Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Album Archive 23/01/03

Options
  • 21-01-2003 12:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Prince - Sign O The Times

Not an easy prospect, trying to put across the brilliance of this 80-minute album in a 60-minute show with ads and speech. However, I love a challenge.

In late 1986 The Minneapolis Munchkin fired his band The Revolution in order to go back to working the way he used to in the old days, very much a one-man-band ethos. The result was Sign O The Times, a landmark record for Prince himself and contemporary music in general. Sign O The Times has it all. Rock, Pop, Ballads, Soul, Funk, Rap and anything else you care to mention. It spawned 4 massive hit singles for His Purpleness, in the title track, I Could Never Take The Place of Your Man, U Got the Look and If I Was Your Girlfriend. Thing is, the singles aren't even the best songs on the album. Tune in to Phantom on Thursday between 8 and 9pm and we'll take you through the genesis, recording and release of the record aswell as playing album tracks and b-sides associated with the release.

Long may he reign.

Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Rob Taylor

Ah Raggamuffin. How did I know you'd reply to this thread with a negative comment? You're becoming a parody of yourself.

I'll make a deal with you. YOU pick an album, submit to me 4 typed A4 pages about it (font 12), including information concerning the history, recording and release of the album. I'll also need you to supply hard-to-find demos, b-sides and live tracks associated with the album. If your script is good enough, I'll broadcast it. If it's not, I won't. And you'll have to trust my judgement on this.

You know the format of the show if you listen to it, so I won't bore you with the details; and if you DON'T listen to it, then your comments today and in the past are just unfounded anyway.

If you think you're up to it, email your script to robt@phantomfm.com, or you can post it to :

Rob Taylor
    Phantom FM
    PO Box 6721
    Dun Laoghaire
    Co Dublin

So come on then. Put your money where your mouth is. Or are you just all gob and no trousers?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

But girls wear trousers too...

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

The album archive shows i've heard where about 'Pet Sounds' by The Beach Boys, 'Revolver' by The Beatles and an ablum by Ben Folds Five that i cant remember its name, but anyway they are all top class albums and its nice to hear background info on the making of the ablum and hard to find demos and such, its an interesting way to spend an hour listening to radio as your knoweldge on music increases and if you dont like it dont tune in.
    So keep up the good work Rob T.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

You can dooo eeet Raggamuffin!

Cut his ****ing head off!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Damn I would've liked to have heard the Revolver special.

I may listen to Sign of the Times, I've only got the greatest hits compiliation, because thats where my knowledge of Prince starts and ends. 'Cept for the batman soundtrack, I think I've heard that too.

• Advertisement

Well Raggamuffin, glad to see you're up for it. In response to yours and Amz points about me reading out your work; That's the deal. This will give you a chance to do something other than make lazy comments about Phantom's hard work from the safety of your computer. There'll be no "co-presentation", although if I deem your script to be good enough, of course I'll mention on air that the content of the show all came from you. The format of the show should be as I've always done it. You'll be credited alright. If you don't feel comfortable with me presenting a show of your writing, then don't write one. There's no place for being precious if you want to accept this challenge.

I'm pleased that you want to devote time to the project, so it'd suit me better as well if you did it when you've finished studying. It'll be a chance for you to see exactly how much work goes into the show and may give you a new perspective on how hard all of us at Phantom actually work.

I'll send you a private message later in the week detailing all the album's I've already covered.

Regards

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

when your done raggamuffin, will ya stick it up here so we can have a read... nice one

Thanks Raggamuffin, you've proved my original point.

Regards

Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

In fairness, Rob was trying to illustrate the point that it's one thing to bitch and moan on the internet, and quite another to go to the trouble of researching and preparing a script. Also, the original challenge was to write a script for the show, not present it - a challenge which Raggamuffin accepted. It was when Rob Taylor called his bluff that Raggamuffin insisted that he present it, perhaps seizing it as an opportunity to escape the challenge.

Mr. Taylor:

Could you post up the full list of albums you've done on the show? I'd love to know if I've missed any of my favourites.

Secondly, does the invitation of researching and writing a script/compiling material apply to anyone?

Hi Nekkidbibleman

Yes, I'll post up a list of the albums featured so far. There's a fair few so it'll be over the next couple of days. My invitation to Raggamuffin was intended to prove a point, but if you feel you'd like to send in a script for the Archive, please do so. Have to say from the outset thoiugh that I can't guarantee it'll air, but don't be offended if that is the case.

Thank you for your interest.

Regards

Rob

• Advertisement
Advertisement