Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Under Rated Games

Options
  • 22-01-2003 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭

Thought I'd start a thread to see if people had any little gems that slipped under the radar either due to fitting having a ****e publisher, had a few niggly bugs that put the faint of heart off or just not fitting into the main stream enough to get any attention. Don't you hate when you've just finished a game that you loved and decide to have a quick look on the net to see what others thought of it only to discover rants on how ****e it was? Two games which suffered this sort of treatment would be Mafia and Giant: Citizen Kabuto. I'm sure there are loads of others but those two sorta spring to mind.

[edit]Forgot about Ico that game deserved a lot more press/sales[/edit]

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Supper Monkey Balls (GC)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

shadowrun (snes)

find it , play it and you'll love it

i love syndicate too in the same way, but that got the attention it deserved

also i thought body harvest on the n64 should have got more recognition

it really was a tremendous game , with so much to do and a massive completion time

erm, defenders of the oasis on the game gear, yes i know its old, but its a gem

*heads back to duck hunt- zapp*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

blast corps, now that was a fantastic game that nobody ever seems to remember.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

uplink, hmmm that reminds me...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

System shock 1 and 2 both bombed, which is a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

NBA 2K, NBA 2K1 best sports sims ever.

Even if you hate basketball as I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Shadowrun was excellent.

I dunno if you could call it under-rated, but I remember playing Alone in the Dark on the 3DO(!). It was my first move up from the megadrive et al, and I almost wet my knickers with glee at the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

MDK 1 and to a lesser extent MDK2.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Descent 1&2 were well underrated... I played them till my fingers bled.

Rune... killer game if you get past the first level. Still one of the most enjoyable games I've finished.

MDK...

Moonbase Commander!

Chaos on the Spectrum heheh

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭the corpo

ah, blastcorps

i used to obsess over that. very stupidly traded it years ago

cube update of that would be brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by DeVore
    I played them till my fingers bled.

t'was the summer of '69? ;)

I'd have to agree with you on Descent... although I played Forsaken a lot more (quite underrated in itself) which was in a similar vein but came out later... and featured a character called 'Beard' :)

Ah, forgot that one Dev, Rune, got it for a fiver in a bargain bin and played the first level. Once the boat sunk etc... I was addicted. Fantastic slash around. Bugged though, killed one of the main baddies 2 levels from the end and the game kept crashing, thankfully a level skip cheat later and I was back on track.

Great game all round. Bit shallow and a bit easy, but with several hundred other PC games at my disposal including the latest and greatest, it's unusual for me to drop everything and play a game like that to completion.

Worth a look on budget. I even prefered it to severance which was a similar game, and rated higher at the time.

Other good FPS's which bombed by the way, AvP2 didn't do the business neither did Undying. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Brerrabbit

Toy Commander for the ill-fated dreamcast was one of if not the best games I have ever played. Single and multi player wereabsolutely flawless; Fighting a Giant Godzilla toy from a dinky helicopter or kamikazying toy boats in a bathtub... Classic stuff. If you have a deamcast try your best to get your hands on this game (Although it might prove a bit difficult to obtain)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Micro Machines.

On the Amiga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭festivala

Mystical Ninja on the n64

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Hover on the Windows 95 cd ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Originally posted by Sico
    kyodai mahjongg

my mum loves that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Harvest Moon
    Body Harvest

Interesting to note that both are possibly the only games ever to have "Harvest" in the title.* It's obviously some sort of conspiracy.

*Feel free to correct me, googlers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Soul Harvest was an unreal tourney mutator can't actually find any active links to it but I remember the name. Not really a game I suppose, oh google you've failed me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'm playing a game now called Gothic.
    And I have to say, best damn game I've played since Deus Ex!
    Everyone, I URGE you to get this game, it is TRULY awesome!

I think Shinji mentioned something about it being the worst selling game in the UK...
    So that'll tell you how under-rated it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Crazy Pinball on the megadrive was the most addictive game ever and Feud on the Speccy. Banjax on the BBC was a blast too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

hugo's adventures (DOS).
    Enduro racer (zx spectrum)

I've noticed old games seem to be much better than their newer counterparts. Newer games rely way too much on fancy graphics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

super cars 2 on the amiga, it was a top down racer which you could power slide around the corners, so much fun :) you raced for money to buy new cars,where you had to haggle with the car sales dealer via multiple chose answers, gran turismo ripped this game off so much

SuperCars2.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by NekkidBibleMan
    Harvest Moon
    Body Harvest
    I thought harvest moon was oevr rated, sold like hotcakes in my area, couldnt get it for 6months+ after release coz it was sold out, eventually got it on emulator............ less than 6months ago, didnt even think it was that good.
    Body harvest though I loved to bits, best viechle engine seen since carmageddon (the game was mediocre, but the engine was great), pity no-one else had played it :(

mmmm gothic. Morrowind lite with plenty of hack slashy action.

Have to say, bought it for a fiver new, and loved it. Saw the lukewarm review PCZone gave it, but wanted it anyway. Good graphics, huge map, flowing environments and world. Its not just a game, it's almost and experience in the same way morrowind was.

Really looking forward to Gothic 2 this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

Codename Eagle- Best LAN gaming i had
    Reaction quake 3- Awsome addon if you can get the numbers
    World War 2 online- Best online game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭Thorbar

Originally posted by Myg

World War 2 online- Best online game
    LoL tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Myg

Im a fanboy :p

Q1: have you ever played it?
    Q2: What version did you play?
    Q3: What is your main complaint?

• Advertisement

Clive Barkers Undying. I spent nine months trying to get a copy and every where I asked had never heard of it. A class game but loadings time were a problem. It seems they had their eyes on a sequel from the way it ends but the fact that it was the fifth worst selling game in England ever put a stop to that.

Advertisement