Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircon: Hey, isn't this illegal . .

Options
  • 16-01-2003 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭

Ever since i've swapped my internet/telephony over to UTV i've gotten two people come to my door asking (actually, begging would be more appropriate) to come back to Eircon, two phone calls from over-enthusiastic sales reps who just don't seem to get the message that i don't want Eircon and their ****ty service, leecing me for every cent and one letter making bull$hit claims that it's prices were going down, blah blah blah. I've read somewhere else here ahwile back that Eircon are only allowed to make one phone call, send one letter and one person around to try and change my mind, obviously if such a rule exists they aren't complying with it. Since i've got no love for Eircon (you'd never have guessed would you? :) ) i want to make sure that suffer for wasting my time with their crappy spam. If the above rule exists then what can i do to make sure that Eircon get a little payback from me? :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Problem is proving that Eircom are targetting you specifically because you don't have an account with them. They can always claim it was just a random call among non-customers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

he IS a customer but has CPS to Nevada.

they have exceeded the 'winback' attempt that Comreg allows them.

he has been subjected to harassment and not a fair winback attempt IMO

get Comreg to get their elegantly manicured fingers out , once they find in your favour then bring Eircom to the small claims court for harassment. I would charge them €100 for each incident after the first winback attempt .....that is allowed.

should pay yer line rental for a while that.

tell us how it goes

M

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Thanks for the reply Muck :) You wouldn't happen to know where if the documentation about the 'winback' scheme is, if it's on the Net at all?

Go Here

Type winback

press Go

you get 4 results :D

read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Hey Raskolnikov

How long have you gone CPS because it is only illegal if you are gone less than 30 days it used to be 5 days but the OTDR changed to to give the OLO's a chance at keeping the Traffic.

So if it was less that 30 you can do something about it ......... or else tell them to stop contacting you as they are an expensive bunch of bastar#ds.

Also these guys are on commission and they dont work for Eircom they are contractors so the likley hood of them leaving you alone is quite slim unless you punch one of them right on the nose and send him packing then they will get the message

• Advertisement

Originally posted by the Guru
    Also these guys are on commission and they dont work for Eircom they are contractors

Data Protection Issues ...... ummmmm , handing over information to third parties without your informed consent.

Get the data protection mob to investigate the Rat as well.

More wonga in the Small Claims Court.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Muck is right.
    Eircon are well out of line.
    Log your experience here step by step - you would be amazed how many readers here would be interested to hear it;)

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Terminator

Eircom rang me last night. Sounded like a right little biddy. I just told her that I was very happy with UTV but would go back to Eircom if their prices dropped below UTV - even though I've absolutely no intention of doing that. I just want them to lower their prices so other isps can lower theres in turn.

If you don't say something along those lines then they're never gonna bring their prices down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Update: Eircon rang for the third fuppin' time today, luckily for them i wasn't at home. I wonder will they ever get the message that i'm not an idiot and i don't want to have to pay 3 times what i'm already paying for there useless service. Anyway i've got the number which they rang from through the magic of one of those number thingy bobs. If anyone wants to ring the goons try 01 1800 207407.

I've already e-mailed ComReg informing them of Eircon's business practices. Now as for the compensation idea i'm not sure what the best avenue there is to it, that is if such an avenue exists. From my Junior Cert Business Studies knowledge i would have thought that the ombudsman would be a better route to go rather than the small claims court? I am an idiot though so someone please show me the way or give me some advice :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Seldon

hi ya Raskolnikov

Have to agree with you about the whole eircom thing. Quick question though. How you find the connection to UTV (What the bandwidth like?) and is it available in ireland?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Raskolnikov, I also agree with the rest of 'em, you /should/ take the time to document a complaint and send it to ComReg, however, you should also be aware that you can get this stopped immediately via the Data Protection Act. Eircom /have/ to remove you from their direct marketing database upon request, and respond in writing within 40 days, or they are categorically breaking the law; and the guys who come round to your door are covered by that.

If you haven't been gathering names, start now. It's difficult to force someone on the phone to give you their full name, but you can simply refuse to talk to them until they identify themselves. If someone calls to the door and refuses to identify themselves, tell them you'll call the Garda if they call again. And do it, because they /will/ be breaking the law -- you can cite the Data Protection Act to the Garda and ask that the person be arrested.

Search this forum for "data protection" and visit www.dataprivacy.ie for more information.

adam

Advertisement