Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Indecisive on whether to buy a nokia7650

• 19-01-2003 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭

For some strange reason i can actually afford to buy the nokia 7650, firstly its 599 euro on vodafone ready to go and its 346 sterling on expansys without a sim card me thinks, which is somewhere in the region of 525 euro. Before i consider parting with my beautiful cash, will there be any reduction in prices on any of the irish networks any time soon, any better or even more advanced models that are going to be released in the coming months which fall within my price bracket of 600euro(which in fairness is a lot of fukn money for a phone) that i should hold out for.

Sshhhhhpank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

just came across this nokia 3650, it looks pretty cool, just wondering what the price will be and when it'll be released or should i just go ahead with the 7650?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Check out www.mphone.co.uk they usually have good deals on sim-free mobiles. Also don't be afraid to buy on E-bay you can get some great deals. I reckon you could get a brand new unlocked 7650 on E-bay for under £200 (sterling). I've bought 3 phones on ebay in the last year and I've never had any problems!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭v10

From Saturday 18th the Nokia 7650 dropped to €469 for Ready to Go and €199 with a contract.

Just so you know the Nokia 8310 also dropped by €100 to €199 with a contract.

V10 ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I also remember seeing an add for o2 last night,
    it said the 7650 was 299 on speakeasy till the end of this month..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Bloody hell - €199 for something with an OS on it - not bad.
    Kinda thinkin about getting a 7650 too but is it "old" technology already, will I, in 6 months say, be lumping about a mobile brick? Am I being too fickle? :p
    Any one here got anything good/bad to say on the phone?

Dizz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Rebel18

Originally posted by Lenny
    I also remember seeing an add for o2 last night,
    it said the 7650 was 299 on speakeasy till the end of this month..

Is this true? Even if its the upgrade price I would still get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

Originally posted by IrishDizz
    will I, in 6 months say, be lumping about a mobile brick?

a lot of people have been calling it that from day one ;)

Just found this, o2 are offering the 7650 for 299euro till the end of this month as lenny said, click here boys. I dont know if its contract or speakeasy as the o2 site is perhaps the worst of all three phone networks. If it is speakeasy i may play a game of truant tomorrow and go gets meh a phone. Can anyone tell what o2 is like, service wise say in comparison with vodafone live before i splash out my precious monies. Like how much credit you get with it and stuff.

Just been informed by a friend that vodafone probably would be the most politic choice, so if i buy the 7650 on o2 for 300euro would it be at all possible(costly) to get it unlocked then buy a vodafone sim card and kabazszo i have access to vodafone live which according to my mate is far superior than o2's offering.

But isn't vodafone the more expensive of the lot - especially for GPRS?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

But isn't vodafone the more expensive of the lot - especially for GPRS?

In my experience, yes, but no doubt somoene can provide figures to (dis?)prove this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭talla

€299 on o2 is contract as per T.V. adds for the last month

In my experience, yes, but no doubt somoene can provide figures to (dis?)prove this?

See this thread

ur point being???????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I have a brand new 7650 which is not locked to any network, for sale for 400Euros?
    That could solve your problem?
    The 7650 Is a great phone, it has the most features of all the phones out at the moment, the P800 looks like it will be a better package when it comes out (?) april maybe?
    But if your worried about your phone being out of date 6 months after buying, you might aswell never buy a phone :->
    pm me if your intrested?
    rabbit

P800 blows the 7650 out of the water on nearly every count apart from the quality of indoor pics, 7650 is slighly better

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

bah, dam contracts :(

Yeah that special o2 offer is contract only, that being the 7650 at 299euro till end of january.

v10, was the 7650 reduced in price on vodafone because i went into three shops today all charging something like 599 on rtg.

But there is light at the end of the tunnel. My brother is entitled to 150 euro upgrade on o2. So if i get him to buy the 7650 and i buy an o2 sim card, will it work or is the phone locked to the sim card.

v10, was the 7650 reduced in price on vodafone because i went into three shops today all charging something like 599 on rtg.
    Absolutely, they are only €469 or €449 for existing Ready to Go customers.

Where abouts are you located ? What shops did you check ?

V10 ;)

In fairness the guys working in the shop were not exactly the most competent guys around, could barely turn a phone i'd say.

A bit of help needed. My brother as i mentioned earliers is entitled to 150 euro upgrade(has had an esat/02 contract phone for last 2years) off a new 02 phone which he graciously said i could have, but a slight predicament. If he buys the nokia 7650 for me and i buy an o2 sim card and he uses his current sim card in his current phone, will he be able to keep the insurance on his current phone instead of it being automatically shifted over on to the 7650 which i'll be using. This is his only qualm which is kind of stalling my only method of getting a cheapo 7650.

• Advertisement

Rang 'round meself today and the O2 shop I rang (6 of em) all wanted €379 for a 7650 on contact... €199... ah if only...

Dizz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭JTMan

Rang 'round meself today and the O2 shop I rang (6 of em) all wanted €379

You rang 6 O2 shops and they all had the same price? Shocking :)

As has been said buying the phone 'second hand' unlocked is the best bet. I baught one (thanks V10) with no problems.

As has been said buying the phone 'second hand' unlocked is the best bet. I baught one (thanks V10) with no problems

I'm tempted to buy one off ebay.co.uk but how much p&p and other charges will they stick on to it after i put the final bid?

.....all wanted €379 for a 7650 on contact... €199... ah if only...

Dizz

I can't believe you doubt me ?

These phones are now €199 with a contract and as I said €469 on Ready to Go with vodafone. Confirmed myself today.
    O2 shop I rang (6 of em)
    I don't know how much they are on O2 - the price I'm quoting is Vodafone as I said.

BTW you said you were tempted to buy one off ebay.co.uk - how much are they available at ?

V10;)

My apologies V10 and all - I never got outta the bed today (fig.) been asleep all day here. Yes! €199 on vodafone contract for a 7650 :)

Dizz(y)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

great phone...thats all ill say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I’ve had the 7650 for a few days now, after exchanging a GX-1 for it and would say that I’m happy with it on balance. There are numerous third party applications for it, both Java and native to the OS (such as Doom :D ), the camera is of a better quality than the GX-1, and you have email. Many have complained of it being a bit of a brick, and it is a little larger/heavier than most phones, but not noticeably IMHO.

On the downside, however, is the battery life. The 7650 eats batteries. Two days with light(ish) usage, tops. Twelve hours with heavy usage :(

BTW you said you were tempted to buy one off ebay.co.uk - how much are they available at ?

They vary from 150sterling to about 300. Actually check ebay.com and you can get some pretty sweet 7650s for about $200 which is like 190 euro or 210euro once p&p is added. I know your thinking yeah but they are american phones, no my friend they are yanks selling european phones and i've seen some 3650s with english menu on ebay.com too.

Just be careful when buying off ebay that you don't get stung.

There are plenty of people selling all sorts of sought after items cheaper than the Manufacturers sell them only to take your money and never send the item.

You'll notice people selling phones on ebay that haven't even been released yet !

All you can do is avoid buying off people with low (<100) positive feedback points... and be sure to read their negative feedback.

The Nokia 7650 will be available even cheaper than €199 over the next few days for those willing to sign Vodafone contracts.

V10 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    On the downside, however, is the battery life. The 7650 eats batteries. Two days with light(ish) usage, tops. Twelve hours with heavy usage :( [/B]

Have you taken turned off all unnecessary options ala Russell Beattie optimisation?

~~~~~~~~~
    http://mmsmemo.blogspot.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    On the downside, however, is the battery life. The 7650 eats batteries. Two days with light(ish) usage, tops. Twelve hours with heavy usage

Originally posted by trap4
    Have you taken turned off all unnecessary options ala Russell Beattie optimisation?

great points by Russell - with most of them set like that on my phone, personally i don't find the light sensor the most efficient so if i'm say reading on the web i'd need to take control away from it

if i'm using it as my main device during the day it is lucky to last into the evening - and adding any HSCSD connections into the mix it's a bit like springing a leak :(

good points though, thanks for the link
    BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by trap4
    Nice one ;)

v10, i decided i'd go with the 459euro vodafone rtg deal which seems the best and most hassle free method.

Advertisement