Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

arms again

• 22-01-2003 7:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭

Hiya,

Basically i have rather skinny arms and would like to make em larger. I watch unhealthy amounts of tv per day (like two hours) so im just wondering if there are any small excercises that ye'd recommend i could be doing while watching tv? I was thinking of something along the lines of possibly dumbells etc? I know a gym would be the best thing to do but im hoping some combination of pushups / other stuff at home would be an easier/cheaper alternative :)

ta :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Rich, my advice for you would not be to excercise while watching TV. Set yourself a daily routine and stick to it.

Try:
    100 Press-ups
    50 Tricep Dips

to start off with.

It is not essential for you to do them all in a row but try your best to acheive as many as you can. Maybe for the pressups 5x 20 or something.

Also eat like a horse. Carbohydrate before work out, protein after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Neil3030
    Rich, my advice for you would not be to excercise while watching TV. Set yourself a daily routine and stick to it.

Try:
    100 Press-ups
    50 Tricep Dips

Rich my advice to you would be to try nowhere near this many. If you haven't exercised in a while then try maybe 20 pressups and don't even go near tricep dips.

If you find you can do 20 easily then try 25. Do however many you're comfortable with for a week then step up 5 more for the next week.

After you can do 30 or so pressups it's only endurance. It's not going to give you more muscle mass.

Best thing for mass is weight lifting.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭Runfree

Originally posted by Neil3030

Try:
    100 Press-ups
    50 Tricep Dips

to start off with.

What are you trying to do??? Kill poor Rich?? :) You have to build into a routine otherwise you wont last a week. Like logic said start with 20-25 a day and if you find it getting comfortable then step up.

You could always just go to the gym maybe even once or twice a week seeming you do watch alot of tv you seem to have plenty of free time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Most gyms have a few tv's in them anyway'z so you can have a workout and still catch your fav show, altho its a bit hard when there's dance music goin full wallop i suppose!

When i go down the gym on a friday around half 6 theres usually no one down there which can be quite cool.

Farlz

Which Gmy is this Farls?

/me likes the idea of noone being there to laugh at him:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Oke - ta. Was doing 30-50 pushups anyway, more interested in the dumbell / other hand held weights(?) side of things. Any recommended starting weights? How often should they get heavier etc? Any recommended retailers?

Going to the gym isnt really an option - I know even if i tell myself that ill get around to it ill just end up only going once a week or so, plus the only ones near to me are sort of awkward to get to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I have just started back onto the dumbells. Its been a while since I last lifted wights so im starting off slowly. I have 2 bog standard 5kg dumbells. I've started with the following.

20 lifts each arm (standing up lifting weight from waist to shoulder.)
    10 press ups
    20 lifts again each arm
    10-15 press ups
    15 lifts from shoulder above head.

repeating above twice. It takes about 15-20 mins and i can really feel it working during and when i wake up the next morning :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

First, get a set of dumbells,Argos or anywhere handy.Get ones with detachable plates,not fixed vinyl stuff.Get them heavier than u need,you need room to grow.Then you do a test1You need to find your one rep. maximum bicep curl.Find the weight you can lift ONCE.This is your 1 rep max.Work with 60-80% of this weight in the 15 rep max range.If you can do more than 15 reps yourtoo light.Every month try another 1 rep test.If you can lift more once,up your working weight.
    Also,you upper arm size is two thirds tricep and one third bicep,so don't neglaect your bigger muscle!Put on a stone weight thru bicep curls = Impossible! That kind of gain thru your back and thighs is do-able.And if you can squat/row/bench big weight,your arms have to grow too to lift and handle the weight you train with.
    No weights handy once your able to do press-ups,do them with feet elevated,legs on a chair and hands on two more chairs,hands together(close grip),hands double shoulder width,explosive (lift off and clap Marine Style),one armed,one armed explosive,Bisto style (explosive but legs off the ground too,one of our martial arts instructors held that if only your hands came off,you only did half a press up).Explosive press ups are heading towards plyometrics so be careful with them!

Not forgetting the old knuckle pressups

Dems de pain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

I use a gym up in Letterkenny, top of donegal where i goto college so i doubt if it would be of much use to anyone here!

Farlz

• Advertisement

Ah well, thanks nehoo.

Originally posted by Chief---
    I have just started back onto the dumbells. Its been a while since I last lifted wights so im starting off slowly. I have 2 bog standard 5kg dumbells. I've started with the following.

20 lifts each arm (standing up lifting weight from waist to shoulder.)
    10 press ups
    20 lifts again each arm
    10-15 press ups
    15 lifts from shoulder above head.

repeating above twice. It takes about 15-20 mins and i can really feel it working during and when i wake up the next morning :(

Its been 3 weeks since i started back onto the dumbells. I have now increased the weight from 5kg to 9kg and the reps to 30 with 20 press ups.

Already i can see a visible difference and have put on about 1/2 a stone.

Before starting the above i could barely manage 10 pressups. Now I can do 20 without even straining myself. Im pretty sure that I am only working on my biceps at the moment. Anybody know good exercise techniques using dumbells that work on the triceps area.

Chief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Overhead tricep extension and kickbacks would be suited to the dumbell weights you have.

.logic.

In laymans terms please :) . Im afrid I only understand the likes of, start with the dumbell about level.....blah blah and lift to...blah blah.

Chief.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Clap pressups are good for getting strong. If you're doing weights it's best to stand up and lift them all the way over your head, get as many muscels working as possible. And do sit ups aswell. Plus if you cant do too many press-ups you could do 20, take a break and then do 20 more etc.. And remember no pain no gain :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Can anyone explain\provide link to tricep dips?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭[Iramus]

Originally posted by Farls
    I use a gym up in Letterkenny, top of donegal where i goto college so i doubt if it would be of much use to anyone here!

!!!?! Wheres the gym in letterkenny? You must be in LIT. I havent been there in a while but i mite be livin there in the summer. It'd be good to know where the gym is cos i plan to work out alot this summer (before me hols)

Advertisement