Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Broadband connections are available in Cork?

Options
  • 21-01-2003 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hello All

This is my first time posting to boards but I have been lurking for a long time.

I have really enjoyed the posts!

I need some help however.

I am moving to Cork in a couple of months and want to get a decent net connect when I move.

I will need one for my home and my office.

I understand ADSL is available in the city centre, Ballincollig and Carrigaline through Eircom and Esat.

I would however like to have a few other options available.

Does Chorus have its Powernet service available in Cork yet?

If so is it any good because from what I hear nobody in Limerick is happy with the service.

What satellite, radio or other options are available?

Also does anyone know any good office space available to rent in Cork?

Around 500 square feet please.

I appreciate any help or advice you can offer.

Cheers,
    Discovering

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Well all I can tell you is that Esat's ADSL is also available in the northside. I'm in Shankiel and I'm hopefully getting the home version (256/128) in the next few weeks. Other than that I'm not much help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Discovering

Cheers omahaid

What is the business adsl like?

Is it fast and reliable?

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I understand ADSL is available in the city centre, Ballincollig and Carrigaline through Eircom and Esat.

Have a look [url]ttp://ocean.ucc.ie/02/tjod1/exchange.html]here[/url]. Add Wellington Road, which is north city center.

Does Chorus have its Powernet service available in Cork yet?

Nope. Well, strictly speaking yes, but they sell it as FWA at leased line prices.

What satellite, radio or other options are available?

A group called CorkWAN is building a wireless WAN at the moment, but it's going to be a while before it's up and running, at least a couple months. (DISCLAIMER: I'm their PRO.)

Now, someone move this to Nets/Comms, eh? And move those bloody wireless threads while you're at it. :)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

douglas too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Moving to Nets/Comms

(btw: before someone PMs me to tell me that some threads going into BB and some into Nets/Comms is a little confusing, I'll have a chat with verb (Nets/Comms mod) and the leading lights of the BB forum (including Chief assuming he gets made mod) on a <cough> policy (after I manage to fail my exams))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭De Rebel

Originally posted by Discovering
    I am moving to Cork in a couple of months and want to get a decent net connect when I move.

Welcome to paradise
    I will need one for my home and my office.

Choose your locations with caution, coverage is patchy. And some areas are serviced by one vendor only. eg Douglas is Eircom only.

Also Middleton, Douglas and the area served by the Quaker Road (part of the city centre) and Churchfield (part of the North/North West suburbs). Not too sure about Carrigaline. And further out Mallow has service I believe. Don't make assumptions about the city centre - it is not fully covered.
    I would however like to have a few other options available.

Wouldn't we all. But there isn't.
    Also does anyone know any good office space available to rent in Cork?Around 500 square feet please.

There is plenty, quality varies a lot, from modern high tech to grotty. Depends on what you want really. (parking, city centre location, suburban office park, etc.) But be warned, a lot of the modern office space is NOT broadband (i.e. DSL) enabled.

Well I suppose its paradise in most respects, we are still working on Internet connectivity. There is a train carrying large e-mails leaves every day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 arlbb

The NSC Campus in Mahon is quite snazzy and pretty flexible for rental options - ie open plan desk space or private offices.
    www.nsc-campus.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Mort_Cork

Is DSL definitely available on the Ballincollig exchange?

I'll give them a ring tomorrow so there's no hurry on the reply.

Would be very interested in getting it as soon as the new pricing scheme comes into effect!

Does anyone know what kind of delay there is between actually applying for DSL and actually getting it all set up and ready to go?

Cheers

Mort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 arlbb

2-3 weeks with Eircom. 6-8 with ESAT.

Wireless Broadband recently arrived in Cork with the launch of Amocom Net.

www.amocom.com

synchronous upload/download speeds, priced in similar brackets to ADSL.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

DSL is available in Ballincollig, only by Eircom mind you.

• Advertisement

Cheers!

Does anyone have the link for the eircom online dsl test?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Originally posted by Mr.Taz
    DSL is available in Ballincollig, only by Eircom mind you.
    Where in Ballincollig is the question ... I am at one end of Ballincollig (city end, oldish estate) and a mate of mine is at the other end of Ballincollig (new estate) and neither of us passed the test ... there is not that much of a distance between us (2 1/2 - 3 miles at most)
    (we both get high 40's for modem speed ... so no split lines - not certain if that is a good indication of split lines though)
    I have never laid eyes on the exchange either ... anyone know where it is?

That's exactly my problem I'd imagine.
    I'm on the verge between the Ballincollig and Bishopstown exchanges.
    I'd imagine I'm well outside the distance limit.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

Bigeejit, I'm in the middle of both of yous and my neighbour passed. mwahaha. :p

Advertisement