Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

future exchange upgrades

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I was concentrating on technical reasons as to why DNS is not a desert, and as to how very very little ESAT have done in the past 3 years or so.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

You DID ask.

sorry shouldn't have been so off-hand in my reply
    If you were to live around TCSM's 'hood you would be very close to some of their fibre.

?

Let call a spade a spade,

Within my immediate neigbourhood there is five schools (2 secondary, 3 primary) and a few thousand houses. There also seems to be alot of fibre in the area.

Slap bang in the middle of all this is a community built recreation centre ...

Community Run Wireless ISP .... how hard could it be ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Oh yeah,

another question,

where can I get my greasy mits on a list locations of Eircoms Exchanges ....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Community Run Wireless ISP .... how hard could it be ?

Very. Believe me.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Is this estate covered by either of the beasts for DSL? (ESAT/Eircon)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

Originally posted by Muck
    If you were to live around TCSM's 'hood you would be very close to some of their fibre.

Hood! I live on the 'Santa Monica Boulevard' of the Northside :)

MDR - there's Esat fibre out this way, they are laying it along by the DART line at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭zynaps

Originally posted by Muck
    I forgot there is a railway line with ESAT Fibre from
    Cabra
    So that railway out behind my house and those trees and such is carrying lit fibre?
    Big fat jaysus load of good it's doing for us...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

one of the dodgy probs i see here for starting real competition and price is..
    errcom have to justify its over priced ADSL wholessale.

if real compettions happend and some one offered BB very close to errcoms wholesale price then.. that would force the cat outa the bag, cuz if errcom wanna keep customers and selling they have to lower there whole sale price, and if they CAN do that then they can no longer justify there current wholesale price and it will have to drop which makes the whole thing perpetiual...

!1) some one supplys bb less than whole sale
    2) errcom price (drops below wholesale)
    3) resellers already buying wholesale will question the price there paying cuz ercom cant justify
    4) resellers lower there prices to compete

Goback to step 2

but of course errcom would not like to see that ball rolling, if only it could be pushed a bit it might move a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I'm about 500 Metres from the railway line in Balbriggan...What sort of equipment would i need to plug their Fibre directly into my pc ;)

Notice ESAT. I want ADSL by June....If not...ill buy an axe instead :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Richard Barry

Originally posted by Praetorian
    I'm about 500 Metres from the railway line in Balbriggan...What sort of equipment would i need to plug their Fibre directly into my pc ;)

Notice ESAT. I want ADSL by June....If not...ill buy an axe instead :cool:

One of these might do the job. Don't think you will find them in the Jan sales at your local supermarket.

Suggest you talk to the fibre owner before installing!

R.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 joec

i have just had this email from adsl now........
    Dear Joe,

Unfortunately as you know your local exchange is not yet covered by EsatBT for DSL roll out. However, it is expected that there will be an announcement shortly of the next round of exchanges to be enabled. I will keep you informed.

so maybe there are thing sgoing on behind the scenes ?

also im suprised that no1 has spoken about the rumour that eircom will be offering a "residential" offering for 45 euro..........................has any1 else heard about this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by joec
    i also im suprised that no1 has spoken about the rumour that eircom will be offering a "residential" offering for 45 euro..........................has any1 else heard about this ?

It's been mentioned a couple of times (and I've heard it from an independent source with connections to eircom, so I'm inclined to believe it).

If the €45 price holds up, I'm in. If it's €45+VAT, I'll bitch and moan about it a bit longer (if only because I think it should be illegal to quote prices without VAT, especially in the residential market).

I also don't want any of that USB crap that I hear some people mentioned in the ESAT service either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

€45+VAT would be bad in comparison with other countries but i'd pay it. Definately.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Damian

€45 might sound OK, but what's the bets that it wont be 512K? I would expect this 'residential' offering to be a crappy 256K with a 50 to 1 contention ratio.

OR has anyone head differently?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What is the betting that it will be EUR 45 + VAT, 256K / 128K and a 1 GB cap :rolleyes:

At least if it does come out, more likely with a 3 GB cap, then the cap will probably be removed (or greatly increased) from the SOHO offering.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Ardmore
    (if only because I think it should be illegal to quote prices without VAT, especially in the residential market).
    Agreed. The ASAI take the same view - if you do hear or see adverts (as opposed to government ministers:rolleyes: ) quoting a price ex-VAT for a product that isn't exclusively available (or targetted pretty much exclusively) to businesses, they always like to hear about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 joec

id nearly bet my house on it that the offering will be 256.........
    this is better than what i have but its annoying to be honest as it shows eircoms non futuristic policies.it merely shows them dragging their heels to make as much profit in the mid term....
    if eircom can offer it at this price they are also obliged to give a better wholesale bitsream price to esat ?so that means that a bit of bidding may take place? or even god forbid a price war ?lol:p

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Damian
    €45 might sound OK, but what's the bets that it wont be 512K? I would expect this 'residential' offering to be a crappy 256K with a 50 to 1 contention ratio.

OR has anyone head differently?

I have. When i heard the rumour first, i was told it would be a 512 service to kill off esats residential offering. Again, this source is a pretty good one, so im letting myself get optimistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by Dustaz
    I have. When i heard the rumour first, i was told it would be a 512 service to kill off esats residential offering. Again, this source is a pretty good one, so im letting myself get optimistic.

If they really wanted to kill Esat's offer they'd remove the cap, or at very least raise it to something like 10Gb's.

Having said that i don't want to give my money to Eircon so if someone else goes one better on there offer i'd snap it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by Damian

I don't have a problem with a 50/1 contention ration.

Do you know what your dialup ISPs contention ration is?

And I don't have a problem with a 256K service, as long as it means that they will extend the service to lines that are currently too far from the exchange for higher speeds. www.boards.ie won't load noticably faster on a 512k connection than it will on a 256k connection. Neither will most of the sites I want "always on" access to.

I just checked a couple of US DSL providers, and www.covad.com offer 384/128 for €39.95/month. Verizon offer "up to 768/128" for $39.95 (with a 12 month contract,and big caveats about how the actual speed depends on the distance you are from the exchange). (Covad and Verizon are two of the biggest providers in the North Eastern US. Bellsouth charge $49.95/month, but don't say what you get for that.

Given that these prices don't include any taxes, the mooted €45 price point almost sounds reasonable! (yeah, you're right, it's probably just the after-effects of the anaesthetic the dentist used earlier today!)

Broadband instead of tax cuts?

• Advertisement
Advertisement