Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT's Waterford GPO exchange - is it working?

Options
  • 16-01-2003 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭

The 3 reps I spoke to down the phone from esat didnt have a clue what I was on about when I asked them about the GPO probs, but apparently, everybody's on a different exchange from the GPO, and they cant get DSL.. anybody have any confirmation on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

I can confirm that the GPO exchange is ready and I should have DSL on Monday (Jan 20). Should. This is around 3 months late from the date I was told on ordering.

I don't know anyone else in Waterford City with DSL from Esat. I don't know about the status of the Tycor exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Tellox

Excellent, I just got an email from ADSLNow saying my line is DSL-Ready, Im sending off the forms on monday for the 256k product...Its a real shame about the cap though..

Unsurprisingly, I do not have ADSL. Despite being told that an "engineer" would be here this morning between 0930 and 1330, no engineer turned up. A quick phone call to Esat later and it turns out that there was no engineer in our area. Nice way to waste my morning.

Apparently, we will have an engineer tomorrow. Having a DSL monopoly in the area obviously means never having to worry about customer service.

Our DSL was installed by a KTI engineer this morning. The ADSL modem was an Ericsson HM230dp. The device has USB and ethernet, but USB is not supported.
    Esat issued us with a static IP.

Despite the features of the modem (NAT/DHCP etc), none of these features are turned on or supported and ringing the helpdesk I was told activating these features would violate our T&C. If you are planning to use this service on a LAN, you are going to need to provide a NAT or proxy box yourself. Obviously Esat are concerned about the support headache this would cause.

Downloading from ftp.esat.net gave me 63KB/s. Browsing around is noticably faster than dual channel ISDN.

So far, very happy. No idea of reliability yet of course.

Advertisement