Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video Editing With Windows

• 20-01-2003 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

My uncle is going to be buying a new computer cos he is doing the ECDL. He asked me for advice and i reckon since he is very interested in video stuff, old footage etc... that it would be useful to get some video editing software and hardware to go with the computer. I think a Mac is out of the question because he has been using Windows so far and it would get too confusing. So what i reckoned was a Dell Pc of reasonable spec with a decent hard-drive & perhaps a dvd burner. And then to buy the TV card and the video editing software seperately.
    If anyone has any ideas as to what is important as regards acceptable performance with editing video , or what the ideal PC setup for video editing would be i'd love to hear it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I'm getting a Sony MiniDV (DCRPC101) camcorder in a few weeks and after taking a look around at good range of video editing software, one called video explosion deluxe seems to be pretty decent. You can control the video camera from the computer & it supports DVD authoring and all that. You'd almost certainly want to get a firewire card for the computer though, USB would be a tad slow for video editing.

I was thinking of getting a DVD burner, maybe that external sony multi format one that peats have at the moment... Not for a while anyway, burning VCD's will have to do for the moment.

Anyway, as for how much its costing me to get into video editing...

Sony DCRPC101 - €940 (currently)
    annnnd Video Explosion Deluxe - $80

Not too shabby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭happydude13

yup.

I was thinking i would need a card with Tv in/out capabilities cos he has lots of footage on video tape. Also the question of getting software which is as easy to use as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

yeah AFAIK if he has stuff on VHS he wants he'll need to get a video capture card. Most (if not all) video capture cards will come with some kind of software so it might be good to try to kill 2 birds with one stone and get a card that'll work for your digital camcorder too (I presume he's going to be getting a digital camcorder). Theres a pinnacle one around but thats probably crazy expensive, I think Hauppage do a couple of cards too... so theres 2 to start off with.

Advertisement