Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

laptop refresh rate

Options
  • 16-01-2003 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Is it safe for me to higher my laptops refresh rate from 60-75 or 100htz?

It says it may damage the hardware, but what are the chances that it will?

reD.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

There's very little point in exceeding the default or the manual's recommendation. LCDs don't work like CRTs. There's no phosphor dots that glow only for a fraction of a second and need to be refreshed by a sweeping electron beam. Instead each pixel has its own transistor that keeps it on or off or in between until it's told to do otherwise. When it is asked to change, it takes a finite amount of time for it to switch from the old shade to the new one. On a good current TFT displays that switching time tends to be equivalent to about 50-60Hz. That's why there's still a bit of ghosting on an LCD display in high motion, high contrast graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

the "refresh rate" is determined by the transistor latency of the TFT screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

TFT screens tend to be easier on the eyes anyway. (Apart from the effect you get with scrolling text on crap ones which really irks me)

You don't really need to try to force your refresh rate higher, and will hit the natural limitations of the transistors if you do.

Advertisement