Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dvd recorder

Options
  • 19-01-2003 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

has anyone bought a dvd recorder?

i am thinking about getting one but i'm not too sure if the price is justified. i mean it would be brilliant to put all my old videos/ camcorder footage onto dvd, but paying a minimum of 600 euro - i'm not yet convinced. it's alot of money and they'll probably half in price as soon as i buy one. anyone got any advice on which is the best model to go for? thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Yes... def worth buying but not until the formats are sorted out. If I was to buy I would go for the Phillips DVDR880 would seem to be the cheapest on the market. Richersounds have it for €700. Prices will continue to fall though. The cheapest 6 months ago was well over £1,000 stg. Hang on another 6 months or so until the formats are sorted out and prices come down a bit more.

Just in case you dont know anything about the formats currently availible...

Sony - DVD-R and DVD+RW
    Philips - DVD+RW and DVD+R
    Panasonic - DVD-RAM and DVD-R
    Pioneer DVD-RW and DVD-R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Actually I am curious, if you were to record a film which was on normal telly, what the playback quality be like?

Seems obvious that it would be the same as on the telly, but then I have no idea how the dvd recorder would recieve the data.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

i think it would just digitise the input, so the quality would be the same as what it looks like on the telly,

though it could have some software filters so enhance the quality...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

With regard to the formats problem the view of What Hi-Fi seems to be that it wont be sorted out in the near future as each brand is determined that their own format will be the dominant one in the market.

What Hi-Fi have also been very complimentary about Philips recorders including the 880.

Personally I am going to wait until hard disk recorders prices have fallen as I hardly ever record something that I want to hold on to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Thats a joke,surely they have to stop bickering between eachother and settle on the one bloody format, I mean how is it that a Certain CD standard was decided(red/orange Book, its been a while since I was in College :)), surely they have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Originally posted by Samba
    Thats a joke,surely they have to stop bickering between eachother and settle on the one bloody format, I mean how is it that a Certain CD standard was decided(red/orange Book, its been a while since I was in College :)), surely they have to.

It took a while for VHS to win over BETAMAX (Or whatever it was called). DVD-R is backwards compatible with everything.

DVD Blanks arent great. They only hold 4.3 Gigs of data which is 90MINS of video? I have a PC DVD Burner which is superb for backing things up....but its complex to backup dvd's / movies in general

I have a pioneer DVR7000 DVD recorder.

It records off normal tv and the quality picture wise is like any DVD, excelent.
    With the re-writeable DVD recordings , you get a thumbnail menu of each separate recording you have made, with the time and date when recorded,.
    Also, you can make chapters within your recording which are also thumbnailed for easy access..all that is cool:cool:

I use Memorex DVD-R which have 4.7 GB and two hours of record time.
    But with the DVD-RW pioneer disks,you have the option on the Recorder to record up to 360 minutes, but you will have a very pixellated picture at that.
    four hours is a good quality compromise, but for a 90 to 120 minute film, sp is best obviously.

mm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

I have a pioneer DVR7000 DVD recorder.

Did you buy in the UK ? How much did it cost ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

The new argos catalogue has a Thomson DVD player / hard disk recorder for €800.

Havent seen any reviews but it looks like a pretty coll bit of kit. Ideal for digital recording from Sky.

http://uk.thomson-europe.com/Products/Detail/1,5856,DTH7000U,00.html?languageID=25&countryID=826&categoryID=DV&selectValueIDGroup=&sOffset=0&caracteristicID=&featureID=&number=0&Country=826

Advertisement