Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

michael owen

• 17-01-2003 4:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭

liverpool have tried soo many combinations with owen over the last few seasons, owen/fowler, owen/heskey, owen/diouf and so on!!! does anybody have the balls to say owen isnt the right man for the job at liverpool and ship him out for a good few million???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

are you joking? owen's a fantastic player who will continue to bang them in for years to come. i think the owen/ heskey think works quite well, heskey as the strong ball provider and keeper and owen as the schneaky poacher/striker. perhaps a place for an on form baros behind these two?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Owens has scored as many goals as Rudd has for manchester so far in the premiership, do you think United would be better off selling him too? Makes about as much sense if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭woosaysdan

all im saying is he has so many failed partnerships in my opinion is it not time for him to move on???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

Owen is a good player and I don't think Liverpool should sell him. But I would like to see Liverpool find someone with a better work rate and more consistancy to go up there with him. Maybe someone who doesn't have a recurring injury problem. It would also be a good idea to play the ball to them rather then hoofing it hopefully in their general direction, but I'll save that rant for another thread....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I dont think it is his fault. I blame the tactics Houllier employs. Heskey and Diouff are scoring nothing at least Owen has got a few, but defenders know how Liverpool are going to play now, and they know how to combat that, and that is why Owen is scoring less this season then previously. Blame the negative tactics and fewer opportunities. Owen is a great striker, as much as I dislike the guy, and I am amazed that Liverpool fans are giving him grief all season. I think most strikers would have considerably less goals at this stage of the season in his place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Definitely can't sell Owen. The transfer market has practically collapsed, so we wouldn't get a quarter ther amount for him that he's worth. The fact that Michael has had so many striking partners is not helping his form at all. It takes time for two strikers to gel, if GH keeps chopping and changing, then there's no chance for Michael to build a strikeforce with anyone. The strikers must be getting pretty pisst off because of the the lack of any service from the midfield. All because of the negative, head-scratching tactics that GH is continuing to use, where the strikers are feeding on scraps hoofed down the channels to them by the defenders.
    Any world-class striker would struggle in the Liverpool side at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Owen is not the problem, he's scored about a hundred League goals and should be Liverpools all time scorer by the time he retires. Nope its all Houliers fault, no-one knows who the hell is going to be upfront or indeed anywhere else from one game to the next. Also
    as stated the transfere markets in freefall, he's worth far more than the 12-14 mill you'd get for him right now.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Theres no way Liverpool should even consider selling Owen. He might not be in a rich vein of form but his is no worse than the Liverpool team as a whole at the moment.

As mentioned above, everyone has seen how little activity there is in the transfer market, and how much below his worth Owen will fetch.

He's perfect for liverpool. He's an excellent striker, he's very loyal to the club (something not to be underestimated) and is a model professional (the kind of guy who stays with a club for years with no problems).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

he does tend to go through rich veins of form where he scores 10 goal in 4 games etc but a lot of the time he doesnt score any, most Liverpool fans will admit this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

I agree with woosaysdan, Owen is a good player but he just can't seem to perform consistently, they should either sell him or get someone who can provide him with better ammo than he is getting at the minute.

21/25

• Advertisement
Advertisement