Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your surname in irish?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Rhedyn

cats.life wrote: »
    BREATHNEACH...maire

It is not the usual spelling. But I don't think it is wrong either. It's ok as long as the caol le caol rule is kept. Same way Flatharta can also be spelt as Flaithearta.

But AFAIK in the Caighdeanach the woman's name has the lenition. Máire Bhreathnach. But usually (at least in my experience) the H isn't pronounced in this name.

Amz wrote: »
    Ní Fhlatharta

Or

Ní Flaithbheartaigh

Flaherty...

Apparently means the blonde/fair haired prince

Originated in Galway, over the ancient gates of Galway it says "From the ferocious O'Flahertys deliver us"

hehe! apparently we "were" a very aggressive bunch altogether!

Up the Flahertys !

agus Muintir Mhic Dhonnchadha Abú freisin !

I'm both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Rhedyn wrote: »
    ... But AFAIK in the Caighdeanach the woman's name has the lenition. Máire Bhreathnach. But usually (at least in my experience) the H isn't pronounced in this name.

It's a point that is missed by many people who have learned Irish as a second language: the name is essentially an adjective, and follows the agreement rules for adjectives. You might also have muintir Bhreathnach.

I think our shrinking band of native speakers generally get it right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

Would anybody be able to tell me what the surname Dolphin would be as gaeilge?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Rhedyn wrote: »
    It is not the usual spelling. But I don't think it is wrong either. It's ok as long as the caol le caol rule is kept. Same way Flatharta can also be spelt as Flaithearta.

But AFAIK in the Caighdeanach the woman's name has the lenition. Máire Bhreathnach. But usually (at least in my experience) the H isn't pronounced in this name.

BREATHNEACH breaks the coal le caol, leathan le leathan rule though.

You've got a A before the THN consonant cluster and a E after. If you have vowels on both sides of consonants they have to be both broad or both slender. You can't have a broad vowel <-> consonants <-> slender vowel

• Advertisement

dubhthach wrote: »
    BREATHNEACH breaks the coal le caol, leathan le leathan rule though.

You've got a A before the THN consonant cluster and a E after. If you have vowels on both sides of consonants they have to be both broad or both slender. You can't have a broad vowel <-> consonants <-> slender vowel

Sorry, you are right Dubhthach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Gileadi wrote: »
    Would anybody be able to tell me what the surname Dolphin would be as gaeilge?

Doilfín.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Seeing as Welsh, English & Norman names have been translated into Irish over the centuries, will Polish, Chinese, Lithuanian names also be translated into Irish in the coming decades ??

LordSutch wrote: »
    Seeing as Welsh, English & Norman names have been translated into Irish over the centuries, will Polish, Chinese, Lithuanian names also be translated into Irish in the coming decades ??

Dont see that happening. When the foreign names you mentioned came here they integrated into a largely Irish-speaking society. That's not the case today and I cant see new immigrants translating their names in the coming decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭lorweld

Dont see that happening. When the foreign names you mentioned came here they integrated into a largely Irish-speaking society. That's not the case today and I cant see new immigrants translating their names in the coming decades.
    I wonder what they are doing in primary schools for roll calls etc? Or are the roll calls even done through Irish anymore?

• Advertisement

lorweld wrote: »
    I wonder what they are doing in primary schools for roll calls etc? Or are the roll calls even done through Irish anymore?

I doubt it. Today non-Gaelic street-names are left as they are, e.g. Wolfe Tone Street is just Sráid Wolfe Tone. There was a time when it was written as Sraid Ualf Teón !! The same with Wellington, Wolseley, Montpelier etc. In schools, foreign names wolud be best left alone, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭lenoude

Mag Nuad - Gonoude
    Either way its very annoying when people constantly ask how to spell it ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

lenoude wrote: »
    Mag Nuad - Gonoude
    Either way its very annoying when people constantly ask how to spell it ha

you could just say I'm the "Son of the god Nuadha" ;) (mag == mac)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭mr_november

An bhfuil a fhios ag éinne conas a litrítear an leagan Ghaeilge ar 'Davitt'? Dáibhéid nó Daibhéid?

Táim ag smaoineamh ar ainm chlub iománaíochta agus táim cinnte nach bhfuil an litriú a n-úsáideann siad ceart. An bhfuil a fhios ag éinne conas a chuirfeadh tú Gaeilge ar 'Davitts'? :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

An bhfuil a fhios ag éinne conas a litrítear an leagan Ghaeilge ar 'Davitt'? Dáibhéid nó Daibhéid?

Táim ag smaoineamh ar ainm chlub iománaíochta agus táim cinnte nach bhfuil an litriú a n-úsáideann siad ceart. An bhfuil a fhios ag éinne conas a chuirfeadh tú Gaeilge ar 'Davitts'? :cool:

Mar a scríobhtear sna leabhair "An Sloinnteoir Gaeilge agus An tAinmneoir" agus "Sloinnte Uile Éireann":

Davitt = Mac Daibhéid

B'fhéidir go n-úsáidtear "Club Iománaíochta Mhic Daibhéid" ach nílim cinnte go h-iomlán faoi sin,agus mar sin féach ar freagraí eile,ar eagla na h-eagla.

Siúl leat, siúl leat, le dóchas i do chroí, is ní shiúlfaidh tú i d'aonar go deo.

Advertisement