Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a bmw second hand.

Options
  • 19-01-2003 9:20pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have decided to get rid of my trusty old rover 620. I would love a 90-92 bmw 316 and have been looking in buy and sell and also autotrader.ie. Im fairly sure i can pick one up for about E1500-E2500.
    Does anybody have any advice on buying a bmw of this age. Are there any know issues (timing belts,water filters) Alot of cars i have seen have their nct until 2004 so they must be in fairly good shape.
    thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jf_cole

I might have an immaculate one for sale you might consider.

its a 91 316i coupe in black, loads of extras, FSH, timing belt done just 7k miles ago with a head recondition, just had a full service.

email me at jf_cole@jspeed.net

Im still not 100% sure if im selling, cuz i have two cars at the moment, and i might sell the other and keep the BMW for a bit longer.:confused::D:confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Will email you from work later.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

I also have one for sale, a '91 white 316i (E36), must get the Nct done (booked) before i sell it as its parked in the garage since xmas, i've bought a 325 TDS.

Common problem with these cars is a ticking sound at start up from cold, its usally a leaky hydraulic tappet or worn cam shaft, i replaced the cam and tappets and rockers last year, doesnt make any difference to performance but the noice is off putting.

Also the exhaust lasts about 10 years, so if it hasn't been changed at this stage it will need changing soon.

Check power steering rack for dampness as this is expensive to replace from my experience.

Service history is important but still advisable to get a mechanic to check the car over if you dont know what to look out for.

I have sourced all parts from N.Ireland (OEM) in the past as the BMW garages would rob you for spare parts.

The E36 316i was introduced in '91 replaceing the old model E30 (squarish body). I think they made the E30 touring until '93.

Was in with the bank manager today, he seemed to think E1500 was no problem and would gimme a call tomorrow.
    fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Mythago

The interiors on the early cars (pre '93) were a bit rattly but should have been fixed over the first few services if done by BMW, other than that a rock solid car! Hopefully picking up a second hand 323i coupe in the weeks.... miss my RWD:D

• Advertisement

From speaking to pre '93 BMW owners i have come to the conclusion they really are rock solid cars. I would go so far as to say they are more reliable than a volkswagen. :O

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

i know someone selling a 92 2 door 318. It is immaculate. Regular servicing from Murphy & Gunn. Really nice leather interior. Send me a PM if you want to get in contact with him.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Main problem Bmw`s give is Ignition faults.Check for a miss as a distributor is a fair few quid.Also if/when you buy it change the Distributor cap/rotor arm/leads straight away.
    Should get another 10years out of a decent one if you look after it.
    Richie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I've always liked those 3 series BMW's and in particular the Tourer (Estate) model. Unfortunately most insurance companies won't quote me on the Beemers so I'll have to wait till I'm older .

Just as a matter of interest those of you that are driving or considering buying one , how much are you paying/quoted for insurance on 3 series Beemers ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭BogoBot

I'm paying EUR1800 on a '96 323i 2.5L

Fully Comp with 2 named drivers (one aged 18 and one aged 21)
    Its a commercial policy.

The 3 series is an excellent car to buy 2nd hand if you can get cover for it.

BogoBot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

I pay about €800 on a '93 325 TDS 2.5L (aged 29)

TPFT (open driving)

Tax is nearly the same price... :(

If I could get insurance for that price I too would drive a BMW . Hopefully someday soon my insurance will be reasonable , I'm 26 driving a Vectra €1400 fully comp.

If I thought I could drive a 3 series for the same insurance i would have one right now . Why is that an insurance company will quote me €1400 for a 1.6 Vectra but would quote an awful lot more for a 1.6 Beemer ??????

I've just spotted this one now on Autotrader for €1750

1992, BMW 3 Series 1.6 316i Touring Green NCT,FSH, Bargain Buy.

A mechanic friend offered me a Honda civic 1.3 1991 90000 miles full service history (his garage), nct'd till 10/04 (just passed nct) New clutch and tyres. For E900.
    So i bought it, and am extremely happy with it.

Got quoted 1750'ish for fully comp on a 96 323i (26 & 50% no claims) Unfortunately, cos I fecked off to Australia last year and forgot to pay 9 installments on my personal loan AIB won't gimme money to buy the damn car!! Shame as it was a beaut... ah well maybe next month!

Not a bad quote , what company ??

With Hibernian... forgot to mention a loyalty discount and another policy with Hib that brought it down....

Advertisement