Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ADD COMMUNITY - Irish Archives & Records Management

• 20-01-2003 1:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Board Name: @rchives.ie
    Description: Board for Irish Archivists and Records Managers
    Private Y/N: No

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Foxton

I'd be in favour of setting up this board

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by Foxton
    I'd be in favour of setting up this board

Well thats not surprising considering you work for them :p

Can you explain who you are and if you are for-profit or what?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Those naturally suspicious wonder when two n00b's come along advocating a new forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

Sounds dodgy..

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Everyones entitled to their opinion even if they just arrived here... I dont have any problem with that... however a little more disclosure and some explanation of who you are and what community you want us to support would be nice.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Hmm can't really see the point of this forum.

Records Management sounds like it has to do with music contracts. I wreckon this could be posted in the
    Arts --> Music/Radio --> Bands/Musicians forum.

Ah well not a forum I could see much use for.

My vote goes against this.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭@rchives

In response to your queries, www.archives.ie is an information website run for the Irish Archives and Records Management Community, is not a profit-making organisation and is run on a voluntary basis.

This discussion board will allow archivists from all around Ireland, especially those working in remoter areas for County Councils, to stay in touch with their professional colleagues, to keep in touch with current best practice and to post questions to be answered by their peer group.

Please see www.archives.ie for more details, but I would suggest it will be quite boring for those of you not involved in the profession, as I assume runfree, leevore, leeroybrown, cwazee are not.

Incidentally records management has nothing to do with the music industry. For more info see www.archives.ie/rmanagement.htm.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Runfree
    Records Management sounds like it has to do with music contracts. I wreckon this could be posted in the
    Arts --> Music/Radio --> Bands/Musicians forum.

lol, ah the innocence /me hugs Runfree

Gets my vote, so long as it's non-profit.

Nice to see boards.ie becoming known as a place where communities can base themselves :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

I stand corrected for my earlier post :(

That should be www.archives.ie/rmanagement.htm
    with no full stop at the end....

• Advertisement

Seems like an odd community but they should fit right in along the with the rest of the oddballs round here :)

So, you a requesting a public community, presumably with yourself as moderator?

So long as you are willing to promote it via your website (which I presume you are) then this would rank along side the likes of Astronomy Ireland etc...

(see under Community -> Public)
    DeV.

Yes, it wouldn't be the biggest community, and would probably be on a par with Astronomy Ireland in terms of usership.

I'd be willing to act as moderator for the board, and to promote it both through www.archives.ie and in more general terms.

It should be quite a lively community once it gets up and running.

Cheers

When will we know if the board has been approved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by @rchives
    When will we know if the board has been approved?
    <cough>www.archives.ie
    News
    New: @rchives.ie Discussion Board

@rchives.ie will shortly be bringing you a discussion board courtesy of www.boards.ie.

To Register your interest in the board go to www.boards.ie by clicking here and registering as a user. Once you have registered come back to @rchives.ie and click on the link below.

Now go to this page by copying and pasting into your broswer or clicking the link http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=30

None of my damn business really but isn't that a little presumptuous?

(doesn't much of this fall under the new Civil Liberties etc board?)

Thanks for your interest sceptre... in answer to your query, no, this isn't a little presumptuous.

This is merely trying to get the people who use @rchives.ie regularly to come to boards.ie and lend their support for what will be a useful service to them.

In answer to your second point, no again.

The Civil Liberties board deals with issues such as Data Protection (which you obviously spotted on your quick visit to the site), unfortunately you didn't stay long enough to realise that the site is for qualified archivists and records managers.

I suggest you check some of the sites below before pronouncing on a profession of which you clearly know very little.

Archives Department UCD: www.ucd.ie/~archives/html/homepage/main_fra.htm

Society of Archivists, Ireland
    http://www.archives.org.uk/regions/ireland.asp

@rchives.ie introduction to archives management
    www.archives.ie/amanagement.htm

For something that is supposed to be a community resource it's been amazing how many ill-informed / negative posts this proposed board has been receiving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭sunbeam

If you'd be willing to broaden the remit of this and include information management (i.e. topics of interest to those employed in libraries/information officer/informations scientist roles etc.) then I'd support it.

Sunbeam,

Thanks for your interest. The intention is to include information management professionals in general, including librarians, FOI officers etc.

If you go to archives.ie you'll see the tagline is "Ireland's Information Management Hub", but I thought this would be too vague a concept to try and explain here.

As it is the concept of archives/records management seems to be a tough one for most people to get their head around.

I look forward to you contributing to the board if it is approved.

Ok Ok woahhh....

@rchives, no need to be so defensive. People put their opinions out there on the creation of new boards all the time, they are usually fairly vocal back and forth.

A question such as "doesnt this fall under XYZ" is common and a valid question.
    I would hope you would treat people who dont know about archiving a little more courteously on the board.

Yes you presumed too much with an announcement but as it happens we're happy to support it and I understand you were trying to generate interest in it and give us kudos too...

I'll create the board today and put it next to the Astronomy Ireland forum in the nav.

(I presume its a public community so I'll create it as that... it means you will have to deal with people who have access to it who dont know a damned thing about what archiving is btw...)

DeV.

Thanks Devore,

And thanks for the quick turn-around in creating the board.

With regard to those who don't know what it's all about, I'll knock together a FAQ to iron out those record company/civil liberties distinctions.

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

it's been amazing how many ill-informed / negative posts this .......has been receiving.

Welcome to the wonderful world of the intraweb.

Ignorance at the click of a mouse:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

I suggest you check some of the sites below before pronouncing on a profession of which you clearly know very little.
    <snip>
    <snip>
    <snip>

It was a fair and honest question - no need to act like an insulting idiot. The "is this a little presumptuous" question was fuelled by the "we will have" posting on your own site (as opposed to "we hope to have" or "we are looking") rather than any other meannesss on my part. Politeness goes a long way you know, even on the uncharted anonymity of the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cmcveigh

Good idea - I'll certainly support the site and contribute when I can!

Clare McVeigh
    Queen's University Belfast

Advertisement