Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 98SE -> 2000 Should I bother?

• 22-01-2003 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭

Hello,
    I've got a 5 year old pc..
    here's the spec:

333MHz PII,
    192MB 66mhz ram,
    120GB WD HDD

I'm wondering, would an upgrade to Windows 2000 or XP be of any benefit to me?
    I'm more inclined to go for 2000 because I found XP very slow when testing it on a 1GHZ Celeron PC a few months ago.
    Or maybe I should just stick with what I've got (98SE)..
    It's crashes sometimes when I have alot of stuff open but seems alright.

Let me know your opinions..
    Upgrading Mobo/PSU/CPU to 2.53GHz in June but for the moment stuck with what i've got

Thanks,
    David

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

I would happily do so

win2000 , if launched from CD WHILE 98 is running, will either upgrade or new install.

therefore you could parallel run it with 98 for a while and make your own mind up before you edit the 98 line out of c:\boot.ini and delete the c:\windows directory

I think w2k was the best OS, XP looks like Teletubby Dreamland to me ...yuk.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

IMO 2000 is the best windows release to date. Make sure you get all the patches ect. It beats XP!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

well upgrading the os is normally a good idea in your case though u reallly need to get more memory.
    Win2K needs a min of 128 MB(MS says 64MB but it crawls at that)
    in reality u need 256MB+

u should really upgrade your processor as well

an old 333Mhz doesn't really cut it these day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

yep, 2000 professional is the best Microsoft system out there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Upgrade

And the first thing to do after is turn off the mouse shadow (control panel->mouse, untick box) - makes a bigger difference than turning off the menu effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

It'll be like you bought a new PC :)
    I think everyone will testify to it.

--
    XP is prolly my new fav though - No probs to report in over a year :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭Dawg

I'd definately upgrade. Have to say I now prefer XP Pro to 2K. Once u turn off all the windows effects and the toytown theme its an incredably stable system and hasn't given me any grief. You need to feed it with memory tho - 256 minimum, more if you can buts its pretty cheap these days anyway.

Whichever u choose the upgrade will b worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Dun

Originally posted by Lenny
    yes yes yes yes yes yes yes!

Ditto!

But I'd do a clean install rather than an upgrade - I know it's more hassle, but it's a lot better in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Ok im a 100% 2k man, XP can ask me b....ks

BUT, if you run a lot of dos-based games, i duno....doom? quake 1 , duke nukem (ye get the idea) one they wont work with 2k!!!

Otherwise, backup all yourstuff. clean insall 2k with ntfs and read some articles on the net regarding what servcies to switch off etc etc. your comp will well be able to run it 128Mb is okay it you dont run too many apps, so 196 is fine.

what you waiting for? do it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

erm , ye can make it up as ye go along. the obvious ones would be telenet, smartcard and all that ****e.

i think sisoft sandra tells ye what ye can drop too.

a yahoo search should cure what ails ye!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I'm looking for a P2 333MHz, check your PM's. I have a PC that I can "upgrade" to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,458 ✭✭✭Gerry

Originally posted by SouperComputer
    Ok im a 100% 2k man, XP can ask me b....ks

BUT, if you run a lot of dos-based games, i duno....doom? quake 1 , duke nukem (ye get the idea) one they wont work with 2k!!!

heh, nobody plays dos quake any more. Doom works fine for me in win2k, and glquakeworld obviously works.

Advertisement