Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 computers 1 kb/mouse/monitor

• 19-01-2003 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

okay, im getting a second pc at uni, but i dont have the space for a second load of kit

basically what im looking for is a box with a switch on the front which lets me have two computers but only one keyboard/mouse/monitor...

does such a device exist, and how much..

no smart alec "google" answers either please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Kenshin

Yes, it does exist. In work someone was using one with 4 PCs, so I guess there should be one that works for 2 aswell...
    As for the price, I have no idea, and I'm not going to look it up for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

yep kvm switch costly but they exist . peats / maplins dont know if komplett do them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭halkar

Pcworld has the Belkin KVM devices and for two PCs you need this one which works for both USB and PS2 keyboards and mouses. Not sure of the prices but they are expensive, can be around €150-€200. The cheapest in the Belkin range is. this one for PS2 devices and it is £56stg +shipping (£20stg) from Dabs. Komplett doesn't have them and you probably be better to go to Wanted board under Classifieds and try to get a second hand one.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

thanks guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Peats do manual data switchs from about the 20euro mark.. these don't come with cables however, and you'll need 6x PS2-PS2 cables and 2x SVGA cables.. (make sure they're properly shielded otherwise you'll get a ****ty phase on your display)...

It should work out about 25+30+45 for the equipment (or around the 100euro mark), but if you can get a cheap Belkin somewhere I'd throughly reccomend it over a manual switch, as the Belkins have no problems regarding rebooting, different mice, etc.

Check out..
    http://www.peats.ie/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=567&type=5&path=14x108

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SemperFi

they exist and come in a wide range of types and capacities, try searching for 'switchbox'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Two things.

1) DO NOT get a manual switch. They're crap. Utter rubbish. All of them. They'd almost be useful for a few servers that never make it out of text mode, only they always break at the most inconvenient moment possible.

2) Why bother with a keyboard and mouse at all? Network the pair of them (about 30 euro for a pair of 100BaseT cards and a crossover cable), stick Linux or FreeBSD on the old machine and access it with ssh, ftp, http, vnc, rdp, smb, or whatever TLA you fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

pcanywhere host and remote is cheaper than most good quality 2 port KVM boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Winvnc is even cheaper (free) if you're going that route, and lot less hassle than pcAnywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cherrio

Hi,

what you are looking for is a KVM (Keyboard, VGA (Monitor) and Mouse). May I suggest you checkout http://www.startech.com they do some great ones.

I bought the http://www.startech.com/ststore/itemdetail.cfm?product_id=SV431 for about $110 from www.buy.com.

It is the best money I have ever spent on my computer. If you can afford it go for a KVM that has individual buttons for each PC (some have only 1 button and you have to cycle through all the comps). Having lights on it is also very useful, lets you know which comp your on.

If your looking for a cheaper one, LinkSys also have a range of KVMs. Make sure that KVM cable comes with it or that you order it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

yeah i can use terminal services and vnc between them, but you cant play games over vnc/ts/pca :o)

ive got one machine setup to be a gaming machine and the other is setup as a silent machine to watch movies and download in the night

Advertisement