Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPL where?!

Options
  • 10-11-2000 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭

Ok is GPL a new game or old game? Is it released? I bopped into EB and they said they never heard of it and they are normally on the ball.

I need something for the CS withdrawal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 panLoaf

Unless I'm mistaken, and there is a GPL game; GPL stands for Gnu Public Licence - a software licence to do with open-source, freely available software (games, applications, etc.)

Maybe there was a game that you saw GPLed?
    panLoaf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭TheWarden

I think it might also stand for Grand Prix Legends... a vroom vroom game.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

which you can buy in the US here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It's just over two years old, and is still available on Sierra's budget label.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

Castor, did you buy it after....?

And how would you rate it....?
    and rate GP3 while yer at it to tongue.gif

• Advertisement

I rate it as unquestionably the best driving sim ever on the PC, and one of the best games/sims ever full stop.

GP3 pales in comparison imho. Graphics are scarcely better despite being two years later, sound is atrocious compared to GPL - I mean you can't hear other cars as they pass you in gp3 wtf!?!?!?

Gameplay is a matter of taste - modern f1 cars are a lot easier to drive than the monsters of 1967, but you have that 'on rails' feeling that I just can't shake in gp3, in GPL you are fighting the raw forces of nature smile.gif

Plus no pitstops in GPL, one set of tyres are so hard they last three full races, and you take on 200 gallons of fuel at the start of a Grand Prix race - the equivalent of strapping sixty sticks of dynamite to the car apparently smile.gif

Mind you GPL is tough to get into - stick with it and you have the most rewarding experience on the PC I think.

[This message has been edited by Castor Troy (edited 10-11-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

But do any of the shops around Dublin stock it? I haven't seen it for a few months

Redesigned

It's in Game in Grafton Street for a tenner atm, think there's only one copy there though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Herb Moore

You can get it here online if you get stuck.
    Bit pricey at £16.25,though.... http://www.theslammer.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=search&item=pcgames426&type=store

Herb

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Castor Troy:
    It's in Game in Grafton Street for a tenner atm, think there's only one copy there though.

yea yea, you know bloody well it's no good to me there. smile.gif

I got Imperium Galactica II. Not a new game. Kind of Sim City meets Masters of Orion. I haven't even started playing yet (20 minute tutorial and I'm busy) but the game looks seriously impressive. Heck even the menus are impressive. biggrin.gif

• Advertisement

Hello Herb smile.gif Hobbes, I actually got mine from Amazon.co.uk for 14 pounds sterling a few months ago - couldn't find it anywhere here at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Useful information to me though Hobbes (since I was the one who asked to know:P)

Redesigned

Advertisement