Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will Liverpool do the business?

• 21-01-2003 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

Can Liverpool beat Sheffield Utd tonight? I mean we're only a goal down but then again Salif Diao is back!!

(Dear God Please HELP US!!!)

:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I think it'll be a one all draw tbh. But I want you to win so there could be a chance of a United vs Liverpool final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Yep, we will win 3-0. Really. I watched the Southampton game, we could have won that 4 or 5 nil. If we PASS THE BALL tonite then I don't see why we shouldn't keep on the winning track. One win in a row is a record to be proud of !
    It would be nice if that Tonge lad gets a kick or three from Salif aswell.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Although Anfields not the fortress it used to be , I'll go for a close home win + the pool to go through to final ....

But I'll still be extremely nervous watchin game tonight :rolleyes:

Come on the Pool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

It'l be very close i'd say. We know Liverpool are not the most fluent goalscorers in England so I think I'll go for a one or two nil win. They do have the away goal advantage too.

Who will win it out though?

G'wan the pool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Yeah, I really hope Liverpool get through tonight, cause it would be a great final if they did ... not matter who they play (utd or rovers). But I have to say, they really need to put in a good performance, cause Sheff Utd are flying at the moment.

BTW watch out of Sheff Utd's Irish keeper .... Paddy Kenny. Hes meant to be quite good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

This may not be considered constructive, but I'd prefer if Liverpool were to be knocked out. Simply because, the longer this run continues, the closer we are to change. Houllier has spent a lot of money on really crap players. Money that could have been used far better by someone with a little more tact. The likes of diouf, diao, smicer, heskey, biscan, traore are a complete waste of space. Diouf and Heskey alone were £20!? Whilst he lets the likes of Anelka Fowler and Litmanen slip away. I don't like him, and I don't like his 'tactics'. Of course when we were winning trophies, I wasn't so critical, but we didn't do it in style like United or Arsenal. We fluked it.

So although I want Liverpool to do well, I can't see it happening under '11 men behind the ball, Gerard hoof it to Owen, Diouf was a quality buy and traore is unfairly criticised' Houllier.

Originally posted by kamobe
    This may not be considered constructive, but I'd prefer if Liverpool were to be knocked out. Simply because, the longer this run continues, the closer we are to change. Houllier has spent a lot of money on really crap players. Money that could have been used far better by someone with a little more tact. The likes of diouf, diao, smicer, heskey, biscan, traore are a complete waste of space. Diouf and Heskey alone were £20!? Whilst he lets the likes of Anelka Fowler and Litmanen slip away. I don't like him, and I don't like his 'tactics'. Of course when we were winning trophies, I wasn't so critical, but we didn't do it in style like United or Arsenal. We fluked it.

So although I want Liverpool to do well, I can't see it happening under '11 men behind the ball, Gerard hoof it to Owen, Diouf was a quality buy and traore is unfairly criticised' Houllier.

I agree with alot of what you are saying, but I totally disagree about Diouf. I think hes a waste of space. I was shocked when GH was willing to spend out so much for him. As a forward player, hes not direct enough imo. When (if?) he beats a player, he usually tries to beat him again, and then ends up losing the ball! Liverpool would be far better off with an Owen - Baros partnership imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I agree with alot of what you are saying, but I totally disagree about Diouf. I think hes a waste of space.
    I'll try to make my biting sarcasm a little clearer in future :rolleyes:

Originally posted by kamobe
    I'll try to make my biting sarcasm a little clearer in future :rolleyes:

Fair enough. My mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

i think we will win with owen coming back on form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm not going to slag off the players or Houllier until we loose!

I'm not confident and I fear if Liverpool score early, they'll go into
    thier patented "defence mode" then conceed in the 88th min!

Liverpool 2 0 Sheffield Utd Pleeeeeeze!

Mike.

Theres the early goal Mike

:eek: Jonno, did you have that ready to post?

Owen should have scored in the second min!

Mike.

Full time

Liverpool 1 0 Sheffield Utd

Extra Time to follow. Its been about 75% Liverpool pressure, but the finnishing just not quite incisive enough.

Mike.

I have an announcement.....

Owen Has Scored!

Mike.

Do away goals not count? This is just nerve racking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Looks like we could have .....

That Kenny is one helluva keeper...

Originally posted by Thanx 4 The Fish

That Kenny is one helluva keeper...

Agreed. 4 saves in 7 minutes

If it finnishes 2-1 to Liverpool there will be an penalty shoot out!

Mike.

Thats it then, we'r there

I always taught that away goals counted. Obviously not.:p

• Advertisement

Remember the first leg finnished 2-1 to Utd so it would be a draw
    hence penalties, Utd would need two goals in the next 25 sec to win outright.

Mike.

We win, yipeee! :D

(hang on a min, at the start of the season I would'nt have given a damn about the Worthless Cup!:eek: )

Mike.

Wonder who we'll have to beat to win it now:p

Anything silver will do me now, especially after the last few months.

Im getting confused though. Its saying on the liverpool website that if the score remained 1-0 after extra time that we would have won on the away goals rule, but tonight we had to win it out right, otherwise peno's. Was this the same for previous years or what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Originally posted by jonno
    Wonder who we'll have to beat to win it now:p

Anything silver will do me now, especially after the last few months.

Im getting confused though. Its saying on the liverpool website that if the score remained 1-0 after extra time that we would have won on the away goals rule, but tonight we had to win it out right, otherwise peno's. Was this the same for previous years or what.

If it finished 1-0 then after extra time Liverpool would have gone through on away goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Away goals only count after the end of extra time. We would only have had to win it out right (as we did) had Sheffield scored one away goal and it stood at 2-1, which would have meant us getting a third or it would have gone to penalties.

Also what do ye make of the allegations os Sheffield Utd's outspoken mangager then Henchoz spat at him at the end of the game? The TV replays werent very conclusive but im sure theyll zoom it up etc etc. If he did spit directly at him then he was very silly to say the least. No doubht The Sun should use their powers of deduction on this one.

On a different note, anybody notice Liverpools discipline go out the window these past few months? Kirkland even got booked tonight. Maybe its just teh frustration of not winning much lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Kirkland was extremely unlucky. He was clearly fouled by Allison who not only completely obstructed him from the ball but was also holding his shirt how the lines man failed to see this I will neevr know and it could have given the game to Sheffield United in the vary last seconds of the game had the deflection off Henchoz been 2 feet more to the right. Smicer picked up his 5 yellow card of the season as well tonight so he is banned for a game (woohoo I hear ye say)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I thought aul Kirkland was lucky to get only a Yellow especially the way he bounced into the ref , all arms waving about. Overall though it was a good game Sheffield put up a good fight but were well beaten "at the end of the day" - There keeper Kenny does look good too , he kept them in the game with some more great saves/interceptions.

The good thing to come out of the match is Owens Goal and Dioufs performance / goal ( Surprisingly enough he was named African Player of the year again this year :rolleyes: )

Well done the Pool :)

Advertisement