Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Becoming a MOD

• 20-01-2003 7:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Since everyone on boards is nearly a mod of some sort, What do you have to do to be a MOD?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Rumour has it that posting stupid threads in Admin doesn't help ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

You have to take the AMP TEST.

If you pass it, you get free choice of any board you want to mod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Originally posted by leeroybrown
    Rumour has it that posting stupid threads in Admin doesn't help ;)

Maybe, we'll see
    Originally posted by AngelWhore
    You have to take the AMP TEST.

AMP Test? Explain yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Just do as I did.

Slip DeV 20 quid, hey presto, you're a mod.

Then suddenly it dawns on you that you've been had.
    You actually 'have' to spend time modding your forum.... it's not like you can run around posting what you like and insulting people... even though on the face of it... that's what modding may seem to be.

mmmm...

vote yes to this sort of trolling.
    trolling is good for ireland.
    The Germans love everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Video_Detail_dsl_keyart.gif

wtf? That link, didn't answer his question but he got to be a mod...........? www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77462

So far the possibilities are: AMP Test
    Sexual favours to Dev
    Money to Dev

There seems to be a trend here!!:D

Typedef, what is that image suppose to mean?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

But who cares? Why not try spamming your way to Modship ? Your half way there with starting this thread, now all you must do is make 500+ posts in the next month and average 10.45 per day! Simple;)

Originally posted by LoGiE
    But who cares? Why not try spamming your way to Modship ? Your half way there with starting this thread, now all you must do is make 500+ posts in the next month and average 10.45 per day! Simple;)

I could be bothered to make that sort of effort. The main reason why mods posts per day is high because they are mods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Typedef, what is that image suppose to mean?

Some say it's something to do with Dr Strangelove.

I'd prefer to think it's more something to do with mad Hungarian computer scientists who spend their free time trying to get people to make a first strike against the USSR, designing the future of computing, originating game theory and applying it to economics and looking up women's skirts. The relevance is clear:D (do you have a mechanical arm?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

its funny how i have been posting here for a very short time and i have seen so many moderator requests.

Seriously, it can't be THAT good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

To become a mod:

1. Show some form of level headed maturity or at least an understanding of how Boards.ie works and the culture here.

2. Have a genuine interest in the topic.

3. Have the enthusiasm to visit your board at least once every two days and be proactive to link sites you think will be of interest to the community.

4. Not hassle the admins for moderatorship status.

We've said this a BILLION TIMES BEFORE... its like the red and blue pill in the Matrix... if you ACTUALLY knew what being a Mod involved.... you'd tell us to stick it up our asses.

Its more work, harrassment from annoyed users, no power money fame or women and feck all thanks. I mean, when was the last time any of you thanked the mods on your favourite boards?

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

Originally posted by DeVore
    To become a mod:
    3. Have the enthusiasm to visit your board at least once every two days and be proactive to link sites you think will be of interest to the community.

What about the people who've now become addicted to this website? Where they feel the need to click on it and refresh every 15 seconds in the hope that someone has bothered to reply to a post....any post - anything will do (btw i'm not addicted, honest...i'm not. I can kick the habit /me shakes)

no power money fame or women and feck all thanks.

Yeah you have to have these in coming to boards already, then when you find you're addicted you lose them all. Then you wake up some day and realise that your life has started revolving around that refresh button.

OK I need to get out more :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Show some form of level headed maturity

We've said this a BILLION TIMES BEFORE

heh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭DeadBankClerk

ban castor troy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

To become a mod:

1. Show some form of level headed maturity or at least an understanding of how Boards.ie works and the culture here.
    hahah, me?

Couldn't be arsed in fairness. Seriously like!

As if!!

who ? :)

I would denounce my adminshipythingymagig, except Tom makes me stay as punishment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Eh, that's "amp test" not AMP test. There's no need to shout. And I'd have thought that an ideal requirement of being a mod is to read the Newbie FAQ which dempseyt obviously hasn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

amp test
    :p

Originally posted by amp
    Newbie FAQ which dempseyt obviously hasn't.

Newbie FAQ?

what is that a joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=98

I hope to god that wasn't a joke or i'm gonna look a right fool :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    ban castor troy
    You can't ban him ... he's been banned already (about a month ago, by DeV).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Originally posted by DeadBankClerk
    ban castor troy

no need to, john travolta took care of business

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah MP cos you really arent into online gaming :)

Da Hamsta... those requirements are for the Mods...

For the admins the main requirement is to be as daft as brush. Regularly explode into fits of tantrums. Have no respect for your own money and be able to take abuse!

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Yeah MP cos you really arent into online gaming :)

Da Hamsta... those requirements are for the Mods...

For the admins the main requirement is to be as daft as brush. Regularly explode into fits of tantrums. Have no respect for your own money and be able to take abuse!

DeV.

and how long have i been asking.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Yay my old thread got post. Well I became a MOD(don't know why but hey)

And you don't want to be a MOD. You have to read all the threads. Visit it twice a week and post atleast one new topic a week.

Well I'm happy with my forum at the moment.

main thing don't ask to be a MOD.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Runfree
    Yay my old thread got post. Well I became a MOD(don't know why but hey)

And you don't want to be a MOD. You have to read all the threads. Visit it twice a week and post atleast one new topic a week.

Well I'm happy with my forum at the moment.

main thing don't ask to be a MOD.

500 posts in under 2 months.
    impressive.

this coming from the man who wanted to be a MOD, oh, about 20 days ago?

as for why you became a MOD, well it was because you were so annoying that they gave yo8 a corner away from everyone else to shut you up.

now go away again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

as for why you became a MOD, well it was because you were so annoying that they gave yo8 a corner away from everyone else to shut you up.

1) It Begins
    2) The Fruition

So WWM, i dispute your theory on the grounds that I am bored.

Runfree for Admin !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

its easy,...
    Just start a new post in ADMIN -> Bugs/Suggestions with the title : Board suggestion

Then just write a load of crap in the following message and get everyone in IRC to reply saying 'thumbs up' or 'i heartily endorse this product and/or service' or some sh1t like that.

then, suggest yourself to be mod, and just arse around then for a bit.

UMMM no me not for admin. That is way too much work.

And WWM loose the attitude it don't suit you.

Cheers folks.

Cheers folks.

not a bit of it old chap, what would the world be without a not-so-subtley constructed troll for the not-so-subtley constructed?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

WWM without Attitude just would not be WWM

btw Runfree, you should borrow a SARCASM DETECTOR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

|x| <
    You

[align=right]The Mark
    >|x|[/align]

ha ha...

Paddy20... you tell that joke so well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    a SARCASM DETECTOR

[sarcastic] oooh a sarcasim detector what a usefull invention :rolleyes: [/sarcastic]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Typedef

Paddy20... you tell that joke so well.

Cheers. Ive always been a big fan of your music Sinead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

To become a mod:

Memphis: DeV, you may or may not yet have seen, but I posted up a thread on the Tipp Inst forum, where I am an active poster, to see if others thought I should be allowed become mod of the forum, however without getting anyones opinion, Our man in Moscow closed the thread after just one reply, saying NO. I wanna know why?

I ask you DeV, do you believe I would make a good mod, and if so please try persuade the current mods on the forum to consider it. I'm very serious about taking on the roll.

Thanks!!!

Memphis: Maybe I'm not 100% mature but I do have a good understanding of boards.ie and it usage, and believe I'd make a good mod of the Tipp Inst forum.

Memphis: What is there to say here, I've been in the college for almost 3 years, and am a Tipp man by nature, I think I have an interest in the topic!!!

Memphis: I visit boards about 2 times daily (sometimes even more).

Memphis: This is the last time I'll hassle ya..... honest!!! I promise.

We've said this a BILLION TIMES BEFORE... its like the red and blue pill in the Matrix... if you ACTUALLY knew what being a Mod involved.... you'd tell us to stick it up our asses.

Memphis: I'm willing to take that risk!!

Its more work, harrassment from annoyed users, no power money fame or women and feck all thanks. I mean, when was the last time any of you thanked the mods on your favourite boards?

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

memphis... i don't think dev said all of that. talk about putting words in to someones mouth....
    learn to use the quote tags.... :)

i don't think you should be a mod of the tipp inst board. it already has two mods. they are doing an ok job. maybe our man in moscow should have gave a reason for locking the thread but he was right to tell you NO!!!!!!!..... did you think about sending him a pm and ask why :confused:

I'm very serious about taking on the roll.

ha ha.... ya right... are you on a power trip.....

hmmm we are all so friendly aren't we.

Err........Maybe I should of shut my mouth and not be so curious in future:rolleyes:

thats a real shame, i was involved in a boards.ie discussion with the other admins down the pub earlier int he week, and we felt you showed enthusiasm and a spark that would make you a good admin.

thank you very much for the advice.
    however, that is not attitude. what i said was pretty much the truth. if youd would like to discuss it further, could you please start up a seperate thread where i would be happy to talk to you in a more meaningful manner.
    perhaps you could tell me about my attitude, and you could let me know how to rehabilitate myself to becoming a more productive member of this society, and i will recipricate with some informal dialog on easy it is to annoy other users by being over enthusiastic, and showing a spark.......

Cheers folks.

this would imply that people were listening........

hold on, lets see if you can spot my device?

Originally posted by dempseyt
    Err........Maybe I should of shut my mouth and not be so curious in future:rolleyes:

Dempseyt... absolutely NOBODIES opinion here is worth any more then yours or anyone elses... except of course mine, regis, cloud, vexorg or tr1n1ty's.

Some people are mods, the vast majority of Mods are good people but they are subject to the same rules as other users.

They have my gratitude for doing a dirty job for no clear "benefit" but that doesnt mean they have some superior position here.

Dont confuse that with the fact that MOST mods are all pretty smart and usually bang on the money when they post. Thats just a coincidence of them being reasonably intelligent :)

The only answer here that matters a damn on THIS thread is mine. Thats not a power trip, thats the gods honest truth as mods cannot create other mods and generally have little input into the Mod creation process (to avoid a clique forming).

Dont be afraid to ask questions here and ignore the smartarses :)

DeV.

here here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

here here

But runfree, you ARE one of the smartarses :P

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement