there's not a hope in hell Eircom will ever get that kind of money out of me...
    Originally posted by cgarvey
    One more call tells me that they have no plans to do that. I can't see anything in the Terms that refers to a change in product description (usually there is a notice period of change of product/price where the customer can opt out). If they do put a cap on it I'l certainly be changing, and arguing my case.

I don't believe a 3GB cap on a 1MB line at 169+VAT is going to be implemented anyway, I think Funky has been misinformed. I certainly hope he has!

.cg

/me unsh1ts himself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

I just got an email back from ADSLNow, I've passed the line test, but AFAIK there are problems with the waterford GPO exchange.. Im thankful it was esat and not eircom who set up DSL here, because there's no way I could pay €100+ for 512k with a 3gb cap..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Regnak

I was planning to get really into some online gaming. I was wondering - how many megs an hour would you use playing counterstrike or similar online games these days ? I'd have to weigh up playing a marathon session some weekend to still having some of the 4 Gig Cap left over for downloading patches demos and updates for the games themselves.

Has anyone any idea is online gaming likely to be large in the bandwidth stakes and uses whatever you have available ? I know you can get away with a 56K modem so maybe it's negli,neglibl,,$!!#!, "not important" ( I hate it when i can't spell !!).

Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Online gaming shouldnt affect your cap in any way.

The amount of info from a long session of say Counter-Strike pales in comparison to say, downloading a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

CS uses about 1.5-3KB/s so thats say

1.5x60= 90KB
    90x60= 5400KB

5400KB / 1024 = 5.273 Megs an hour. Add into that voce comms and stuff**

** being new maps/sounds and stuff that some server download as you play.

I for one will be going for the Esat ADSL 512 option

Advertisement