Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Those scratch cards

Options
  • 21-01-2003 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

The ones that you get free with magazines etc.

With my independent directory I got a few, normally I put them straight to the bin, but since i was bored i decided to rub it,
    On the one that I have, it says '3 matching symbols guarantees you a reward from the list overleaf' which are a laptop,tv,dvd etc

Now I read the small print and it doesn't say any give away catch

on the how to claim it says
    1 you may call 1580XXXXXX to find out what you have won
    2 complete the name and address section below
    3 send card with self addressed envelope to : XX

it says on teh back the price of the phone call will be about 10euro, but this is only optional

now I am wondering has anyone actually sent one of these off??

I dont have to ring to claim .. so am wondering where is the scam?? It says I am guaranteed to win one of those prizes
    is there any loop hole around this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

I heard that you usually win flight tickets for one person to somewhere. not very useful. They are worth more than the 10 euro for the phone call, but they are on the condition that you book into a certain hotel... thats how they get their money.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Exactly right, Dampsquid. My experience is that you will always always always win holiday vouchers worth between €300 and €650. You send the scratch card off to somewhere in the UK, and a month later you will get these vouchers in the post.

Sounds like a good deal, right?

Well my parents decided last September to try the vouchers out and go somewhere nice for a week. On the back of the vouchers is a phone number you can call to enquire about booking the holiday. The catch it that no matter what time of the day or night we rang, we just couldn't get through to that number.

The worst part is that we'd been saving up these vouchers - after 4 phone calls to that 1580 number, we had €2000 of vouchers saved up. If we'd tried ringing the number after getting the first set, I know we'd never have redeemed any more scratchcards after that. At €10 a pop for those phone calls, its not worth it.

Scam, scam, scam.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

No such thing as a free lunch.

Advertisement