Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I love Whelans...BUT...

Options
  • 22-01-2003 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Help me!Ok I love Whelans but you know the point where the novelty wears off?When you still love going to gigs there but you are sick of the late Friday and Saturday nights?Are there any other clubs in Dublin that play good rock and roll music?Whelans is still a great night out but variety is indeed the spice of life...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

the isacc butts is said yo be good, i've been there one before and i liked it.... but whelans will always hold a special place in my heart

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

hellooooooo!

yeah theres loads
    helter shelter, in the TBMC once a month

stay beautiful, on this friday,in the temple i think, there's a thread aabout it somewhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

yeah,stay beautiful should rule.

fibbers is always good too; but-as you said-the novelty wears off...but not as fast as it does in whelan's.

at least fibbers has variety of heavy music...punk version of "hotel california"is most cool

stay beautiful is good;cos its probably not going to be a frequent,monotonous thing - infrequent,weird and rawkus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

ive never actually been there but ive heard the da 2 is good?...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Al Higgins

I know what you mean about Whelans.It does seem sometimes as is there is a cetain lack of imagination re the music etc.
    e.g. Me and some of my friends can usually guess 2 times out of 3 on what the next song is going to be..Violent Femmes,Breeders,Nirvana and the Frames!(sound familiar?)

I've nothing against this I like most of the music they play I just wish they would play a bit more variation.

Dublin needs a good<dare I say Indie?> club where you know you are going to hear cool new tunes.

Anyone agree with me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

al higgins - go to helter shelter once a month(normally last friday or saturday) in the TBMC..probably the best alternative club in dublin (no doubt the goths from The Temple will disagree but....)

whelans is cack as the setlist has been way too predictable for years...they should just put on a tape...why bother paying a dj.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

I've never been to this 'Whelans' place, i'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Gar_ptc

you joking?!i thought you would have even played there.

i was at helter shelter once and it was diabolically boring.it drained me.

whelans is toleratable -if visited infrequently and pissed of ones skull- but HS bored me to the point of wanting to slaughter all the boring patrons who seemed to be fashionably alternative

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭beretta

whelans is great, but in moderation. i went there almost every week for a while, and ended up almost hating the place. i've avoided it successfully for ages now, and the craving to return is creeping back. hurrah. i sort of miss the place, in a god-this-place-is-full-of-drunken-memories kind of way. i will be there for phantasm either next week or the week after, making goo goo eyes at sinister pete so he'll play me some alice cooper or ac/dc. alternately, if tom e brown is dj-ing, i'll be either (a) complaining about his choice of music for the entire night -- very likely-- or (b) passing him silly notes. hah.

as far as other places go, helter shelter is fantastic. i went, i danced, i loved. oh, it was a passionate one-night stand i had with helter shelter... i shall definitely return, circumstances permitting. i've not been to either of the clubs in the isaac butt, just because i don't really like that place too much, but i hear spirit is pretty good fun (har).

sigh. this is lengthy. see you in cairo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 catch urself on

So happy to see people actually agree with me that Whelans is as predictable as a script from 'murder she wrote'. Sometimes theres a fierce smell of early nineties off it!!!

Isaac butts can sometimes fall into the same trap, I've only been there afew times and while I've had a good laugh, each time some ****os outside started fights with people leaving it.

Death Disco when it was in Dorans was defo my fav - I'm hoping it'll return there soon. Pure debauchary to great music - some you've heard, some you havent (which I think makes a good club).
    I know its in Whelans at the end of the month - I'm still debating whether to go.

Thats my twopence anywho.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Niall S.

I am probably going to get some backlash for this, but the Papa Lazarou club in Voodoo was very good.
    I used to DJ in there with Fintan Brunkard, and you could request what ever you wanted, if we had it, it would be played.
    I also played alot of Irish Underground Bands, like Pinion, Skyjack, Popstar, Polar, Oz, etc, etc, etc.
    It would never be the same set, as we always brought different CD's to cater for the type of bands that played on the night, due to the crowd being on the most part, people that came to see the bands and stayed on for the DJ set.
    So for example if x constant played that night, I brought all of my Metal CD's which I have quite a large stock of, and if a band like Ginseng played that night then I brought, my Dave Matthews, Live, David Gray type of CD's with me.
    I would like to think that we had something for everyone, and another bad factor of Whelans, is that its vertually impossible to get a taxi home, I have never been waiting any longer than 3 minutes for a taxi from Voodoo.
    I think that Voodoo makes a better Club Atmosphere, but for the gigs you can't beat Whelans.
    I will be starting a DJ set in the Music Center pretty soon, which will be somewhat similar to Papa Lazarou, so if you are in a band then if you get me a copy of your Demo, then I will play it for you.
    If you want to ever have a go at the spinning of the Decks, then bring in some CD's and I will let you have a gander, so long as you don't get me into any trouble.
    Or even just bring whatever CD you want played, at the end of the day, the Music is spose to amuze you, so you should have a choice of what is played.

Regards.

Niall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 azrial

Thanks guys, I will check them all out. And I will definitely go along to Stay Beautifulon Friday night...sounds like it is worth checking out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nanuna

Yea whelans is cool but can become boring, Fibbers is good music on a mon and tues but feck all people are out then. I thought Da 2 was closing for renovations.

Is that Donnie Darko, or Donnie Brasco??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

Originally posted by Gar_ptc
    you joking?!i thought you would have even played there.

i

sarcasm. me. using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭threefour

Whelans is legendary, but if you go week after week, it can become montonous, but sure thats the same as any place. As for other places, i suggest the basement of The Oak/Thomas Reads on Dame Street. Brilliant music,decent djs and good atmosphere. There is few seats but dance/mosh/lean-against-a-wall and you'll be okay.

Gar_ptc and eyeliner - I suppose it all depends wot you tink is boring in a club...Helter shelter have been playing a lot of the bands you mention in your promo for Stay beautiful since it opened....Numan, Cure, Soft cell, Stranglers, Human league..i've heard em all (and danced to em all) in HS many times. And we're not talking about Tainted Love, Dont you want me, no more heros and the Lovecats...Sex Dwarf, Lebanon, Peaches and a forest is more their style..

Your club sounds very alternative "80's" orientated, which is brilliant but in my opinion HS is trying to appeal to a wider audience. You cant compare the two.

Dont get me wrong, alternative 80's is definitely my thing and always has been, but to be honest I don't mind that HS dj's dont play that type of music all night. It's always a good night regardless, fuelled by booze and idiotic dancing...

I do however long for the days of Bartley Dunnes, The catherderal Club, and the Olympic (pre the mid 90's raves)...now that was origianl alternative 80's...jesus i'm old..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

McGonagles!!!
    Now there was a pure class club :D

i'm gonna defend helter shelter too, theyve played all the stuff you advertised (though maybe not on the same night) but they were the first club i heard playing somehting that wasnt how soon is now by the smiths! i'm sure it has the occasional bad night though, just like any club.

im really looking forward to stay beauitful. i hope there will be some manics played at it, theyre very dancable to, weith the right crowd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭o sleep

but isn't tonight the first night of stay beautiful? so how could eyeliner boy claim that stay beautiful is better than helter shelter? i mean, he could claim it WILL be better, but even then, it's not a definite (especially when you take into account the bands he listed in the promo for it).

most of my friends who've been to helter shelter have loved it, although like the drowner says, it can have its 'off' nights, and sometimes veers to close to whelans-esque songs (but this is all hearsay ... bcos i haven't actually been yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Gary D

Doyles ON FLEET STREET JUST ACROSS FROM WHERE THE NITELINK IS USUALLY GOOD ON A FRI OR SAT AND NOT TO MENTION FREE!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 helenloves

Yeah, I agree Drowner. But how come there aren't any clubs that play M. Manson and the like. I'd like to see a club that went out on a limb a bit. I want to see something different, with a bit of imagination. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭threefour

As i said earlier the basement of The Oak/Thomas reads. Its brilliant and the DJ will play whatever you ask generally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Originally posted by threefour
    As i said earlier the basement of The Oak/Thomas reads. Its brilliant and the DJ will play whatever you ask generally.

Ssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! We don't want ppl to know!

Quiet you! ;)

yep three four...downstairs in the oak has been great for years...Frazer is the dj. he will play whatever you ask coz he's not trying to fill a dancefloor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Hmmm Helter Shelter, the music is good granted, but the Music Centre is just devoid of any atmosphere!!!

Originally posted by helenloves
    Yeah, I agree Drowner. But how come there aren't any clubs that play M. Manson and the like. I'd like to see a club that went out on a limb a bit. I want to see something different, with a bit of imagination. :rolleyes:

you mean youve never been to fibbers????

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The Temple Bar Music centre makes a good venue for a concert but not a good club.I think its probably because the bar is seperate from the music.
    The oak is indee great.Music is in the same vein as Whelans but they've weeded out the sh!te and they'll play whatever you ask for whereas in Whelans I was greeted by sum bouncer guy who is the D.J.s "earthly representative".
    The Oak is best.Still need to get to fibbers though I've heard it's good.Whelans is overrated.

Dregin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

The Cobblestone Bar beside Smithfield has a nice venue upstairs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Crikey, yeah, Fibbers......whatever happened there? I remember when I was in college...er..way back when in Athlone and even down there people used to be rabbitting on about fibbers, then I went myself and I loved the place.

I don't like Whelans for many reasons, not least of these being the way they treat you as a drunken troublemaker before you even get in the door, and frequently, when I go there, I'm driving so I wouldn't have drank anything.....then there's the rudeness factor which is quite high....on the phubcrawl I paid in, THEN was refused admission. The guy on the door refused to look at my I.D (a compliment in a way, I suppose) and refused to give me my money back. It took 15 minutes of persuading for him to let me in, then he had a fight with the girl on the door over whether I'd paid in or not.....but I digress......

Fibbers is pretty good, I tend to enjoy the music there but I think the reason most people don't go there is the trek back down O'Connell St, which is not the nicest place to be at that hour. Plus, the Guinness in there is very, very bad.

The Oak is okay, but its more of a pub atmosphere, and it seems to be standing room only......another reason why I don't particularly like Whelans.

I do like the TBMC though, not least cos its like my second home at this stage. Have yet to experience Helter Shelter though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement