Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem talking to Xerox printer

Options
  • 22-01-2003 11:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

Xerox printer (Phaser 7700DN, SRA3 colour laser) connected via a straight through piece of cat5 to a pc (win2k) beside it.

This setup has worked perfectly for about a year, but in the last two weeks it's giving trouble, unable to connect to the printer.

I went in to fix it, and found the LAN connection disabled. Not disconnected, but disabled. Re-enabled it, and it worked fine.
    A couple of days later, it happened again, lan connection disabled. I swapped the network card, and it happened once more the next day.

I'm changing the cable tomorrow.

Does anyone have any experience with a problem like this? What else could it be, other than the cable? I'd like to think it isn't the printer, because I'd expect a €16,000+ beast like that to be a bit more reliable...

Ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

The helpdesk is in Ballycoolin Ireland.
    Maybe they'd even send you out an engineer.
    Also did you check the Duplex settings?
    PC and printer should be set to 100Mbits Full Duplex.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

replace the cable phaxx.

easiest and most direct way to eliminate one variable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Replaced the cable, same trouble. I did a lot of fiddling around with the printer driver and the network config on both machines, got them reliably talking again.

Also reinstalled PageMaker (disgusting app in my opinion) and that fixed another printing related problem.

All seems fine now... dunno what I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by bricks
    The helpdesk is in Ballycoolin Ireland.
    Maybe they'd even send you out an engineer.

LOL! You've got to be kidding. I worked for Xerox for two years and getting an engineer out in Ireland is like getting blood out of a stone, and when one is dispatched, they usually take a week to get to you, and replace every part they can because they don't know what they're doing, or just walk off the job saying they've never seen that model of printer before.

Absolutely AWFUL service. Which is a pity as Phaser printers are pretty sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Oh, we got an engineer out of them alright! (different problem)

Two, in fact. One came down, looked at it, printed a few test sheets, went back to the office. We heard nothing for two weeks. Called again and screamed blue murder, and they sent another, who actually fixed whatever was wrong. (the next day) Nice guy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by phaxx
    Oh, we got an engineer out of them alright! (different problem)

Two, in fact. One came down, looked at it, printed a few test sheets, went back to the office. We heard nothing for two weeks. Called again and screamed blue murder, and they sent another, who actually fixed whatever was wrong. (the next day) Nice guy though.

Doubt he was heading back to a xerox office, all their engineers are outsourced, that's why they're so rubbish because they don't have the training..

Advertisement