Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some one help me! I am confused!

Options
  • 19-01-2003 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭

I saw a picture in the NME of a band. Two, three, four, five, or whatever skinny white(?) young men (possibly some girls as well, I can’t care) with old different coloured t-shirts, cool jackets, really really great sculpted ‘messy’ hair and beat up jeans on. It said they were going to be the biggest band in the world for the next ten seconds and as you can imagine, I got tremendously excited by this.

So here’s my problem. I can’t remember if it was:

The Thrills

or

The Beatings

or

The Strokes

or

The Hives

or

The Vines

or

The Datsuns

or

The Libertines

or

The D4

or

The 20-20’s

or

The Kills

or

The Music

or

The Darkness

or

The Hiss

or

The Warlocks

or

The Hellacopters

or

The (International) Noise Conspiracy

or

The Parkinsons

or

The Fuhrers

or

The 45’s

or

The Faint

or

The Cooper Temple Clause

or

The Von Bondies

or

The Eighties Matchbox B-line Disaster

or

The Sights

or

The Pattern

or

The Bandits

Help!!! Can anyone please end my misery?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

The most recent one I can remember was The Datsuns, but didn't that have a big "THE DATSUNS" logo on the front cover!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

Um...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Raggamuffin

did you make up some of those names?

i'm confused...

heheh i mean i've always said that bands like the vines really were ripping off nirvana badly, but the other day the radio was on i thin in some shop and i asked my friend "hey is this another new song by nirvana like "you know i'm right" " and he just laughed and informed me it was the vines.

thats just annoyed me.

anyway NME were going down the tube awhile ago, having not made a profit in 6 years maybe longer.
    So if you take that into account whilst reading it (and hot press for that matter).

i still think reading around on the internet is a better way to find out about new bands and genuine reviews. Then you just download the track and make you own judgement.

Well of course there are exceptions with some good writers working for the magazines but at least on the internet you don't have some d.ickhead editor (niall stokes) leaning over you tyring to get you to hate the catholic church and bend over for jim corr.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Originally posted by Raggamuffin
    you don't have some d.ickhead editor (niall stokes) leaning over you tyring to get you to bend over for jim corr.

Ah the voice of experience....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭bandit

They are all just trying to look like The Ramones, Dead Kennedys, The Clash etc from back in the day, except for the fact that it was original back then, oh and those bands actually made good music not like those aforementioned guff peddlers......

• Advertisement

experience..... nah your ma told me.....

The new rock revolution just aint my bag. drives me ****ing nuts to be honest and i opened an NME suppplement and flew into to a rage, literally screaming and yelling and throwing **** around the studio, because...well, the thread says it all really. Give me Nirvana any day.

Believe it or not, all those bands are real.

thats no way to talk about your sister now is it Raggamuffin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

isnt this kind of like the thread that died a horrible death (or did it) that someone started about the hives etc and everyone started fighting and im sure we got moderated and its propbably locked up osmewhere. i think i got accused of being a pretentious git in the thread too. anyway. 66e-totally agree with u. but i hope i wont be ashamed to come forward and admitting to liking one of those type of bands if someone good does slip through the net. (well...i was never ashamed of admitting i liked steps, so...) and no, i dont know what that has to do with the thread.

I've been trying all day to come up with a namei would chose if i started a 'new rock revolution' band.

I think i would call it 'The Bobby Pegg Suggestion'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Al Higgins

I think the whole r 'n'r revolution will be history by the summer,

afterall how many of those bands are actually good.....the strokes,the hives(one of their songs) and of course the Bandits!

I think that scene is more about image than anything else and frankly that sucks:mad:

Would never be asamed to say one or more of those bands twists my biscuit if they did, The Cooper Temple Clause i actually quiet like, but the constant stream every ****ing week of bands in the 'N ****ing M ****ing E' has pushed me over the edge, and by 'edge' i don't mean Dave Evans the effectsy guitary type flux capacitor guy in U2 neither.

P2PBSH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Er just a thought but isnt one of the main things about NME doing pieces on new bands??? I really don't see the problem......:confused: Fine the whole New Rock Revolution was trying a bit too hard to form some kind of movement... but if ya ask me a lot of the aforementioned bands have some good tunes and I dont see the harm of publicising new bands......

you should just ignore nme
    and download music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

to be honest, i aint familiar with nme, so, i would like someone to give me a point bu point account of why its so terrible that everyone constantly moans about it

Originally posted by lamda
    Er just a thought but isnt one of the main things about NME doing pieces on new bands???

Of course this is true, but i think that in some cases 'cool' is becoming more of a neccessity than actual music.

Aestheticaly pleasing is the order of the day.

And as regards downloading music, i'm way ahead of you...

Well I think everyone gets worked up over nothing..... I think its funny....
    And the nerd in me likes a crossword!! Oh ill finish one some day!!!

Originally posted by the66electric
    [

Aestheticaly pleasing is the order of the day.

[/B]

Im sorry but have you seen The Music???:p

its better than pop(mainstream) music.. but that does'nt mean that its right

Originally posted by lamda
    Im sorry but have you seen The Music???:p

Yes i have, and if you have standards like mine, they are jaw droppingly beautiful.

• Advertisement

You'd like me so 66e!!

Sorry, i'm too busy staring in wonderment at a plastic bag 'dancing' around a laneway to fancy you, maybe tomorrow.

Meh! your loss!

My girlfriend wouldnt be too amused anyway!
    she has no time for those individuals who only have time for aesthetics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sir

did you say girlfriend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 THE BEGTETS

THE 66 electric. thats funny!! your band starts with a The too!!!
    I totally agree with you though!! i couldn't give a stomach pull about the r'n'r revolution. it'll all be over soon. rest your tired eyes.... before i kiss them!!!

I'm not in a band. And if i was, it would only be coz i wanted to look cool and smoke cigarettes in the corner of Whelans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 azrial

I would agree that it is all very fashionable at the moment...BUT...you should have listened to one of those bands before putting them in a category...that being The Faint. The Faint arent a "rock revolution" band at all-they are an electronic band for the most part and are from Omaha Nebraska,origianally on the most amazing Saddle Creek label. Projects like Bright Eyes and The Good Life shared this label and are making amazing music from the middle of nowhere. They sound more like Duran Duran than The Strokes!
    Most of these bands have no staying power but...
    Its a phase, a generational thing and it will pass like tight rolled jeans and legwarmers but just remember, or beware for that matter that these things Always come back around...
    plus boys with messy hair and guitars beats MC Hammer anyday...

Yeah, i blagged that one a bit. i was on a website and saw that name and threw it on. but i am proud of the list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 359 ✭✭Macseamusa

wow, i got confused reading that
    i can do the mc hammer dance, but i dont have the pants:confused:
    i want a pair like his

• Advertisement
Advertisement