Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GF4 ti4200 MX chip set or not?

• 17-01-2003 2:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭

Here`s a question for you tech gurus out there!
    A friend of mine ( who is fairlly reliable, though not 100% sure of this either ) told me that the gf4 ti 4200 uses the MX chip set and although it runs well. It will not run doom3 whan it comes out. Which is the reason im buying the thing. My gf2 gts is still fine at the moment imo. Is there any truth to this? my mate did admit he could be wrong, but i would like ot know before i buy the thing. They are getting cheap now that the new card is on the way.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,016 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The mx and the ti are variants of the geforce 4, although the ti is much much better. (the TI is about 4 times faster than the MX).
    The geforce4mx is roughly similar to the geforce2ti.

The geforce 4 will run doom3 without any hassle. (the rumoured minimum spec is a geforce1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Where does your friend get his information? :rolleyes:

The GeForce 4MX and Ti4200 are entirely different. The Radeon 9700 runs Doom3 fine, as will the FX. It'll run on the GF4's, but you'll have to turn detail down.

No chance on the GF4 MX. It's absolutely dire. Get yourself a 9700 on Ebay, or get one of the cheaper versions of the FX when it's out.
    Originally posted by k.oriordan
    (the rumoured minimum spec is a geforce1)

Not a chance. Minimum spec on games out *now* is more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

YEah he was sayint that they were dufferent that the ti4200 is better but its still the mx chipset. Im gona o down to blanch shopping center and liik st the back of the box and see if there is any mention of MX on the ti4200 anyway. But im with you guys on this anyway i dont think it has that crappy chip set, but i wana be sure before i part with my money!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The GF4MX cards are based on the GF2 core, so for yourself it wouldn't be much of an upgrade at all. Granted it's optimised and improved and whatnot, but it's still old technology.

The Ti4200 is basically a slower version of the Ti4400/4600 card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ive got a ti4200, and i bloody rocks.
    upgraded from a kyro2 4500, and the difference was incredible.

excel is smooth, word gets up to 156fps, and outlook comes in 2 million shades of brown.

oh, and power point can get through 2 slides a minute, with thise curtain presentaion things too!!!!!

oh, and age of empires looks good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The Geforce 4 Ti4200 has a "Ti" chipset not an "MX" chipset. Performance wise it will hammer anything the "MX" can ever hope to produce.

And the usual point RE: Ti4200 performance is that while the 128Mb cards have more memory, it also tends to be slower to reduce costs. Hence the 64Mb model performs slightly better.

I'll be waiting until Doom3 is officially released as my Geforce 2 Ti still suits my needs right now and card prices will drop. (especially after the FX is released)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Dazzer

ROFL WWM :D

BTW I have a GF Ti4200 and as WWM stated it's an excellent GFX card. The box states it's part of the Ti family and say's nothing about it being based on the MX chip. It's a GeForce Ti, just the slowest out of the three variations, it still has all the bells and whistles the other two have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 sbp

I just don get it...How can the guy who has 'frag the weak...buy in...' in his signature ask such a n00b question?

The DOOM 3 LEAK which everyone on the internet is buzzing about is a friggin ALPHA leak, it's not even the official ALPHA demo or whatever - that means that the ENGINE is absolutley unoptimized for anyhting. So questions 'will gf4 ti4200 will be good enough for playing Doom 3' are the same as asking 'will gf4 ti4200 will be good enough for playing Return To Castle Wolfenstein 3' or 'Medal of Honor 3', or 'Battlefield 1943' etc etc (get my point???)

Btw Ti stands for Titanium - and 4200 Ti cards are just great (Ok, Radeon 9500pro, 9700pro are kickin their ass, but still...). MX cards are CRAP.

Additionaly, NVIDIA allowed card manufacturers to sell factory overclocked gf4 ti4200 cards, which are running at gf4 ti 4400 speeds (like Abit Siluro OTES, AOpen Aelous etc etc) 'from-da-box'.
    (As I personally have OTES, 'from-da-box' it runs at 275 core/550 Memory, I have raised the clocks a bit to get to 305/610 which is close to 4600)

To make my point: If you want a great gfx card, buy gf4 ti 4200. U can, as stated above, buy factory overclocked one (Like Abit Siluro OTES, komplett has those) to save a bit of money and have gf4 ti4400 for the price of gf4 ti4200.

Will that card still be great in 1 year or 2 years time? Well, think about other things u have in your machine. Are they still great after 2 years????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I recently bought the creative gf4 ti4200 of komplett.

Its a great card, i got around 12000 in 3dmark at low res and low visuals.

Spookey, the answer to your quesy is in your question :).

Now i only bought the GF4 as i sold my old pc(with gf2 gts) at xmas, and was using a kyro2 for an while. When the opportunity came to sell the kyro, i did.

But i was planning to wait for prices to drop, but imho opinion they wont drop that much

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

All the Geforce4 Ti cards have DDR memory.

With the Ti 4200 there are the two models (64 Mb DDR and 128 Mb DDR). Consequently to make the cards with 128 Mb more reasonably priced they are normally given lower speed DDR RAM than the 64 Mb cards.

Right now there are very few games that need the full memory of a 64 Mb card so the extra 64 Mb on the 128 Mb cards isn't a huge gain. This means that the faster RAM on the 64 Mb card produces a small performance increase. (and a drop in price)

And if you want a Hard Boiled Overclocking Ti4200:

http://www.theoverclockingstore.co.uk/productinfo.php?basket_session=af8f279adee402c90d4e466bef226c9b&codeid=801072

The memory spec allows it to be *stably* overclocked to over 700 MHz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

Yes, tis such a shame that they sell alot of the 4200s 128s with 3.6 and 4.* ns DDR memory.... Though the more expensive ones might have 3.4, its still slightly slower then the 64mb one (3.3ns).

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    You should read back what you are writing before you post it, to see if makes any sense. This doesn't. Also I don't believe that someone who as 900+ posts on this board, doesn't know the difference between these cards, so this can only be a troll post.

. Yet, so it a bit stupid buying a card for a game that you can't buy yet. Wait until its released.

Ok I feel the need to respond to this one ( Giving me yet another post , Wohoo me.. Sarcasm that ) . so i`ll apoligse for the long post now.

Any way I asked this question already knowing the answer but my friend who knows his stuff was putting me off buying the ti 4200. I have done my research on this card albeit it being 6 months ago or more, so my memory was a bit hazzy on this one!

For those that dont know there is one major difference between the ti 4200 ( I`ll just call it the 42, 44,46 ect from now on) .
    The 44 and 46 came out a good while before the 42 but they were both V Expevsive. So along the 42. The card Physically is a good but smaller that the 44 or 46 whick are real long cards. The 42 being much shorter by over an inch! I put this down to better minatureisation in the new card. So when i heard some one who taught me a lot of my IT stuff over the last 5 years ( I did electronics in coledge not IT you see, i dont even have an EDCL for god sake) told me this, and given the physical differences in the card i thought this needed some invistigation. Any other times i have asked tech questions in irc or boards i alwas found peps to be V helpfull!

I am not loaded like some people and my aditiction ( My 4 PC`s, and my Euro calculator ;p ) swallow up a lot of my money so i wanted to be dam sure before i baught the ti 42 that it was exactally what i thought it was. I went into game in blanch today and read every word on the back of the box to make sure the letters MX were no where to be seen, and they were not. Thanks to Koneko, she knows her stuff, she has confirmed what i already know. I needed to know this before i part with 200 quid that i dont have. So i say thanks to all the helpfull people on boards.ie. And recardo youre information that was in keeping with the topic of the thread is apreaciated and thanks for it.

An intresting post script to this story!
    I send my so called genius mate the link to this thread ( Yeah i know how to do that too ) he read it and rang me back to tell me he was taking the mick outa me and see if he could put me off the card! cause he knew i would listen to every thing he said. Ha Ha billy, very funny!

Mods: my question has been answered to my satification feel free to lock this thread now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

It basically comes down to this. Nvidia have 2 "lines" of graphics card chip, mx and ti. Ti is completely different to mx, it has twice the number of rendering pipelines. The only different between ti4200 and ti4600 is clock speed, they are the same chip. The fac that you still had doubts half way through this thread is a bit disturbing to be honest. Fair enough, the ti4200 is a bit shorter. Since it doesn't run at such a high clock speed as the ti4600, it doesn't require such advanced power circuitry, also for a long time ti4200 cards came only with 64mb ram.

NAh gerry onece koneko and k ordiabn said it dident contain the mx xhip set despite the name I was sure! Names in technonogy can be deceptive at times. I rember the first time i encountered the athlop XP 1600. And we all know thay dont run at 1.6 gig!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    said it dident contain the mx xhip set despite the name I was sure! !

yes because nVidia Ti4200 chipset sounds so much like MX!

just buy the god damn card!

Advertisement