Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terry Pratchett

Options
  • 18-01-2003 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Has anyone ever read the discworld novels? I think they are wonderfully funny!! I'm halfway through Soul Music, i love it!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Arken Thell

I couldnt agree more, i just love the way he get's logic and put's it upside down so that it's hilarioulsy funny. the guy's a genius

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Used to like him, but he hasn't had a new idea in 5 years.

Last couple I bother reading were tortuous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yeah, I got a lot of Terry Pratchett books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Yeah, he peaked years ago, and has been going steadily downhill since. To draw a parallel to the Simpsons though, whatever about his new stuff, a lot of his books are genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I found his last one(?) Thief of Time bloody hilarious had me in knots.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭deezoid

I think he's trying too hard to mirror the real world in his most recent books. The discworld is evolving too fast. I think the parrallels are are well documented in the Science of the Discworld I &II.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 King of Arrakis

Can anyone reccomend any discworld novels? Ive read Reaper Man and Soul Music. Is Guards! Guards! any good? Ive also heard
    good things about Men at Arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

Guards! Guards! and Men At Arms are, indeed, fantastic. Read Guards! Guards! first, though, as they're in the same series. Generally speaking, it helps if not to read each book chronologically, at least the serieses (like the watch, the witches, Death, Rincewind) in the right order. I really liked Wyrd Sisters meself, fantastic read if you like Macbeth.

In any case, read any of them in whatever order whenever it takes your fancy, most are gems. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Have them all,
    Have read them all,
    Lovved them all, bar one that Maurice but it was sold as a kids book.

I havene't picked up Nanny Ogg's cookbook yet but am planning on it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 272 ✭✭kingconor

Yeah they are superb!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭s10

not thief of time but the lastest hardback cant remember the name doh , but it was great a big improvement , on the last few he has released .
    i kinda lost interest after interesting times ,
    but the lastest one is worth a read :)
    any of you guys like david gemmel
    another of my favorites

best pratchet book >
    guards guards
    best gemmel book >
    ledgend
    enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

FYI s10,

New Gemmell book about Druss is apparently on the way.

i look foward to it
    someone was spreading a rumor to a film about druss
    over two years ago , wonder what happened to it ?

as enjoyable as guards guards or men at arms
    maybe even more

well worth the buy
    in Hard Back @ the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭scipio_major

A word of warning about the Nightwatch. Since it's one of these main character goes back in time and shows his younger self "the Way" you won't get it on as many levels as those you have read the other Watchmen Discworld books (he's so good even his serieses[1] have serieses of their own). I especially had fun trying to work out Nobby's age from it.

For the record the Watchmen books are in order:
    Guards Guards
    Men at Arms
    Feet of Clay
    Jingo
    The Fifth Elephant
    <The Truth, while not a Watch book per se Vimes and co. are important in it>
    and then
    Nightwatch

fade to credits
    Scipio_major

[1] Yes I am aware this isn't proper grammer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Chowmein

My favourite author, night watch (the newest book) is just fantastic and probs his best in a while (though I did also think thief of time was brilliant as well , which it helps to have read along with the rest of the guards series before reading night watch)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Yeah i think his books are OK. the ones ive read. Ive read Soul Music and all the books realted to Death an all, a great character. Bu i couldent get into his witch books with grann OG an all! I watched the cartoons ant they put me off the witches!

I never got the joke He looks elfish till i saw the cartoon! You really have to hear it spoken to apreicate it!

Advertisement