Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desperate to find a job ?

• 19-01-2003 6:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

I hope it ll make you laugh as much as it made me laugh. I have found this job offer on FAS web site :

The successful applicant must have the following skills: Fluency in written and spoken English and Japanese; Batchelor of Arts/Design Degree in Visual Communication or similar; Experience in design software products including, Photoshop 7, Illustrator 10, Quark 5, Virtual PC 5. Advanced skill level required on both Mac and PC in all products; Candidates must be willing to work some evenings and weekends at short notice.

The salary ? HAHA : 15k !!

And the kob is in Killiney,Co Dublin, a posh area ( so I imagine that you need money to live their.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

jesus, thats unbelievable ... 15k

I bet it was some ex recruitment agency dope that wrote the specs for the job, prolly someone that does not have a clue on how much is involved in having so much skills :eek:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

LOL
    you could make 3 times that working from a street corner with no skills at all! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

But unemployment is so much fun ;)

(Well actually I'd love a good job with reasonable money ... getting bored by the minute)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

The FAS web site contains quite a number of those little nuggets.

Saw a development and Chinese lang. position for minimum wage a few months ago.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

i think you will find that very little money is offered because the people who are giving the job dont have that much money, and many people will take a lower paid job to get a higher paid job.

after all, its easier to get a job, when you have a job....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ZeFrog

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    after all, its easier to get a job, when you have a job....

Mmmh I m not sure about that now. Even taking a shiet job requiers energy, plus you have no time to look for a another job(writing cover letters, giving ten phone calls a day, make researches on the Web + when u finish work you re more likely to go for a pint and anyway agencies and companies are finishing their day too...). And because the market is down you could well stay in this 'temporary' job for months which would in turn looks like a black point on your cv.
    (I say that because even with a Developer title on my cv I am offered hot line jobs, so I can imagine if the 1st line of the cv is Hot Liner ... I'd be stuck for ever)

Well..it's just my opinion man :)

Originally posted by ZeFrog
    And because the market is down you could well stay in this 'temporary' job for months which would in turn looks like a black point on your cv.

um, you can leave it off you know. i mean otherwise why not just remain unemployeed and leave that in your cv in bold type?
    Originally posted by ZeFrog
    (I say that because even with a Developer title on my cv I am offered hot line jobs, so I can imagine if the 1st line of the cv is Hot Liner ... I'd be stuck for ever)

agencies are paid on getting someone recruited.
    if they can get someone who is a develpoer and stick em in a call centre, then fair balls to them, thats being creative with their job.
    on the other hand, agencies are also after quick sales, which is why if they havent got you a job within a week they lose interest.
    you have to pester them.

and yes, it easier to get a job when you have a job. im not talking about the looking and the phone calls and the physical effort, im talking from a prospective employer view.

after all, id ask you some hard questions about why you are not working if you came to me for a job and you said you were so brilliant. i mean, the market might be hard, but if you cant even get a call centre job, you must be a complete muppet.....

:)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

agencies are paid on getting someone recruited.
    if they can get someone who is a develpoer and stick em in a call centre, then fair balls to them, thats being creative with their job.
    on the other hand, agencies are also after quick sales, which is why if they havent got you a job within a week they lose interest.
    you have to pester them.

this is so true WWM - you have to nag them to death, you have to get someone's name in the agency and make them get to know you personally so that in the end they get you what you want, just to get you off their backs.

plus you have no time to look for a another job(writing cover letters, giving ten phone calls a day, make researches on the Web + when u finish work

I'm afraid Froggie that you would have to spend your evenings and lunchtimes doing this for a while, pain in the ass as it might be there is no way around it!

oh, and Mercie, I'm quite sure if you stood around Leeson Street on a Fri or Sat night you would have no problem!! :D

thx for the tip everybody.

There are different ways to be unemployed. You can watch dvds for a year, you can sleep, you can go for a trip (if you got the bread) etc ...

As far as I'm concerned, I spent time taking Professionnal Certifications to add options to my job hunt. So I can explain the 'blank'.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

thats great,

any tips on recruitment agencies, i send in CV's follow up with a call, sometimes they tell me a job is going, they get my hopes up0 and then..... NOTHING! if i call they either say oh were waiting to hear back, or else its sorry its gone now.

Im with too many of them i think, every time u apply for a job on irishjobs or recruitireland its usually a recruitment agency, they should be called "non-recruitment" agencies.

anyways, any tips on how to deal with them (constructively that is) would be appreciated. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Lawnkiller

Welcome to Ireland, your call will soon be directed to one of our many over-qualified operators. Please wait......your business is very important to us....

<cue Enya or some other hold music sihte....with this msg interupting it every 30 seconds for the next ten minutes>

Originally posted by Morphéus

anyways, any tips on how to deal with them (constructively that is) would be appreciated. :(

Welcome to the club Morpheus!

Tip: You have to insist a lot until you get a person name, email and phone. And then you harrass this person.

Early last week I went to an agancy to register. The receptionist didn't want me to meet with anyone. She gave me a contact to call. He was away of the office 'til the end of the week. When I finally got him he said he wasn't a recruiter, he 's an IT in the agency ! He gave me another contact and told me he forwarded my cv. Then I called the fresh contact, she said she didn t get the cv and that I have to send it and then she d call me back. I sent it and she didn't call back.
    Early this week I called her back, she says she doesn t have anything but she will forward my cv to ANOTHER contact.
    10 mn after I received a phone call and ... I will meet with a recruiter to discuss my expectations ! (and he s not even recruiting for the kinda job I'm looking for !)

When I used to call to answer an ad posted on Irishjobs or other site, I was pissed of that they ask me something like : "And what kind of job are you looking for ? "
    DA! I am looking for job ref xxxx you posted !

Welcome to a world of frustrations.

most of them usually have their phone number and name on ads in the papers, or on websites whatever.
    you should be able to call them and set a meeting up.
    meet up.
    tell them about yourself.
    tell them that you have not dealt with any other agencies.
    tell them you want a job.
    tell them you want some interviews set up.
    make sure they well you what jobs, and not get fobbed off with 'i'll set you up later in the week' ****e.
    and get dates and times for them to have updated information.
    if they fail to contact you, phone them up.
    and then phone them up every day.
    make their lives a misery, and tell them you will go to another agency.
    after all, you are taking about 5 grand out of their pocket if you do go somewhere else.
    and if they really piss you off, then tell them that they have been unprofessional, and that you will be telling each and every agency and mentioning thier name personally.
    it may not get you any favours, but it will maybe help the next poor bast that comes along, and they may be able to help him.

okay then...listen up.... im goin to hell... whos comin with me....

I have a problem, i reckon im registered with EVERY agency in dublin.

Is this a good thing? i dont reckon it is.

If its not should i call them al up and ask to be UN registered and only stay with one or two?

im with...
    CPL
    ELAN IT
    IT People
    IT Selection
    Vantage
    EOLAS
    and a few others like Richmond and Fastrack and STELFOX.....

I NEVER get a call from any of them, most helpful are CPL and ELAN IT where ive got direct contacts and personal numbers.

should i tell the others to bugger off or what?

Also is it recommended to POST a CV rather that emailing it to a company? ive heard that while they read the post and a personal
    cover letter is usually a guarantee that theyll look at your CV, emailed ones wont get as much attention.

WHADDYA THINK???
    your opinions?:eek:

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    most of them usually have their phone number and name on ads in the papers, or on websites whatever.
    you should be able to call them and set a meeting up.
    meet up.
    tell them about yourself.
    tell them that you have not dealt with any other agencies.
    tell them you want a job.
    tell them you want some interviews set up.
    make sure they well you what jobs, and not get fobbed off with 'i'll set you up later in the week' ****e.

I have to admit I m impressed with that.

But what do you say when they tell you on the phone that :
    'We ll meet up as soon as something come up and match your cv'
    or
    'we have nothing at the moment we ll call you bla bla'
    etc ..

They are used (appearently) to end a discussion quickly and get rid of you.

HEy everybody , don t forget FAS Opportunities at the end of the month ! www.opps03.com

if you get the fob off, tell them you think they are giving you the fob off and you are not impressed.
    tell them youve heard this before, and why should they be differet than previous agencies?
    make usre they have your phone number, tell them that you hope to hear from them, but that you will not be contacting them again, so if something comes up, you are all ears, otherwise, you have an interview with other agencies and you dont need your time wasted.

remeber, if you are not on their books, they will not get paid....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 pingin

If a job is advertised by a recruitment agency, does this mean that the position is not being advertised on the company's own website? Do company's have to sign an agreement to this effect before placing a position with recruitment agencies?
    Anyone know what the deal is, there?

pingin

Originally posted by pingin
    If a job is advertised by a recruitment agency, does this mean that the position is not being advertised on the company's own website? Do company's have to sign an agreement to this effect before placing a position with recruitment agencies?
    Anyone know what the deal is, there?

pingin

no, if a company wants to advertise positions on its own web site, its free to do so.
    in fact, any company that would sign an agreement to give everything to a recruitment egancy deserves to be fleeced as far as im concerned :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Morpheus:

Three names for you:

Eolas: Vincent Flynn. He owns it. Call him up and tell him the service is shíte, blah blah blah and see where it goes.

CPL: Gilda Kelly. She's a fairly senior recruiter and people answer to her. Shes a fox as well so if you get a chance to meet her dont pass it up. Phone her up and complain your ass off.

Questman Recruitment: Paul Murphy. Get the number and call the guy. He is the best recruiter I have met thus far as he doesnt bother to try and match you with an unsuitable job. This often results in not hearing from him for a while but if he finds a match, he'll call you. He's been recommended by everyone I know in the IT business that knows their shíte.

Note: I am not a recruiter nor am I trying to drum up business for these people. Just thought they might be helpful contacts.

K

• Advertisement

OK, thanks for the info,

do you reckon tho that im with too many agencies? i know that they must however contact you before they submit your cv, so i suppose you can tell tehm uv already sent in a cv to that company without telling them you sent it thru another recruitment agency???

ALSO is it a good idea to keep phoning up companies to ask if they have any news on your application, Ive applied to two about 3 weeks ago, a bank and a finance company, ive phoned once or twice over the last few weeks, they never have any info other than its being processed, should i keep on calling every week or two til the position is filled or what????

cheers

Advertisement