Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop With Projector

• 18-01-2003 3:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭

Was wondering if its possible when you have a laptop connected to a projector for you to have one output going onto the screen while you can still work on the laptops screen to say type something and then have it displayed while you type something else without it showing up on the screen,

if this is possible how is it done, is there any software etc etc?

Thx
    Dan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

To the best of my knowledge no.

They're using the same Graphics card with a single output. So exactly the same picture is sent to the VGA port and the TFT screen.

If it is introduced it would surely only be on the most expensive models first. It would require a dual head mobile graphics card after all ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

My former boss had a two year old Toshiba that supported two desktops. His laptop was based on the old Radeon chip, so any the more modern versions should be able to handle the same. His laptop was top of the range at time.

He could choose to mirror the display or create a new display on the VGA output.

Matt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel815/options.htm

Seems to be what i`m after wonder if that chipset comes with many laptops

did some googling around as well and didnt find much else so it seems that chipset is the best option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

My former boss had a two year old Toshiba that supported two desktops.

I stand corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeas I have a top of the range toshiba (bought it about 6 months ago) and I can still use the display while I have it plugged into either a projector via the VGA port or to a TV or projector via the TV out port...

so your answer is yes :D

• Advertisement

and where would one purchase one of these toshibas and how much ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by rymus
    yeas I have a top of the range toshiba (bought it about 6 months ago) and I can still use the display while I have it plugged into either a projector via the VGA port or to a TV or projector via the TV out port...

so your answer is yes :D

all laptops can do that, however can the image on the projector be different to that on the laptop screen ? i.e. can you still type a mail while a presentation is being displayed on the projector?
    Which is whats being asked I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Kali
    all laptops can do that, however can the image on the projector be different to that on the laptop screen ? i.e. can you still type a mail while a presentation is being displayed on the projector?

I also have a Toshiba (Satellite 1110) and I use it with a projector to do quiz nights, discos and movie nights in our local community club. Rather than just duplicating what you see on the laptop's screen, you can also EXTEND your Windows desktop onto the other screen... i.e.: It's the same Windows desktop, just a different part of it.

more info: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/howto/personalize/multimonitor.asp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Kali
    i.e. can you still type a mail while a presentation is being displayed on the projector?

Yes... I just plugged an LCD monitor into my VGA out port, went into display properties where the external monitor is setup, selected the external monitor and clicked "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" (your standard multiple monitor thingy). Now your desktop is displayed over 2 monitors, though theres no icons or taskbar on the second monitor. You can control colour depths and resolutions independantly for the 2 monitors (my laptop display was at 1600x1200 whereas the external LCD could only handle 1024x768). I am now running microsoft word on the second monitor and still typing this post on my laptops display (funky eh?)

It does mean that you have to drag your mouse off the left or right hand side of the primary screen to use anything on the external monitor... but thats not exactly a monumental issue. Anyway, thats me done.. :D

<edit>D'oh, what Bard said... (read before you post, read before you post)</edit>

yeah that was what i was asking
    thats also the work its destined for bard what did that model cost you?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Danny
    yeah that was what i was asking
    thats also the work its destined for bard what did that model cost you?

Presuming you mean the laptop and not the projector, I got it as a straight swap replacement for a crappy Advent laptop that I'd bought in Dixons. They were retailing it at about €1,899 at the time, which was almost €200 more than I'd paid for the Advent (but there was no way, after all the hassle I'd had with them and their support people, that I was paying the difference).

Where is it that you're going to be doing this work, btw..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

surely you mean a straight swap by Dixons standards !

would you go back ?

M

Originally posted by Muck
    surely you mean a straight swap by Dixons standards !

Yerrah t'was aye that... but at the same time, it was a considerable upgrade (well, 700Mhz faster) from the (disappointing) machine I had, and for nothing too. Took a fair bit of b|tching at the sales rep and local manager (and I'm good at that!) to get it sorted out but I think I came out of it fairly well with the machine I ended up with, all things considered.

would you go back ?

M

Not by choice, no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just to add, Dell laptops support this dual monitor functionality also..

Ah around the west of the country bard your turf is safe any way its for a club tour just putting names up on the screen and throwing up a winamp vis when things are slow was wondering about the dual display because it will all be done on the fly and i doubted the crowd would like to see me twiddling about with their names before they went up

Advertisement