Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Newbie Network

Options
  • 18-01-2003 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

Ok a went out ad got me a really simple networking kit. Cables, Hub and cards.

When i got home i rigged it al up ran th network setup wizard in XP then made the setup disk and ran it on the win 98 machine everyting went ok but the XP machine can't see the 98 one and the 98 one well i think that has an astigmatism :D. on the hub the only light that flashs is the one xp is wired to.

I'm not sure whats wrong any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

What type of cable are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

The discription onthe box calls it 10BaseT (UTP) Network cables.

These are connected to 10/100 ethernet cards that i had (Well one came with the pc and the other i put in) the ethernet cards that came with the NetworkKit are 10Base and i'm not using them should i be?

Make sure the network settings for speed is auto select. Is it crossover UTP Cat.5 Cable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

1. Make sure your card is correctly installed into the 98 machine with the right driver. Right click on the "My Computer" icon. Select "Properties" from the menu and select the "Device Manager" tab. Your network card should be listed here.

2. Check the cable by swapping it with the one linked to the XP machine. A light should come on on both the hub and the network card.

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Make sure the network settings for speed is auto select. Is it crossover UTP Cat.5 Cable?

No it's not because it's going into a hub.

• Advertisement

I'm just thinking here now is there some way that you have to logon to the network in win98?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yeah, you need to log onto the network alright, inorder to access windows shares etc. however, tcp/ip should still work.

either way. right click on network neighbourhood->properties
    then in the primary logon drop down box select microsoft networking.

However, if the light isn't appearing on the hub it is not a good sign. Try swap the card in the win98 pc with another of the cards you got in the kit. make sure you havent plugged the cable into a port on the hub marked 'uplink'.

Gav

Originally posted by Kappar
    No it's not because it's going into a hub.

I know, I was just making sure, I fell for that mistake when I got a switch. I ordered crossover instead of straight.

Originally posted by Verb
    Yeah, you need to log onto the network alright, inorder to access windows shares etc. however, tcp/ip should still work.

either way. right click on network neighbourhood->properties
    then in the primary logon drop down box select microsoft networking.

Client for Microsoft Networks is selected.
    However, if the light isn't appearing on the hub it is not a good sign. Try swap the card in the win98 pc with another of the cards you got in the kit. make sure you havent plugged the cable into a port on the hub marked 'uplink'.

The light on the hub for both the connections lights up but the one going from the Win98 doesn't flash to show send Data and the LAC activity on the XP machine shows 812 sent 0 recived.

I've swaped the cards in the 98 machine and tried a new cable still zip

It's really getting annoying now

The 98 machine is in need of a good format so i'll do that and start from scratch mabey.

I know, I was just making sure, I fell for that mistake when I got a switch. I ordered crossover instead of straight.

And i got straight and then figured out i needed a hub. :D

• Advertisement

Have you an audigy card or something with a firewire port on any or all PC's?

Have you an audigy card or something with a firewire port on any or all PC's?

The the XP Machine has a Firewire port

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭conor-mr2

Are the cards installed properly?
    My computer--control panel--system--hardware---network adaptors---are they installed---no icons indicating problems----you know the drill here.
    Now when you click on network properties are the protocols there? tcp/ip etc.
    configure both computers to have manual ip addresses--192.168.1.1, 192.168.1.1 give both a netmask of 255.255.255.0.
    Now after the inescapable rebooting of the computers open up a command prompt on each pc.
    Now from pc one (192.168.1.1) see if you can ping 192.168.1.1, see if you can ping 127.0.0.1, finally see if you can ping 192.168.1.2 (ie the other pc). Repeat this from the other pc----ping 192.168.1.2, ping 127.0.0.1 ,ping 192.168.1.1.

If not then there are probs. maybe not installed card properly or one card not working...

You need to create a network bridge. I installed a audigy card in my xp machine and whatever I did the PC stopped seeing each other. MASSIVE HEADACHE. I'm not at my computer at the moment so I instruct you to create a network bridge. Go into network connections and try and create one, I'll get back to you on friday if you cant create one.

Ok the format on the win98 machine has done the trick all seems to be working now bar when i am copying a large amount of files accross the network the computers drops the connection and cant see each other which requires me to Disable then re-enable the connection untill it's fixed (Sometime it requires a restart) but apart from this it seems ok.

Thanks for everyone's help if you know how i could sort out my other problom feel free to post :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dunno if it'll be more reliable for copying over files, but set up an ftp server on both machines, and use some sort of ftp client to transfer files.

Kind of negates the whole filesharing thing, but will give you some experience with ftp.

Advertisement