Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to recover files

Options
  • 20-01-2003 7:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

I, my friends, am an idiot :(

I deleted 2 rather big important folders today because i thought i had compied them over to my new harddrive. Needless to say i didn't and i am fu*ked (very much so). I need to get them back but i deleted them out of the recycle bin and one didn't even go in. Is there any programs that will let me recover these files?

I know about how they have to be over-writen on the hard drive to be actually gone, so i haven't done anything to the hard drive since. Is there any hope? They have alot of important files in them and things that i have made for games.

btw dunno if this is the right board.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

You could try Norton Unerase that comes bundles with Norton Utilities afaik it is able to recover a lot of these "deleted" files. Im sure there are some better free alternatives but I dont know of any off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Spunj

I did something similar last week and spent AGES downloading and trying various products. Most of em will find the files but in the 'demo' versions only let you recover files up to 2k or 5k. The only one that worked was called PCInspector File recovery or something like that (google it) :) .

One piece of advice, don't use the machine if at all possible! If you install anything or download anything, make sure it is to a different hard drive or at least a seperate partition. Any data you put on the drive the deleted files were on can overwrite part of them and make them unrecoverable. Even so, registry growth, pagefile growth, temp internet files etc. can all be factors till you get the files off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Thanks lads but i was told GetDataBack for fat/ntfs was pretty good so i used it (but you can only see whats there on the hd in the demo) and found the 2 folders. Its a good program i;d recommend it.

Advertisement