Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative To US Landings at Shannon

Options
  • 17-01-2003 10:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

what makes you think we as europe need them more then they need us ? can imagine how big a market europe is ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

and once again..they need us...
    what they going to do ? sell to usa residence alone ? i dont think so. You really have to move away from the shadow of Usa and think bigger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

"Gawd bless ah-mer-ree-ca, my home sweet home..."

Originally posted by Wook
    what they going to do ? sell to usa residence alone ? i dont think so. You really have to move away from the shadow of Usa and think bigger.
    hmmm, I don't think so, they could move all their plants gradually over to the new entrant countries, and where would we be then?

Is there no gratefullness left anymore??
    I sometimes wonder what,the world would be like if all unsavoury despots and groups like Al'Quaeda were left unchecked.

Probably not a very nice place, anyhow compared to what we are used to...
    51% of the population, check the lining in your burka's:eek:
    mm

• Advertisement

theres the whole buddy system. If europe turened away from america at this moment, america might turn away from europe at a later stage. A favour for a favour. Remember people have long memories when they're twarted in something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Vuk

Well I believe it can be dealt with a minimum of offence, it's not just a matter of telling the US to get the feck out of Shannon, if our constitution is strong enough to warrant the barring of movement of troops through our nation, the Irish government can explain to it's US counterparts that constitutionally we cannot allow this.
    As a fellow democratic nation they would have no right to begrudge us this.
    It would also not be a huge strategic loss to the US to loose Shannon, what's wrong with airports and bases in the UK ?
    But it all really boils down to the attitude of our government. Statements like "There's no such thing as true neutrality" from our Minister for Defence, show's how much the government are striving to uphold our constitution.

Thing is though, Irelands governments have always been pushovers. they'll always fold if america pushes something. The only way ireland would deny america shannon, was if nato/ the eu, asked them not to.

Alternatively they could invite saddam to land planes there, and keep up our farce of neutrality.

It does boil down to the favour thing.
    Regardless of how it is said or done a refusal to allow a friendly state like the U.S to land at Shannon would have implications.

Imagine, the IDA trying to encourage more U.S investment here, and we wouldn't allow a simple thing like re-fueling at Shannon...
    Some of the new E.U entrant countries are already NATO members and looked upon favourably by U.S eyes for being so.
    If and when the U.S economy turns around again, I'd imagine, U.S Congessmen and women would remember our sillyness and be leading the delegations looking for business opportunities in Eastern Europe instead of here.

I do not see what the fuss is about.

To be honest, I'll use that phrase again..." heads down like Larne Catholics..." on this one and save your protests for something else. The Irish Government is doing that,in the certain knowledge that , it is in this countries best interests to take the current course of action.

Oh yes and theres the green cards, how many times have the Irish, got favourable status there??
    Not to mention the thousands of students who have had J1 visa's.
    The U.S ( whether one agrees with their tactics or not ) has decided that , their actions in relation to Sadam are in the United States best interests...and by and large, that suits our economic interests aswell.
    Unless of course we want to go back to Eighties, high taxes,unemployment, Emmigration(to god knows where as the U.S wouldn't let too many in... post our Shannon sillyness) etc etc...
    No thanks.
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Batfink

Don't kid yourself , American companies are not over here because they want to help us out, they are here because it is profitable for them to set up here.

Wook was right, Think bigger and look forward, what is stopping Irish companies setting up with help from the Irish gov to do the exact same thing as American companies are doing over here and making a profit.

US Multinationals in Ireland are like whores
    First they f*ck you
    second they take your money
    third they leave

I have no problem with the states using shannon but I do have a problem with anyone who thinks we need the states.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Vuk

Aye, as Batfink said, the US companies aren't here because of goodwill it is just economically viable and I'm sure as the east European countries join the Euro-zone, they will be a target for new and re-located US companies, regardless of how we deal with the Shannon Issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by Batfink
    Wook was right, Think bigger and look forward, what is stopping Irish companies setting up with help from the Irish gov to do the exact same thing as American companies are doing over here and making a profit.
    The fact that the Irish companies don't have the necessary capital, intellectual property or research ability. It cost Intel $2 billion to build their new fab in Leixlip. There is no Irish company that would be even remotely able to afford such an investment.
    US Multinationals in Ireland are like whores
    First they f*ck you
    second they take your money
    third they leave
    On the contrary, US multinationals have brought much more money into this country (salaries, corporation tax, suppliers...) than they have taken in grants.

Intel has only became so big and powerful with a couple of billion to back them up partially because of a European customer base.

Companies bring money in , but that's not to say they do this because they want to be friendly. Do you really think your economic boom would have happened if your government didn't help with cheap corporate taxes and other benefits ?
    And how long do you think the same companies are going to stay here if the climate of favours change ? This is all too natural and is to be expected from multinationals.

We as Europeans don't own a thing to America..we have paid our dues with the purchase of almost everything American , look around the office and your house and start counting the American products you have..you be amazed.

Somebody mentioned that as a neutral country we should also allow the People from Iraq to land planes here ...fair point wouldn't you say ?

I don't care where they land because they will find a way to get there. all I am trying to say is that we do not have to do this because of sympathy..for they have little for us..see Kyoto, see human rights, see the problems they have caused and we had to help clean up..and so on...

Originally posted by Meh
    The fact that the Irish companies don't have the necessary capital, intellectual property or research ability. It cost Intel $2 billion to build their new fab in Leixlip. There is no Irish company that would be even remotely able to afford such an investment. On the contrary, US multinationals have brought much more money into this country (salaries, corporation tax, suppliers...) than they have taken in grants.
    Thanks Meh, I couldn't have said it better myself.

Anyone that thinks, that this country hasn't benefited from the downstream effects of the presence of U.S multi nationals here is deluding themselves....
    Indeed, those companies could have set up in Scotland,were it not for better grants here yes, but also to a large extent lobbying of Irish American congressmen...the very people whose troops are filing through Shannon.
    Somebody mentioned that as a neutral country we should also allow the People from Iraq to land planes here ...fair point wouldn't you say ?
    No thats not a fair point at all...
    We may be non alligned, but if it was a fight for democracy, Vs Sadams Despot regime...the Irish people would be shouting for Sadam???
    Doubt it!
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Morality For Sale

25% off for a limited time only.

I don't see the irish people shouting for the end of saddam's empire at the moment. Actually i don't see them doing much of anything. The shannon landings aren't really affecting the irish people as a whole, all that much except for a few minority groups. So it stands to reason if Saddam was allowed to land in ireland with his forces, then likewise the people wouldn't care all that much. Either way we're not directly threatened.

This thread, and the Irish Neutrality thread are quite similiar in one respect. The allowance of american troop/transport planes to land here, makes the claim to irish neutrality a farce, since the irish government are helping one country in its military offensive against another country. (small help i know, but help nonetheless).

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by daveirl
    DELL, Intel, Boston Scientific, Motorola I could go on. American companies employ hundred's of thousands of people here. Don't kid yourself we need them.
    So we just prostitute ourselves to the highest bidder?

If we are going to be prostitutes, can we at least admit it to oursleves? WEll at least Mr. Cowen could admit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Wook

For your information Wook that is 'exactly' what Gateway EMEA (Europe Middle East & Africa) did. Why? Well European sales were down some 40% and North American sales were down some 35%, so a big wig in the US took a decision to kill Gateway EMEA to save Gateway North America.

So yes, if push comes to shove the Americans will look out for themselves and do business with themselves alone, if need be.

Dell consumed Gateway's former market incidentally.

Morality for sale:D
    Not really,just a way of life really.

Why don't the people of Iraq band together and get rid of Sadam?
    Are they afraid of him or something??

Oh I forgot he got 100% of a democratic vote recently...

At least we can, grumble about, these things...

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

I think it requires a balance...

No fly overs and US troops landing at Shannon: Probably a treat to some investment but companies rely more on financial objectives than politics....ie China investment etc.

Let them land and fly through: Investment is 100% assured instead of 99%.. Al Quida and Co see Ireland as just another future target and pencil it in on its 5th column attacks in 2005.

I go for No1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meh

Originally posted by dathi1
    2.Let them land and fly through: Investment is 100% assured instead of 99%.. Al Quida and Co see Ireland as just another future target and pencil it in on its 5th column attacks in 2005.
    So you advocate that Irish foreign policy be based on appeasement, isolationism and cowardice? At least you're honest about it...

Also, I should remind you that we are already a target -- several Irish citizens died on Sept. 11th.

Originally posted by dathi1
    Probably a treat to some investment but companies rely more on financial objectives than politics....ie China investment etc.
    *Cough*
    China is a potential market to U.S companies of how many billion people???
    Of course the U.S are interested in commercial gain there.

We are a market of how many??
    U.S companies could if they wanted serve European markets, from how many E.U Nato member countries What happens again when you bite the hand that feeds you??

U.S companies do listen to their congressmen.

The same congressmen that by and large have a friendly view of Ireland at present.
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Why would the Irish want to give dfacto support to Saddam by not allowing US military personnel to land at Shannon?

Shannon is under utilised anyway. Look at how few planes use this airport.

I think Irish opposition to the use of Shannon by the US is pretty sad.

I think that the people of Iraq are living in fear. Are they surposed to wait until Saddam passes away?

Saddam used chemical weapons on his own people.

The whole Shannon saga has turned into a bandwagon.

A band wagon made up from people with genuine concerns, those who are Anti American & those who are pinko liberals.

The government have made the decision to use Shannon. I think all the people who are opposed to this decision can jump up & down as much as they like but the decision has been made.

To be honest, I'd have my doubts as to how many Irish people, dissagree with the use of Shannon by the U.S
    Maybe it's the company I mix in but most are supportive.

Thankfully, as in the U.S we have the right to object to whatever we like,but to my mind, I'd rather be , handing out soup and blankets to the homeless in this country, than camping out in Shannon, it would be a better use of my spare time.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind going out foreign, maybe even to Iraq and helping out the homeless there or the sick in their badly starved hospitals.

I sometimes wonder at the marvels/complexities of the human race...
    There we have a country with a huge oil reserve capable of giving it's people, a fair lifestyle, if only they got rid of Sadam, became a democracy, without comprimising their Islamic beliefs( Turkey style, imperfect but improving as that country is...) and sold their oil on the open market.
    Instead it is ruled by a despot, who thinks we are all infidels, because we don't agree with his approach to Ruling, and whose idea of democracy involves doing away with the opposition, even if it's a blood relative:eek:
    This mad despot, probably would support anyone who is an enemy of the great infidel, ie Al Q'ueda if left unchecked.

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

who thinks we are all infidels

i think youve been listening to the propaganda that says iraq was responsible for 9/11. before 1991 iraq was a close ally of the US and still is a very non-secular islamic country. the idea that it is iraq preaching the west are the infedels is about as absurd as the notion that the coming war against iraq is for the good of the oppressed iraqi people and not the benefit of US oil companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Andor

Why would the Irish want to give dfacto support to Saddam by not allowing US military personnel to land at Shannon?
    It has nothing at all to do with Saddam, it has everything to do with OUR constitution on such matters.

Shannon is under utilised anyway. Look at how few planes use this airport.

Jesus, yea...What a waste of an Airport, why dont we give it to those guys over there who could possibly be ignoring our democratic rights.

I think Irish opposition to the use of Shannon by the US is pretty sad.

your saying its pretty sad for us to defend our constitution? Its quite possible that these people are smuggling weapons through our supposedly neutral Country.

I think that the people of Iraq are living in fear. Are they surposed to wait until Saddam passes away?

You apparently think alot, but the results of your ponderings never seems to churn any valid material to back it up? No offense.

Saddam used chemical weapons on his own people.

I agree that Saddam is a nutcase, but i dont see how the fight against him - or any of the other nutcases out there for that matter - should be brought upon us, a neutral country.

The whole Shannon saga has turned into a bandwagon.

A band wagon made up from people with genuine concerns, those who are Anti American & those who are pinko liberals.

Well 'git on board, yeehaw, etc.

I've seen the term Pinko Liberal' used before, i think it was on some episode of the simpsons where the stereotyped american army-nutcase used it as a derogatory remark? ooh, i bet theres irony in there somewhere!:).

The government have made the decision to use Shannon. I think all the people who are opposed to this decision can jump up & down as much as they like but the decision has been made.

The decision has been made? Emm, the Government represent the People (thats us) if we have a problem with this then if we complain and bitch enough it must be investigated.

Originally posted by Cork
    dfacto
    The Cork (city, not the boards.ie member) speeling of "de facto"
    Originally posted by Cork
    The government have made the decision to use Shannon.
    Well actually a ministerial decision needs to be made for each and every transit. By law, no blanket permission can be given (which really annoyed the Canadians).

Originally posted by DiscoStu
    i think youve been listening to the propaganda that says iraq was responsible for 9/11. before 1991 iraq was a close ally of the US and still is a very non-secular islamic country. the idea that it is iraq preaching the west are the infedels is about as absurd as the notion that the coming war against iraq is for the good of the oppressed iraqi people and not the benefit of US oil companies.
    My thoughts on this are expressed in the other thread on the subject.
    But in summary, he does think the U.S is the great infidel now, and indeed his speech last night, to his loyal people on Iraqi TV gave that view of America, several times.
    Yes for a long time after the Iranian revolution, the U.S supported Iraq, but this was in response to a perceived threat from Iran who after the overthrow of the Shah were very anti U.S and propegated fundamentalism throughtout the region.
    It was understandable in my view that they would support, a country that was at war with Iran, but rather ironic , that the consequences of this have to be dealt with now.
    The leader, they were supporting became a bigger threat than the evil, they thought this support was going to help defeat.
    mm

Originally posted by Victor
    Well actually a ministerial decision needs to be made for each and every transit. By law, no blanket permission can be given (which really annoyed the Canadians).
    Wow!
    Bet the paper work on that must be piling up!
    I wonder would it be available under an FOI request, or would be governed, by a 30 year rule or summat?
    You come with me Victor and we'll ask for it, I'll supply the wheelbarrow:D
    mm

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Man
    I wonder would it be available under an FOI request, or would be governed, by a 30 year rule or summat?
    Probably 30 year rule. Definitely not covered by FOIA.

Advertisement