Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wtf???

Options
  • 21-01-2003 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭

Don't mean to be picky, but why am I currently listening to Eminem on Phantom?? I thought phantom played alternative music.... next thing you know it'll be Brittany Spears. You guys need to clear out the MP3's you use during the day...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

Yeah i heard that too earlier.....come on , even my mate listens to that and his taste in music is really bad.

First time i heard it tho so maybe its on the phantom playlist.....heaven forbid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i love eminem! he deserves to get played on pahntom! (IMO)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

You're welcome to your opinion, but my point is that he's not exactly indie. Phantom is there as an alternative to whats played on every other station.

I believe the banner on www.phantomfm.com says "Broadcasting Rock and Indie Music to the World". I don't think you could argue that Eminem fits either category.

well, robbie williams is on an indie label (so stick that in yer pipe and smoke it ;)) or at least he used to be. so maybe phantom should play that? he he

i've heard them play the prodigy too, and i didnt hear much complaining about that. i think it just depends on what the dj is into, kind of, and whether its fits in. or somehting.

i dont think its strictly playing what the other stations not playing, or in my mind it shouldnt be, but that it should play music that fits in with the style of the station, which usually isnt what other stations play, or give a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

And Kylie used to be on an indie label during the 80s. In fact it was always amusing to open the latest edition on NME or Melody Maker to find Kylie on top of the Indie charts over the artists that would be more regular fare for NME readers.

As regards, the Enimem the issue is hardly worth debating. There will always be artists that cross over from "alternative" to "mainstream" and vice-versa (sometimes!). Our overall ethos is to provide an alternative to mainstream radio - that's not to say that they will not pick up on songs we play and I'm sure there are some songs that you will hear on Phantom and FM104, for example.

Do bear in mind, that Enimen was considered groundbreaking, contoversial and to be banned from these shores at all costs is his earlier days. Just because his music has become popular does not necesarily mean that he can't be played on Phantom FM. Drowner hit the nail on the head with her post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

I still really hate that sap... he'd better just go back to his trayler park...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

damn straight, down with eminem i say! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Cherry

Don't get me started on Eminem GCrolleyesblack.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Ugh i get enough of that idiot at home without him invading phantom..
    Lamda's mother:"I love Eminem, hes a poet"
    Lamda:"Shut up you silly woman!!!!!!!!!!":mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭anony

Yeah, bit of a tricky area. I was thinking the same thing while listening to one by U2 on phantom the other day. I really like U2 but the point being why is this "Alternative" radio station playing one of the biggest selling bands on the planet. But then I realised that would also mean not playing some of my fav's Rolling Stones, Led Zep, The Beatles and didn't Nirvana sell a couple of million records as well, does this mean they're no longer "alternative"?. I don't know.

I just wish Phantom would'nt play so much of that poxy american punky, pop thing, I believe it's called emo, whatever it is, its really
    annoying

Anyway according to Eminem "radio won't even play my jam" now thatz a goddamn lie Marshall and you know it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

yeah, none of that 'urban' music. let's just keep it guitars drums and singing, like the stereophonics and embrace and those sort of bands.

BrianD - just because he was banned or contraversial does not make him alternative - if it did you'd have to give airplay to George Michael ;) And Kylie did record "Where the Wild Roses Grow" with Nick Cave, so she has had some credibility, no?

The banner says rock and indie which doesn't preclude Beatles/Stones/Zepp ot Nirvana for that matter. My point is that I'm sick to death of gangsta rap, and it's not as if eminem isn't being shoved down your throat everytime you turn on the telly. He's been manufactured to make it OK for white middle class American kids to listen to rap music. I've never heard any Dr Dre or Snoop Dog on Phantom even though its the same genre - so why Eminem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Stimpson - Why not?

If a presenter feels that a track from any artist is suitable for the program or fits in well with a particular set of songs that they have played then why not.

You arguement re George Michael in non-sensical. Why would we have to play George Michael? We pick songs from artist on their merit and suitability to what we do. I never said that being controversial made him alternative. You did. I did say that he was controversial - meaning that he had a sound and style that was initially not accepted by the "mainstream" and was considered by many to be groundbreaking. As yes the Kylie song with Nick Cave does demonstrate that select songs from artists that we would not normally play could be aired on the station.

I'm not a particular fan of Eninem but while you find the Beatles, Stones and Nirvana (the band that adorned the side of many a bus over Xmas - the same positions normally occupied by commercial radio stations) acceptable to air on the station there are many who find Eninem acceptable to the played on the station. Lets face it switch on 98, 104 or Lite FM and you will hear the the aforementioned artists as well as your hourly dose of Eninmen

This is a particular arguement that goes no where. For most Phantom listeners, music is very important to them and will be very opinionated and emotional about many artists. You'll will like music we play and I'm sure there are some you'll go "what the ...". That's the way it goes. Keep listening. :-)

I take issue with the assertation that M&M was groundbreaking. There were plenty of people making similar music for years - the only difference being the colour of their skin.

My point about Geroge Michael was tongue in cheek. The point was to show that you need to be more than contraversial to qualify as alternative.

I'm probably the last person who should dictate a music policy for Phantom, but I'm sure many listeners will agree with me that the music in question is manufactured rubbish for mainstream consumption bought by kids because mummy won't like it.

As for Nirvana adorning the side of a bus - that's probably more to do with Courtney Love squeezing the last few cents out of Kurt Cobains corpse than anything else. And 98FM et al. may play the odd beatles song, but you can bet its going to be "Love me do" rather than "Polythene Pam" - its hardly the same thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

I agree with the point that he could be played on Phantom. I also believe that something hinges on which track they played. If it was one of the played to death singles, it'd be a bit lame. If it was an album track then I guess that'd be a bit more credible.

Anyhoo, I like my rap, have a fair collection of it and by virtue of this reckon I think I can give an educated opinion - that Eminem is a very talented bloke. It is nothing to do with skin colour, I've heard rival black artists stating openly that he has a lot of talent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

I think we're going off the point....

m&m is a twat!.... he has ruined a perfectly good Milk Chocolate snack! i can't eat 'em any more without wanting to hurt that rapping twat...

please continue.....

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭decob

nah, m&m is ok in small doses....

tho i'd have more concerns over that dance track i hear now and again... was played today (thurday) at about 3.30 or 4.30...

hear hear, anony, brian d and shay!
    i've a lot of repect for eminem, even though he's not really someone i would listen to a lot. as he's said so recently on interviews, the fact that he is white was a bonus, and helped him break various markets, but he couldnt have gotten there without pure talent-and his film and songs and record sales all show pure talent.

(if anyone turns around now and says well look at the sales of wetlife...grrrrrrr)

but im definately off the opinion that he shouldn't be too shocking on phantom, even though its a different style of music to whats played mostly, he just fits in. the beastie boys fit in, why cant eminem!

[off topic rant]i hate this view that some people have about mainstream music....there's a lot of people out there who think theyre superior to everyone just because they dont listen to 'manufactured rubbish' and choose to listen to really cool bands. (i know im going really off topic here, sorry). i listen to music coz i like it and i hate it when i get slagged off for listening to music like christina aguilera because its '****ing ****e'. im not accusing anyone on this thread of being like that, i just find there's a general attitude out there with regards to it. if u dont like mainstream music, thats fine, but there's no need to put everyone who does down with a stupid argument[/off topic rant!}

Originally posted by thedrowner
    the beastie boys fit in, why cant eminem!

damn. i was going to make that point.

what i think is really depressing here, is that the people who will complain about eminem being played on phantom are the same ones that will complain about 2fm 104 etc not playing enough diversity. and then they want yer meat and 2 veg boring indie to be played over and over again.

and i'd also have to agree with the drowner regarding a general hatred of popular music. it's this elitism which seems to take over peoples whole view of music. now, i'm as elitist as the next person (for example, i reserve the right to dismiss the new westlife album without even listening to it) but dismissing whole genres ... it's just crazy.

having said all that, i ****ing hate christina aguilera. but not because of who she is, just because i don't like her songs... eep

great minds think alike, o sleep! (and fools seldom differ!)
    did u head in to HS in the end? (and have u tracked down me supergrass album yet ;))

and i'd also have to agree with the drowner regarding a general hatred of popular music. it's this elitism which seems to take over peoples whole view of music. now, i'm as elitist as the next person (for example, i reserve the right to dismiss the new westlife album without even listening to it) but dismissing whole genres ... it's just crazy.

having said all that, i ****ing hate christina aguilera. but not because of who she is, just because i don't like her songs... eep

exactly. and i listen to a lot of music that'd be desrcibe as elitist. but i dont act (anymore) like it makes me any more knowledgeable about music than someone who listenes to more mainstream music. that's their choice! it just really bugs me when i feel that people look down on others and slag others for no reason coz of their music choice. i dont mind playful teasing, but you know yourself, sometimes it goes too far.

and see that's it, fair enough u dont like christina aguilera, youve given a valid reason as to why you dont like her, without coming accross all pompous!i didnt used to like her but that song dirrty...its bloody brilliant. i cant help dancing like a crazed maniac whenever it comes on!

• Advertisement

Just because I object to Eminem being played on phantom I'm now Eliteist? Not really - I can't stand his music, but if thats what you want to listen to then thats you're choice. But you have no shortage of places to hear it. I never said he wasn't talanted, but I'd wager his success has less to do with his talent than the marketing department of his record label (as the Westlife argument goes to prove).

I like phantom because it is plugging a gap in the market by playing music that doesn't get aired elsewhere. Most music played on Phantom just doesn't get aired anywhere else. If it's ok to play eminem, then why not christina aguilera or westlife or whatever else is on MTV's A-list at the moment.

I don't think anyone could argue that 98FM104 play enough diversity, but I don't moan about it because I don't listen to those stations. Simalarly, you shouldn't tune into Phantom if you don't want to hear "meat and two veg" indie (whatever that is) because Phantom is an indie station - it does exactly what it says on the tin (most of the time anyway :) )

yeah ... and i could hardly slag anyone off (for maybe liking say ... christina aguilera) when i'm quite fond of the sugababes (well, some of the songs i've heard).

i didn't make it to Helter Shelter unfortunately, long story, but maybe the next time. as for the supergrass album ... i'm still trying to locate certain people who may or may not have it themselves ... they've gone missing, you see ...

ah now, i never called you elitist! i even made a point of saying that i didnt think anyone on this thread was being snobby, but that there was a general attitude out there from some people.

Just because I object to Eminem being played on phantom I'm now Eliteist? Not really - I can't stand his music, but if thats what you want to listen to then thats you're choice. But you have no shortage of places to hear it. I never said he wasn't talanted, but I'd wager his success has less to do with his talent than the marketing department of his record label (as the Westlife argument goes to prove).

this is kind of half true. yes, his success has a lot to do with marketing, but it also has to do with his talent. as much as a lot of people dislike a lot of the pop bands out at the moment, if you say they're completely talentless, you know that's not true. they wouldnt have gotten this far without something special-i mean how far are the cheeky girls going to get? because they actually can't sing, and i assume in about 6 months time, most people will have forgotten about them-i doubt even marketing will be able to save them. (if i'm wrong, i'll apologise in 6 months time :))

I like phantom because it is plugging a gap in the market by playing music that doesn't get aired elsewhere. Most music played on Phantom just doesn't get aired anywhere else. If it's ok to play eminem, then why not christina aguilera or westlife or whatever else is on MTV's A-list at the moment.

it's as simple as this-his music fits in (well...some of the dj's and some of the listeners seem to think so). if you heard 'blue' in the middle of a set of songs, you'd be a lot more shocked.for me, it clearly does fit in with the style of the station. and it seems to me, that 'blue' are liked by people who mostly listen to pop muisc, whereas eminem's music doesnt have that specificity to it.

well, the sugagbabes rule though, that goes without saying. i dont think i've heard a crap song from them yet.
    i'm still trying to locate certain people who may or may not have it themselves ... they've gone missing, you see ...

the mind boggles ;)

meat and two veg indie would be something like stereophonics, and here's where i'd disagree with you regarding marketing and phantom's music policy. firstly, marketing: do you really reckon bands like stereophonics, nirvana, everyone apart from the ultra alternative bands haven't been marketed to a certain degree? even people like will oldham and bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor are cultivated (more by themselves than by the record company, but the argument still works) in such a way to present themselves to a market audience. or perhaps i'm being terribly cynical. also, if in your opinion, phantom shouldn't be playing anything off MTVs A-list, then this would automatically rule out, say, Stereophonics (oh, we can only live in hope), Oasis (hmmm, i'm starting to see your side of things now), that whole american punk scene (blink 182, sum 41 etc). also, if i recall correctly, it was Spin FM which was the first station to play the 'new' nirvana song, you know you're right (according to themselves, but still, they were playing it, therefore, should phantom not play this?).

and so on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 foigal

Well this is an interesting topic. BUT wouldnt it be even better if there was some fun way of picking songs to be played during the mysterious djless bits.(maybe there is, just no-ones ever told me)

That way if music of poor quality was played we'd know who it was and could come round their place and "have a word...":rolleyes:

Advertisement