Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Modem Tweaker / Accelerator

Options
  • 19-01-2003 9:55pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good program for getting the max out of your modem/connection. I used to use SpeedTec - which was brilliant on my old computer, with Win98, but I got a new Dell with XP, and although without any tweeking the connection speeds were great, I thought I woudl try to make it better. I ended up making it worse. I have tried some other programs such as Modem Booster, but it didn't do any good...

Can anyome recommend any other programs that are good for this?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

what type of connection have you got ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

ye, im looking for something like that aswell.
    56k for me anyways, i presume for Zascar also.
    im also on XP, connected to iol no limits.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

56k v92.

Actually I just found a great program. Its called Speed4Web (www.speed4web.com) Works like a charm...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

theres no V92 ISP's here!!!

2k and Xp seem to work much better on dial than 98. Running Xp or NT be sure to disable the QOS packet scheduler, it will give you about 10% more bandwidth

ive found any of thiose "speeders" to be pure crap. But if you find one that you think works lemmie know.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

V92? Could someone explain what this means?

QOS packet scheduler? What does that do? I diabled that after advice to do so and my net connection drop a small bit rather than improve (i.e. 52 to 48 kbps)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

A hefty portion of UTV's modems are V92-enabled. Have a look at the UTV thread on the IrelandOffline forum for more. If you can find it. :)

adam

Originally posted by dahamsta

A hefty portion of UTV's modems are V92-enabled. Have a look at the UTV thread on the IrelandOffline forum for more. If you can find it. :)

adam

I know there isn't V92 in ireland, that wasn't the question. I asked if someone could explain what v92 is.

I can't see that thread you mentioned

its a protocol (?) for connection over dial up. V90 is the one mostly used. offering at best 56KBps. V92 apparently gives superior conection over a phone line. not sure of the bandwidth though.

the QOS wont give you a better connection. It is desigened to reserve bandwidth for app that need a steady flow. Eg video conferencing. Since your not on a LAN using such an app (i assume!) then you can disable it and claim back the 10% from your connection.

Qos is for if your streaming videos or music?

yes and no

example

your are on a nework in work, and your internet and email is through the LAN.

your on a conferecne with someone and outlook checks your mail the the background and you happen to get a few mails. outlook will hog the bandwidth of your netowrk connection and thus make your conference hop, skip and jump.

with QOS you can allocate a portion of your bandwidth of a connection (including dial up) for specific services. but in dial up you dont really want this

• Advertisement

What's the case for gaming over the internet.

I have 56k Dial Up.

ye see, theres no point in splitting your slow 56k line.

if you had DSL, then maybe reserve, i duno 20% for your gaming and run some DL's and email crap in the background. It wont interefere with your gameplay then.

basically, 56k or even IDSN, Disable it coz the BW it reseves is being wasted :(

Advertisement