Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS2 - who got one on Friday?

Options
  • 27-11-2000 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭

The poor soul....

glassesprv.gif
    Sweeet

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Gunn4r

-=Starting Q_Ball Translation Script=-

'I am jealous' ;-)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The brother did - OM NYOM NYOM! smile.gif

All the best,
    kharn_sig.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Anyone desperate for one before Xmas? I have a PAL PS2 guaranteed for pre-Christmas delivery, have some offers on it already, but I'll do it for £520 (punts) - ie about 400 quid sterling. Mail me if interested...

(Yes, I'm selling because I think they're rubbish... :P )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Nitro-G

Have a look at these off ebid (amounts are amounts offered already)

Playstation2 PS2 (Japanese)+2 Dual Shock controllers+4 games
    Item #: 546957
    Description: Playstation2 PS2 (Japanese Version ie. full speed and full screen)+ 2 Dual Shock controllers and four games. Ridge Racer 5, Dead or Alive 2, FIFA 2000, SSX - Snowboard Supercross. Includes 2 controllers, 8MB memory card, transformer and all leads. This machine will only play JAP games(easy to get off the net), but will play any region DVD. All boxed and in mint condition. Dublin area, can deliver anywhere

- £400!

PLAYSTATION 2 UK PS2, Tekken Tag & SSXSnowboarding
    Item #: 547548
    Description: Playstation 2. PAL UK model. Brand new. Unopened. Full warranty. With 2 top games - Tekken Tag Tournament and SSX Snowboarding. Limerick area.

- £700!

Sony Playstation 2
    Item #: 547856
    Description: Didn't get a ps2 cause everybody else preordered! Don't worry i have one to spare brand new and unopened. Delivery in the dublin area.

- £455!

Playstation 2 (Irish Model)
    Item #: 547895
    Description: Genuine Irish model Playstaion 2 It is brand new in a box and never opened would make an ideal christmas present to yourself or someone else. The shops will have none left before Christmas so avoid dissapointment while you still can!

- £600!

PS2 for £1000, no offers though

PLAYSTATION 2 CONSOLE
    Item #: 547966
    Description: Brand new still in box, unwanted gift. mUch sought after. make great Chrissie pressie. Bray Area - must be collected.

- £410

Fargo Boyle, the money people are willing to pay for these ****ing things...

Jamie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

ps2upgradekit.jpg

• Advertisement

That, Sico, is why I am selling smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Originally posted by Gunn4r:
    -=Starting Q_Ball Translation Script=-

'I am jealous' ;-)

Hehe not likely, i wub my dreamcast and i'm with shinji on this one wink.gif

glassesprv.gif
    Sweeet

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well - I wuv my DC too!!! Been playing the Mission stuff on Soul Calibur all night for the last 2 nights - I'm fkin' shagged tired, but I know I'll be doing it all again tonight!!! smile.gif

I think it's cool that Garret (my bro) got a DVD player for the house, that's all wink.gif

All the best,
    kharn_sig.gif

Albeit a DVD player that has compatability problems with a number of discs, and won't output RGB (the high-end standard that every other DVD player uses; net result is that if your telly supports RGB, which all good TVs do, you'll have fun and games making it work with PS2 DVD playback over SCART...).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭THE SPERMINATOR

HAHAHA

Makes me laugh went into our local shop just to see if they had any they did but the guy behind the counter said ive got some out back in a tone of voice that said what you willing to pay !!!! then he followed up with and im getting more next week.My reply na thanx ill wait till sometime early next year when all the faults are discovered and theres a few more games about. Besides lets see what xbox has in store 160 games developers on board so far including namco and most of the psx games makers.o well ill just have to make do with my 1.2 ghz thunderbird and k7 motherboard and 256mb of ram for the time being lifes a ***** hehehe. biggrin.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

PS2 is the first mainstream console since the SNES that I haven't bought at launch. The reason? Can someone show me a PS2 game worth spending £450 or so to play it?
    (and before some spanner inevitably tries to correct that price, it's £380 (PS2) + £45 or so (game) + £25 or so (essential memory card)

Did u hear the news?
    From Thanks to IGN

In a press release issued today, Sony Computer Entertainment announced that it will be releasing a new version of the PS2 to the Japanese market, the SCPH-18000 (as opposed to the original SCPH-10000). The new version seems as though it will be identical to the original version, with exception to the area of DVD playback

You can find the whole story here

So all ye that paid your £370 for your brand new, bog-standard machines can thank sony for ripping you off when it gets released over here (and it will and u KNOW it will
    > ) <

/me has l33t b0ld t3xt sk1llz
    /me laffs cos me has to edit this coz of 1 missing bracket

glassesprv.gif
    Sweeet

[This message has been edited by Q_Ball (edited 29-11-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Ok , for a start i'd love to know where all these rumours of bugs (no pun) are coming from , i own a 10000 series and have used the new PAL 30003 series, scart outputs on both with no problems , i have yet to find DVD problems with my own and i have a fairly large selection.
    People has been complaining you can't pause it???? what ?
    Some twit said he wasn't buying one irregardless of price until there was at least another model brought out cos the first ones "always" have problems, the irish one is the 3rd model!, 10000, 15000, 30003

Most are best waiting till after chrimbo when ZOE or MGS2 are released as unless you're got a want for some of the better jap games that are released in the coming weeks , it aint got that wide an appeal.
    As far as the DC goes , getting one but it will be dead by summer , its unfortunet but inevitable really, sega has bugger all money.

Erm, the bugs aren't "rumours", they exist. DVD playback over RGB simply doesn't work on the 30003 - which is inexcusable really, given that it's fine on the 10000 series! A number of DVDs simply WON'T play back at all, either. Not really on for a £300 DVD player, now is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Dreamcasts are only 150 quid? Christ I might buy one, and check out that shenumeee thingy. Much are the games?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Actually /. did a review of DC vs PS2 and apprantly the PS2 stats are pretty lacking.

Originally posted by Greenbean:
    Dreamcasts are only 150 quid? Christ I might buy one, and check out that shenumeee thingy. Much are the games?

Cheaper than the PS2 ones wink.gif

They usually range from about £35 - £45 but you can get package deals in some places. Game are offering some kick-áss deals with the DC at the mo, you should check them out smile.gif

glassesprv.gif
    Sweeet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

1 - PS2 is crap
    2 - it will be bought by unsuspecting poor casual gamers who want it cos it has a 2 after the playstation
    3 - sony lose £200 for every ps2 sold
    4 - the dreamcast kicks ass and deserves to be the market leader power is nohing if the games dont come up to scratch how many seqeuls did sony have in the ps2 launch line up???

Draffodx
    Out of desparition courage is born

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

well I just buy whatevers cheapest and coolest smile.gif, no real loyalty. But the whole PS2 hype thing seems really cynical (on sony's part) and pointless. A friend of mine was queing in the freezing cold at 6am for a PS2; bit much for an overpriced console and 2 rehashed launch titles (tekken tag and rr5).

By the way, notice how most of the launch titles are sequels with little to offer but improved graphics?

Won't refute anyones problems , but i only used one PAL machine and it ran on RGB , and didn't "seem" to give any problems with DVD.

As far as 200 quid loss on sony's part , hahaha oh dear , if they lost that much there wouldn't be a point.
    I'm fairly sure its in the 30 - 50 dollar range

• Advertisement

$270 loss actually. They need to sell a LOT of software to make it back. Sony made some REALLY bad decisions regarding hardware spec; the PS2 uses RAMBUS, which costs a fortune and looks likely to become even rarer and more expensive as DDR RAM squeezes it out of the market, and the Emotion Engine has proven to be an expensive bast of a chip to produce. They expected RAMBUS to have fallen through the floor by the time the PS2 got anywhere; in fact, it's become slightly MORE expensive, and accounts for well over $150 in itself.

I'd still like to see some sort of proof that they lose this much , i know the whole buying machines with software was compulsary in the US , and yes the hardware they designed is expensive.

From what i've heard they're going for all out indepance from third party hardware developers , the memory card for example , that magicgate ram is supposed to be damn hard to replicate , there currently aren't any working third party cards and 40 quid a card , ouch.

Advertisement