Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another Mouse Thread

• 20-01-2003 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

I've never had any trouble with my mouse in the past year, but lately I've been having this awful problem. It's constantly disconnecting and reconnecting itself at random intervels. Could be working fine for an 15 minutes then any attempt to move the mouse disconnects it..then it might work fine again for another 10 or 15 and start happening again (very disconcerting in the middle of a Quake duel :( )

The mouse is an MS Intelli Explorer 3.0 . I normally had it connected using a ps2 adapter...but I've since tried it on the both motherboard and pci-usb slots. Same trouble.

I've tried the mouse in other pcs and it works perfectly.

Also, a friend of mine had the very same trouble with an entirely different mouse. His was the Logitech Dual Optical and his problem simply starting occuring one day out of the blue.

I did download and install the newest IntelliPoint software a week before the problems occured...but I've since uninstalled/reinstalled/uninstalled again with no luck. I did the very same thing with the mouse drivers.

Yep..I'm stumped. :confused:

One other thing..both mine and my mates computers are using Windows XP. Altho mine also worked fine on a laptop with XP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

All I can think of is to try it in another machine. Or else your cable could be damaged, I dunno.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Originally posted by Gerry
    All I can think of is to try it in another machine. Or else your cable could be damaged, I dunno.....

Did that on several others..and a laptop. Works perfectly on them.

Its a stumper ahright... :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Have you tried another mouse on your PC??

Originally posted by Dr. Loon
    Have you tried another mouse on your PC??

Yeah..both regular ball ps/2 mouse and another usb laptop optical mouse.

Both work perfectly.

Thats why I reckon its driver problems?

Is there any way to remove the drviers completely from the system, other than just uninstalling them from the device manager list?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 285 ✭✭sam

your mouse cable is broken.
    cut the cable, take about 2cm of wire off the part u think is broken (itll be the place where the mouse cable enters the mouse body, or just outside it), and then re-attach each of the 5 internal wires.. mouse fixed (for another year anyway).
    if you dont fix the cable, the problem will keep getting worse as the break in the cable gets bigger, in general the "stiffer" the mouse cord is, the faster it breaks

-sam/Koopa

• Advertisement

Hmm..I thought so too, until I tested it in another machine and it worked perfectly.

I also tested this in another way..I was suspicious of this being the problem, because it only disconnects itself while the mouse is moving. but I lifted the mouse off the mat and started fiddling with the cable without it disconnecting.

It only occurs when the mouse is giving output..apparently.

nevermind..cable was broken. :o

Thanks Sam..gonna break out to ol' solder and wire cutters tonight :)

How the heck do you open an MS intellimouse explorer 3.0? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

turn it upsidedown, see the four black mousefeet pads, you can remove them with your nail or something. the glue that holds them will stay, allowing you to stick them back on later. underneath the pads are 4 screws. bingo

Argh!
    Okay, I actually managed to get it open. Had my wire cutters and solder ready to go. Looking inside tho..it wasn't as easy as I'd thought.

It wasn't a simple case of stripping the wires then reattaching them onto the circuit board. The mouse had a some sort of plug attached where the wires went in. So I'd have to cut the cable off the plug and at another point in the cable after where the break was. Then re-attach the 5 wires to teach other.

The wires were too fine tho..I couldnt get the plastic off without chopping the copper inside with it. ;/

So now my beauty is in bits and I'm back to using a ballmouse ;\

Think I'll leave it to a professional..anyone know where I could send something like this away to get repaired?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Buy a new mouse.

You're going to have dirty signals from that one now.

Was hoping it wouldnt come to that...altho I've had my eye on that MX500 for some time now...hmm

Is there anyway I could get a replacement cable from anyplace?
    Its a shame to throw away a perfectly good MS 3.0 :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Do what every decent student does. steal one from a lab!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's muppets like you that render machine useless, what with setting the resolution/refresh too high for the monitors to handle in NT4.0 before hitting "test" first....never mind loading them with useless filesharing apps that can't get through the proxy anyways...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,807 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

if it's not working it's not a perfectly good MS 3.0 :)

would cost u the same to fix it really, + the hassle of finding someone who actually would fix it.

And yes those people are muppets, installing gator on every machine they see, along with offer companion.

Originally posted by sjones
    Do what every decent student does. steal one from a lab!

I would Pete..if they weren't big steaming piles of donkey poo.

Nah, I need another decent optical mouse. One thats good for Quaking. These crappy Dell ones just don't take the biscuit/

Godamnit! The mouse IS fine..its just the cable. I only got it a year ago..;/

I have a few old MS Intelli mouse around at home. Think maybe they might have the same 'plug' as my own. They're PS2 tho, wheres my intelli was usb.

Would that make any difference..if the plugs were the same?

bleh..now the proud owner of a spanking new MX500 ;P

Its as a slippery as a pig in shit and I'm just as happy :D

anyone want a broken Ms Intelli explorer 3.0 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

theres a crowd of those students swines in my college also, the geeky computer science crowd, who hog a corner of a room playing ra2 or something on the machines don't ask me how they get it on them. they wreck the machines for all there little comp sci stuff and then migrate to where ever the newest computers have been installed as you can imagine from this rant they really piss me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

sweet. is the mx500 as good as it's supposed to be? I'm thinking of an mx700 myself. i have the original cordless optical logitech mouse (comes with a cordless keyboard) and it's a disappointment. very sluggish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

mx500 is a great mouse...well worth 64.99 in argos...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

http://www.trust.com/home/default.htm?viewpage=products/productgrp.htm%3Fgrp%3DMICE

i picked up this trust wireless, optical mouse on special in maplin for forty bills a while back, i don't know what peoples opinion in general are of trust products, i've found this reliable, has never ran out of charge, and overall very happy with it. a few times it has cut out and had to be reconfigured but i think that i due to something i did rather a fault with the mouse

Advertisement