Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life of Pi

Options
  • 20-01-2003 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

Has anyone read it? Just finished it. I enjoyed it but I can't pinpoint what it is about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

i just finished it the other day... i thought it was brilliant , like very entertaining but yeah im not too sure what its 'about' either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

Originally posted by PH01
    Has anyone read it? Just finished it. I enjoyed it but I can't pinpoint what it is about?

it was just recomended to me yesterday, when i asked what it was about i was told exactly the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Just recieved a copy to-day. Looking forward to reading it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭SloanerF1

Originally posted by Mewzel
    it was just recomended to me yesterday, when i asked what it was about i was told exactly the same thing

The outer layer of the story is easily described - a boy is lost at sea with some animals. It is the inner, almost allegorical, meaning that is more difficult. The use of the name "Pi" is misleading since people assume that the book has some mathematical basis. In fact, it is simply a nickname of the boy, whose full name is Piscine (imagine its mispronunciation and you'll understand why he changed it!)

Advertisement