Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chests

Options
  • 21-01-2003 12:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Wondering if it would be possible to update the server with a load of chests (saw it on some other mod - the key was in front of it and you put what ever u wanted into it )
    Each key would be different and each player could store stuff in there - ie - money ... as if you die with 200 k ... thats 20 grand gone.
    if you carry 20 k .. you only lose 200 - see what im getting at.
    it would also be handy if you could make a copy of this key and put it into your other char's inv.
    So if you wanted to trade weapons between your chars - all you would have to do is leave the weapons in the chest and then logon as a different char - and you can be assured that there wouldn't be any nasty thieves lying around :x

I was talking to Sarah and she has the script for chests so ...
    Just a thought
    - Light

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭FlashBang

as a matter of fact, I already created such a module. The only thing I'm missing is a script that will automatically close and lock a door again after 10-30 seconds. If I got that, I'd be able to finish this module which then could be imported into the main module. Every player would have a locker-room with chests (indestructable). The locks ain't pickable (on the door) and you'd get 4-8 keys for your room which you then can distrubute to your other chars and anyone you want to allow to enter your locker. There will also be a "team-locker" where you can put stuff you found on missions. Every (trustable) regular will get a key to this room so he can take equipment he NEEDS (read: NEEDS, not WANTS TO SELL) and put down good equipment he doesn't need (of course, good, magical equipment... no normal longswords and bucklers).

As an alternative, everyone could just create a mule-character and use him to store his personal stuff and money. Would be a bit complicated thou. I myself already swap items between my characters (i.e. if sarah gets a new ring of protection, the old one goes to the next lower-lvl character, etc). Even now I already have problems knowing who has what, so, a locker-room for everyone would pretty much rule. We'd just have to make sure that:

A. the server doesn't crash (DOH!)
    B. if the module gets updated and the server restarted, everyone's equipment is removed from the server first

which gets me to another alternative... I found a bank-system somewhere... lemme see if I can find the URL again...
    http://nwvault.ign.com/Files/scripts/data/1042730955812.shtml
    maybe this is what we need?

cya
    - Flash

p.s.: btw, here's a nice DM-helper: http://www.nwnguide.com/~nwnbuilder/

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Flash try this,

I'm not at home so can't test it,

void main()
    {
    DelayCommand(15.0, ActionCloseDoor(OBJECT_SELF));
    SetLocked(OBJECT_SELF, 1);
    }

That "should" close a door after 15secs and set it to locked.
    My scripting skills don't go so far as to open it again with a specific key :-)

"flawless victory"

thx for the help, cheese! It works. It's even reunlockable again.

I will finish the module and create a dummy-character that holds ALL keys to ALL doors. He'll have to be put into server-vault and will hand out keys to the lockers. Inside the lockers, you will find a couple of duplicate-keys you can hand out to your other characters. This will rock :)

cya
    - Flash

edit: checked into scripting now... ain't too hard really... thought it would be harder

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

hmmm, dont think I like the idea of sharing items between multiple characters owned by the same player.

what can happen is that a character, say a ranger, finds a wand of fireball. Instead of giving it to the party mage, he holds on to it for his other character who is a sorceror. So the party is short one usable wand... scenario becomes unbalanced (if it was balanced before) and you end up with a potential Raven situation on your hands.

For example: Varathan could give my current rogue *a lot* of items that while he can use them, they are waaaaay to powerful for a 1st level char. We end up with super group syndrome. Can't play lower level scenarios cos we walk through them, scenarios for our level are useless as we have items to handle everything and our ACs and +s to hit are way above what they should be so the scenario is a push over but, try playing ones a bit higher and we get stitched as our abilities haven't developed.

sorry for the rant, just trying ot make the point clear.

true, that's why we should create some kind of "mini-campaign" characters. I openly admit, I swap items between characters I use for just-for-fun play. Thou, if I created a character that would only be used on.. say... friday, I wouldn't put stuff on him/her (probably her). We just have to set up some rules for our gaming. Cause, another problem I see coming up is that ppl who have more time to play the game will be able to make it to games more often and longer than others. They will advance in levels quicker than the rest of the party (which is even boosted by the fact the others aren't there anymore and the ppl that keep playing get their XP PLUS the XP their teammates would've gotten).

But you're right, it's really an issue. I suppose we'll just have to trust each other there as, if they want, ppl will always be able to swap items from one character to another. The lockers will just make it easier.

• Advertisement
Advertisement