Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The sauna/steamroom - the deal?

• 21-01-2003 8:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭

Calling Jak and/or Logic1 (Ye know ye're s**t)

Hey, i train in the gym 4 to 5 times a week and about 1 1/2 hours per night in the gym and have been training for about 16 months (mostly weights). Recently after the gym ive been going to the sauna and i find it great for relaxing, i stay about 15 - 20 minutes in there. Ive just started going to the steamroom too and its good for relaxing after the gym too.

Heres my question... Im using the sauna as i heard it was a great way to loose the belly (espesially since i hurt my ankle and am unable to run) I was just wondering if i will loose any of the muscle i have developed over the past 16 months or will I just loose fat. I also heard it was bad for you, more susceptable to colds, viruses etc. during the winter time? Is it good to do push ups/dips in the Sauna?

Whats the good the bad and the ugly about the Sauna and the steamroom? If its bad i want to stop it now before i get used to it.
    I dont want to sweat away all my hard work :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Jak

Im using the sauna as i heard it was a great way to loose the belly (espesially since i hurt my ankle and am unable to run) I was just wondering if i will loose any of the muscle i have developed over the past 16 months or will I just loose fat.

Don't worry about it, you will not lose any muscle, it is worth noting however that neither will you lose any weight that won't be replaced by a glass of water.

Saunas and steamrooms are great for relaxing, loosening up muscles, and good for your skin - that is about the whole of it.
    I also heard it was bad for you, more susceptable to colds, viruses etc. during the winter time?

That is kind of possible, just after training all our immune systems are down a bit which means we are prone to getting a cold, but just use common sense and you should be fine.
    Is it good to do push ups/dips in the Sauna?

On behalf of people training everywhere - NO.

Bottom line is they are leisure facilities. The only similar type thing apparently useful (probably conflicting research) after training are Ice baths - which I would like to try - just maybe in another country.

JAK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Thanks thats cleared that up :) Im surprised you say that you dont loose weight while in there, saw a guy I hadnt seen in a year the other day and he lost three stone he said, all from the sauna apparently. I believe you though now. Oh and dont knock the push ups in the sauna till youve tried it ;)

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭photty

I have read in Joe Friels Cyclists training bible that sauna is preferential to steam room when used as a recovery aid following a hard training session. Can't remember exactly why though..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

I usually use neither because I mostly don't have time but I also find em too hot.

Friend of mine is a boxer and when we were young if he had to lose weight before a fight he'd skip in the sauna.

Bit of a crazy thing to do and dangerous but good if u need to drop a pound or two.

Again as Jayk says it's purely cell water weight and will be replaced when you rehydrate.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,526 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So bringing a bottle of water in with you is a complete waste of time but skipping is all good ;) What about the steamroom, same thing right?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement