Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3rd year Software Development

Options
  • 21-01-2003 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I'm in second year in a Software Development course. What i would like to know is this: Is there much of a difference between second year and third year? Is there more project work? Is there more hours in college? That sorta stuff. Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Originally posted by sjones
    I'm in second year in a Software Development course. What i would like to know is this: Is there much of a difference between second year and third year? Is there more project work? Is there more hours in college? That sorta stuff. Cheers.

depends on what course etc.

I did DCU's comp course I found that 2nd year was a lot of theory, we had into to normalisation etc .. V boring
    then in 3 rd year we had a lot of UML and that sort of stuff

but in theory yes, more hours and work etc

1 st year is nothing its only a basic
    2nd is 'Right we are gonna stop holding your hand'
    3rd is .. well I duuno like 2nd year but more work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

The course i'm doing has alot of theory and alot of practical work too. We did all the UML stuff this year (in Java). We have 8 modules too - alot of work! - Cheers hussey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

speaking as a CIT student in the Computer Applications Degree system, 3rd year is a NIGHTMARE EXPERIENCE WITH MANY PITFALLS AND PERIODS OF ANGUISH !!!

if you dont start studying early, then you are foobar'd.

this may only apply to 3rd years where work placement is used, as I am not familiar with other programs

Here in ITT we don't have work placement until 4th year. Since you're talking about studying from the start of the year... Last year 120 or so started this course, 58 started second year and about 30something visit lectures regularly. The class average is ****e, but the college is not to blame. There are people getting 80's and 90's consistently - they are the minority :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Stark

3rd year in UCC sucks - group project :(
    Being one of the top students in the class means i'm stuck with a bunch of leeches. (well word leech isn't exactly fair, these people suck my life's blood far more efficiently than any leech could).

• Advertisement

Originally posted by k.oriordan
    3rd year in UCC sucks - group project :(
    Being one of the top students in the class means i'm stuck with a bunch of leeches. (well word leech isn't exactly fair, these people suck my life's blood far more efficiently than any leech could).

There's people that did that to me at the start of this year. But i've decided it's my work so i tell 'em to feck off from now on. Are these people going to get other people to do their work for them when they get a job? But as for being in a group project with them - I don't envy you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ManWithThePlan

Doing 1st year Computer Applications in Carlow IT. Can't wait till 2nd year to get some proper work done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Originally posted by ManWithThePlan
    Doing 1st year Computer Applications in Carlow IT. Can't wait till 2nd year to get some proper work done :)

That's sacrilige!!! Never do you have as much time/opportunities to go on the piss as when you in first year!!! Enjoy it while it lasts
    You'll be dead long enough...

You have been warned!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

well k.oriordan and daveirl welcome to the real world

real work is all about working in teams and makeing sure that every works to the best of their ability

doesn't matter how good you are (or think you are) if you can't work well in a team and relate to ppl you won't last long in a job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭SlimShady

i completely agree with that last post...

now ill elaborate...u guys are a bunch of anti social geeks with that attitude. u completely remind me of my course...well some of the guys in my course...yes the geeks in my course. U know? living in front of a screen??? find it difficult to pick up a phone whenever it rings of course....grrrrrr i hate geeeks.

"Im not working in a group because im too good" or whatever u geeks said....GRRRRRRR THAT PISSES ME OFF!

Emm why should I teach other people how to do stuff instead of them going to the lecture. I manage to run competively, go to all my lectures, be an active member of a political party and do all my college work so if anyone in my project group isn't carrying their weight it's because they're just not working.

U never said they dont go to lectures previously. u just said they leech. U also will have no choice but to work in groups after college. And you wont be the best in the group your in, and when u have some problem and ur moaning for help, chances are the person who knows the solution wont tell u jack **** simply because of that geekiness thats shining through you! but hey if u like it, its all good!
    All group projects suck like that. It's not so much that they leech sometimes but that you have to explain stuff to other people. You get the work done slower than working on your own.

Seems to be, you just have a serious problem dealing with people. If you ask me, you have a problem communicating with people....JUST LET ME EMPHASISE WHAT YOU SAID AGAIN...
    It's not so much that they leech sometimes but that you have to explain stuff to other people.

Thats not normal man, lecturers know that copying and stuff goes on in groups. Thats why we all do it. So you have to deal with it. You sound like such a kid...grrr i know i dont know you, but your attitude clearly sucks...remind me of a couple of guys in my course...i know the sort geek

grrr

^^^^^^ :rolleyes:

dont mind him daveirl, talk about trolling !!

i am on dave's side here. just because lecturers know that there is copying going on doesnt make it right.

i would hope, as is my own situation, that when the individual interview per group concerning the project is done, that the person who deserves the mark gets it.

i can hardly see SlimShady being a productive member of a group out there in the real world. oh so mature comments such as "geek". also, if you ARE going to quote, please do not mis-quote !! dave clearly stated

It's not so much that they leech sometimes but that you have to explain stuff to other people

althought dave is perhaps a little crude and too generalistic with the comment, it is a fact of many groups that the above takes place.

because of that geekiness thats shining through you

another example of the "maturity" of the poster. since when is geekiness a word ? i would imagine the person telling dave telling you jack **** will be slimshady, given that he wont know a damned thing from year of leeching :D

well said GS.

ok fine **** it! look, i quoted properly first of all.

I am not a leecher or an unproductive member. I usually get 2.1's and 2.2's. Im happy with that. I get 1's usually in hardware kind of subject so thats that out of the way.

I dont give a **** if you agree with me or not. Your all a pack of geeks if you moan about having to work in groups, regardless of how good you are or arent, or if leeching occurs. Cant you be man enough to tell these people not to leech off you. Anyway, i bet they dont respect you at all, which is why they are leeching from you in the first place.

Honestly...you piss me off with that attitude.

bet they dont respect you at all, which is why they are leeching from you in the first place.

what a large amount of sanctimonious bullcrap !! respect ? wtf !! the only reason people leech is because they haven't a clue how to do the work themselves or are too fúckin lazy to at least try.

Your all a pack of geeks

shouldnt that me a gaggle of geeks ?

Originally posted by Gone Shootin
    the only reason people leech is because they haven't a clue how to do the work themselves or are too fúckin lazy to at least try.

True. Happens to me. The people who leech off me are the people who don't bother their arses in coming in to lectures and don't do ANY work in class. People like that drag you down as you have to show them what to do, thus taking you longer to finish your work.
    shouldnt that me a gaggle of geeks ?

Yes, i like that. ;)

so whats your thought then on the people that go to the lectures and do work but still have difficulty with it? You wouldnt bother helping them no or would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by SlimShady
    so whats your thought then on the people that go to the lectures and do work but still have difficulty with it? You wouldnt bother helping them no or would you?

In fairness, while doing group projects in college does give you a new perspective on doing projects, in the real world you won't be forced to work with people who don't know what they're doing, or who just don't bother doing the work. They either won't get the job, or will be ejected from he project as soon as it's realised that they're lazy bums.

In a work environment I wouldn't put up with slackers, so why should people be forced to put up with it in college?

A guy in the same class as me, but not in my project group, asked me for a grind, and half way through, offered to pay me if I wrote the code for him, claiming that if he saw the code written down, he'd be able to understand it :rolleyes: I refused, mainly because I don't have the time (I need money :p), but also on principle. To get to third year and still be bluffing your way through is just remarkable.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MisterMax

Is 3rd yr S/W development worth doing??

The reason im askingf this is because ive 2 yrs S/W development done and am on a yr out. The jobs in the comp industry at the moment are pretty dull + will prob be like that 4 at least 3 or 4 yrs more.

Im debating if i should go back to finish my diploma/degree, I currently have a cert, and was doing tech support as work experience. Im now looking 4 some programming or network experience related jobs, but come September im not sure i want to stick with my career choice.

Any1 else with the same concerns, or what do you people in 3rd
    yr or who have just graduated think of all this. Will the industry turn around + will we get something worthy of a 4 yr degree at the end of it all.

Im only a first year. But if you are capable of doing it, then by all means do it. the cash to be made is serious, although to some people cash is not the most important priority in life....but for me, as well as being healthy, it ****en is!!!!! Ye go for it, even if its not doing too great here, the wages are still brilliant in this country for degrees in programming related courses. And if not, go abroad to america, work in a bank in new york as a programmer and watch the bucks and all that follows roll in...

A cert to the best of my knowledge is not that good in computers because it covers all the basics. But if u go for the degree then ur sorted. A cert is fine depending on what you want to do but for serious cash, you wouldnt get it in computers i dont think.

Are you even listening to me?

I said i don't liek when slackers ask for help. If someone is genuinely finding it hard to keep up i'd give them help.
    But i have no time for slackers.

Sure, college is meant to be fun, but there's alot of work to be done too.
    This is a major stepping stone to your' future career.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Im only a first year. But if you are capable of doing it, then by all means do it. the cash to be made is serious, although to some people cash is not the most important priority in life....but for me, as well as being healthy, it ****en is!!!!! Ye go for it, even if its not doing too great here, the wages are still brilliant in this country for degrees in programming related courses. And if not, go abroad to america, work in a bank in new york as a programmer and watch the bucks and all that follows roll in...

A cert to the best of my knowledge is not that good in computers because it covers all the basics. But if u go for the degree then ur sorted. A cert is fine depending on what you want to do but for serious cash, you wouldnt get it in computers i dont think.

You are a fool. Where have you been the last few months ? I know several fellows, graduated, with 2.1's 1.1's, masters and are all having problems finding jobs. The salary rates are not good in Ireland, compared to Europe/America.

Gav

dont call me a fool bitch...well the wages in this country are still ****en good...if you get one. I personally felt the wages were excellent in this country just from looking at the jobs section on IOL and various pages.

Also, i did mention about going to America and to be honest, the wages in this country are excellent still for programmers, and thats when its still not doing too great. Imagine when it starts to boom,(WHEN of course) but still, it will boom and the money will always be good.

'Would the real Slim Shady please shut up, please shut up..'

SlimShady hasn't a clue.

Exactly...it will start to boom again. And the wages in this country for programmers right now is pretty damn good.

• Advertisement

Advertisement