Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inflation of 5%

Options
  • 17-01-2003 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Well inflation of 5% seems to absolutely ingrained into our economy. RTE published this table in December (before the budgetary increases took affect).

At what point is the Irish Consumer going to stand up for themselves, 'cos I see this as primarily a lack of consumer education. The new billboard campaign is start, but I would much prefer to see billboards ad's reading 'Will you for christ's sake shop around !'

The top 20 categories of consumer goods for inflation in the first 11 months of this year are as follows:

1. Motor Cycle Insurance -- up 25.9%

2. Water and refuse charges -- up 19.2%

3. Health insurance -- up 17.2%

4. Hospital services -- up 15.7%

5. Third level education -- up 13%

6. Sports admittance -- up 12.5%

7. Secondary education -- up 12.1%

8. Primary education -- up 11.6%

9. Sports participation -- up 10.8%

10. Insurance -- up 10.2%

11. Other Education and Training -- up 10%

12. Other personal grooming -- up 9.9%

13. Potatoes -- up 9.8%

14. Petrol -- up 9.5%

15. Dental services -- up 9.2%

16. Shoe repairs -- up 9%

17. Soft drinks and mineral water -- up 8.9%

18. Hairdressing -- up 8.6%

19. Nightclubs -- up 8.6%

20. Fresh fish -- up 8.2%

The annual rate of inflation for the 12 months to the middle of November is 4.8%, more than twice the European average

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I notice RTE failed to include the 40% hike in the TV licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is proberly on the wrong board.

To Business/Finance/Economics I'd say.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I can take a hint.

Moved... moved like the weblink it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

:o And with the $ at nearly 1.07... you'd be better off order stuff statewise... hell... amazon.com is cheaper than amazon.co.uk now.

I really can't see inflation going up this fast for much longer since we will be soooo far ahead of the rest of Europe that Ireland INC would have to shut shop or move to the continent. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Inflation is being predominantily driven by the service sector,
    business owners in this sector will continue to increase prices as long people continue to pay them. I doubt it will be long before we see dublin pub owners charging 5 euro for a pint (in fact it has already happened me thinks).

Irish people need to wake up, and start counting the god damn pennies, start demanding value for their money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

That is true but I believe it's a short-term gain for the services sector if any (eg. staff/fuel costs). Anyway again, less and less money will be available for this inflation to continue. Not to mention that unemployment will begin to rise putting a damper on that kind of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

yeah,

I see what you mean, just makes me sad thought that we 'the people' got let ourselves get screwed over so badily. I hope that we will learn from it.

Its a pity that it takes unemployment etc to teach us what we should have known from the start, be careful with the cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

Damn right Ray

These days I head out in town only for special ocassions, birthdays etc. And even then the gf always brings a couple of nags in her bag.

fcukem in the ear - I refuse to pay €6 for a jd&coke :mad:

Advertisement