Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom.Net gone nuts advertising

Options
  • 20-01-2003 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Eircom.Net has just gone biscuits advertising on RTÉ ? Literarily every single ad break on 2fm and Radio 1 seems to feature some ad featuring a rat ...

Building a customer base for future strategy I wonder.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Or maybe trying to get their last few cents before flate rate comes in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by MDR
    Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Eircom.Net has just gone biscuits advertising on RTÉ ? Literarily every single ad break on 2fm and Radio 1 seems to feature some ad featuring a rat ...

No, they are just feeling the pressure of UTV and Esat.

They WON'T (not can't) compete on price so they will use the old PR carpet bombing tactic.
    You would be suprised how many ordinary folk think Eircom are the best/cheapest, cause they have the most/slickest ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Originally posted by bk
    You would be suprised how many ordinary folk think Eircom are the best/cheapest, cause they have the most/slickest ads.
    Anyone who thinks a rat on a moped or a rat on a surfboard (with a hideously annoying tune in the background) is slick advertising needs their head examined.

- Dave.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Actually, I just thought, it will be ironic that Eircom will probably be the first to introduce a FRIACO product. As they already have all the gear in place.

I wouldn't give a ****e as long as it was €30 or less.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by sjones
    I wouldn't give a ****e as long as it was €30 or less.

I would as Eircom will probably charge more, lock you into a 12 month contract and have some sort of silly cap/limit.

I would wait to see what Esat and UTV offer.

Also even if they where all the same price, I would still go with UTV (1st), Esat (2nd), due to better customer care and the fact that we wouldn't have it but for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Originally posted by TmB
    Anyone who thinks a rat on a moped or a rat on a surfboard (with a hideously annoying tune in the background) is slick advertising needs their head examined.
    It's getting very tired, been going on since October, 2001.

Originally posted by bk
    have some sort of silly cap/limit.

I'd like to see anyone try to cap 56k! However expect an online limit from whatever isp you decide to go with - it's not supposed to be 'always on'. It's not BB!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Much as we hate it, the €ircom Rat performs remarkably well with test audiences.

But soon they will hate it ... Muhhaahhaaaahhhaaa ... <Insert evil laugh>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by MDR

Now you know why they need to charge €108 for basic ADSL........

• Advertisement

I'd like to see anyone try to cap 56k! However expect an online limit from whatever isp you decide to go with - it's not supposed to be 'always on'. It's not BB!

Oh I know that there will probably be some limit from all the ISPs, that is not what I meant.

I expect UTV and Esats limit to be reasonable, while Eircoms will probably be something silly (e.g. two hours a day, with normal phone charges after that.)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I'd rather pay UTV €30 euro per month for flat rate 56k than pay eircon or Esat a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Matfinn

If eircom came out with a flatrate 24/7 product for 56k and even isdn users tommorrow, and priced it at around EU 20 or EU 30, then I still wouldnt get it from the, because its Eircom. Im sure there are at least a hundred others out there who would agree with me. I would wait for another company to offer a similar product.

Matt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

Agreed, if €ircon offered a flat rate product cheaper than the competition (like that'd ever happen) I'd still go with the competion. The day I have completely rat-free services is the day I buy everyone on boards.ie a pint**

**This may not actually happen although I will endeavour to drink one for each and every one of you :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Esat tried to "cap" 56K! Remember the 75 hour a month limit fiasco?

It was one of the events that acted as a catalyst leading to the formation of IOFFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Originally posted by PiE
    I'd rather pay UTV €30 euro per month for flat rate 56k than pay eircon or Esat a tenner.

I think that I'd still go for the cheapest. I think that if UTV offered a FAIRCO package - I would be more favourable to them. Esat would be Choice No. 2 & Eircom would be last.

I think I would not rule out Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Never say "Never."

For years I was rabid anti-Murdoch, anti-Sky. But I'm one of Sky Digital's fans. But the name Murdoch still craws in my throat, but he and his company provide the best digital TV package there is. That is undeniable.

My message is, you may not like them, you may want to vomit every time you hear their name, but if they end up with the best package and good customer feedback, dont rule them out.

While I will not be surprised if Eircom launches a FRIACO package before Esat/UTV, I certainly don't think we will have to worry about it being cheaper or better (in terms of limits etc.) then either Esat or UTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

i hated giving eircom money every month. but i have to say that the mouse did make me smile. haha.. him in a library. brilliant

he was prolly getting free access there cos it was too expensive at home.

dw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by MDR

Was thinking the very same thought as I listened to the radio this morning

The one that sticks in my cra is that "Eircom.net, the award winning ISP" ? Anybody know what award, a Doras citation for their homepage or something?

Not to mention that piece of ASAI bait, the totally misleading "turn your PC into a shop window" like yea, connect your PC to eircom.net and use it as a web-host.........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Ardmore

Originally posted by drrnwbb
    i hated giving eircom money every month. but i have to say that the mouse did make me smile. haha.. him in a library. brilliant

he was prolly getting free access there cos it was too expensive at home.

Hmmm. Sounds like EircomTribunal could make something useful out of that.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

The one that sticks in my cra is that "Eircom.net, the award winning ISP" ? Anybody know what award, a Doras citation for their homepage or something?
    I believe it was some PC Live award which was the result of an ISP survey. Other ISP's got awards too for different things, ie. customer service, etc.

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭pepsiman

Originally posted by De Rebel
    a Doras citation for their homepage or something?
    Wouldn't that be nice; giving awards to themselves... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭mechanima

I doubt if Eircon wins the kind of awards that people usually boast about...

Can't help wondering if the mouse stripping off coyly on the beach is living proof that SOMEONE in the ad agency HAS been paying attention to alternative portryals of the irritating rodent...

Cos lawd knows that is all I can think of every time I see it!

G

Advertisement