Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best ISDN Adapters and d/l speeds

Options
  • 19-01-2003 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

Whats the best ISDN adapter for 128k ISDN? I was using a Hayes TA128k and it connected at 112.5 k. I havent got it any more cause it was ****. Any good ones out there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BArra

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I would have thought every isdn ta would download at the same speed, around about 14.7 - 15 kb/sec. Only ever seen 15kb/sec on a dcc in irc to somebody else with same connection.
    Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

the Asus is IMO the best. I havent had any trouble at all with it and I've had it for well over a year now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

i use a Billion PCI ISDN TA

and i can around 17.1kb/s on fast downloads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

asus and eicon diva both use same chipset EXCEPT that. the eicon diva has hardware to take the strain off your cpu. this only matters if you have a 300mhz CPU

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

You may prefer this, being an external modem.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=19644&t=402&l=2&AvdID=1&CatID=12&GrpID=1&s=pl

In operation it is grand but I had a funk time trying to install it into Windows XP . You can see also if some dipstick has left it on ....when they shouldn't.....from the lights.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

In general which are better for download times, internal or external? Or is there a difference?

Originally posted by STaN
    i use a Billion PCI ISDN TA

and i can around 17.1kb/s on fast downloads

After about 10 mins of downloading what rate would you get, ie does it stay at 17.1kb/sec. Never seen that before on isdn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭STaN

it would stay at that, or even a bit higher, ive seen 17.4, 17.8 and bursts to 35 when downloading text (due to compression)

Might have to get Iceman in with his amazing mathematical powers to proove how that is impossible.

/me shouts ICE.

• Advertisement

internal by far are better

baz

dont go getting a modem from eircom, they are properly **** for everything and anything and they will kindly make u pay for that priviledge

baz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by Chief---
    Might have to get Iceman in with his amazing mathematical powers to proove how that is impossible.

/me shouts ICE.

It's not impossible. If your downloading text, a dual channel ISDN connection can go up to ~40KB/s with STAC compression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

but is that supported by all the ISP's ?

well elive.com or .net or .ie, try them and see i cba ;z , but they deffo work, ud have to ring up eircom for an a/c to get 128k access but they are terrable from my experience,

elive i would go for if u wanna use it, expensive though ;DF

baz

Advertisement