Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vroom Vroom! Or How a ministers driver got done for speeding.

Options
  • 21-01-2003 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0121/speeding.html

I'm not clear, but if money was paid to the "poor box"
    this was dealt with before penalty points came in, so why has it only emerged properly now?

Audio http://www.rte.ie/news/2003/0121/morningireland/morningireland4a.ram Amazing arrogance.

On point of particular interest, the driver was doing what he was told, he was acting under instruction. So if a driver in such circumstances breaks the law and picks up penalty points could he then sue his employer for working under duress. After all if the driver failed in his job, to get his boss to a meeting on time, would the TD be pleased.

No.

So whats a ministers driver to do?

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Vuk

IMO, I think the driver should stick to the law, unfortunately I believe if he had continuously done so, he would not be Mr. Treacy's driver for very long. Surely the TD would notice that his car was travelling in excess of the limit.(even without looking at the speedometer)
    The fact that he did instruct the driver that he was in a hurry seems to suggest that he wanted the driver to get to the Dail ASAP, regardless of the law. I mean if this guy is a professional (as stated by Mr. Treacy) surely he's not one of our drive at 40mph in a 60mph zone type motorist and being a professional can make most efficient use of our road network without breaking the law.
    I believe Mr. Treacy should be reprimanded also, though I doubt there's any law to support this.
    To answer your last question, If you want to be a ministers driver, you put up and shut with what your boss (the Minster) tells you to do, if you want to remain his driver that is.
    To ask a question of my own… Is this driver still in the employment of Mr. Treacy?
    Doing 95mph in a 60mph zone constitutes dangerous driving and keeping a dangerous driver in your employment and on our roads, makes a mockery of our efforts to cut down on road deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

He should have stayed under the speed limit.

Then if he was sacked, he'd have a legitimate claim to unfair dismissal, provided he could prove he was sacked for not breaking the law.

...in a perfect world, eh?

Luc

Advertisement