Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coloured People Make the best Music...

Options
  • 23-01-2003 3:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Am I wrong? No. One of the guys I shared with was coloured - sos im speaking from experience. He could sing and rap better than any of the Irish lads, its just in their blood. If you look at most of the music in the charts and on telly today, all the best stuff is by coloured people. I know theres other good stuff as well, most of the techno fellas are white, but generally...what do y'all think?:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭Shorty

Coloured? Like green and blue and purple?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

ahh surely that post has to be a pisstake... nobody could be that narrowminded :)

<sarcasm>
    wow yeah, and sprinting and basketball.. they're great at that too.. amazing, must be because after years of oppression they're full of a strong determination to succeed at whatever they turn their hand to.
    </sarcasm>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Pearl

If we weren't all coloured we'd be transparent.

that'd be cool.. you'd finally be able to see what coke does to your insides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Manics

What's your problem? I'm takking about music.... what do you call them ..black, whatever, I'm talkin about music! Your draggin poletics into it... Ireland's a different place now and I think thats great, I'm just trying to get on withit.

Music - there's great music around here. That's what I want to talk about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Tara

Manics, if you are trying to get with it, "coloured" really isn't a good word to use to describe people.

Whats my problem? You're equating the colour of somebodys skin with a perceived musical ability.. its almost laughable in its stereotyping... never mind the actual racist undertones, "their blood" etc.
    Plus it helps when attempting a debate to give examples..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Wools

Reckon you're talking pooh there manics. In the grand scheme of things, for every excellent black performer, we could give you an excellent white performer, and if we were up to speed, an excellent Asian - South American - whatever - performer to match.

You've brought your taste in music down to dividing it by race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

It's idiotic to think black people make better make music than white people... although it does remind me of that excellent series on Channel 4 a couple of years back, the history of hip hop and rap (its exact title escapes me), anyway, Ice T was going on about Vanilla Ice, and when 'Ice Ice Baby' was no.1. Apparently Vanilla Ice was wont to describe himself as 'street', i.e. a credible and mean rap artist with roots in the ghetto or whatever. Ice T said "He thinks he's street? What f***ing street is he from, Sesame Street?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭acquiescefc

And on that bombshell

• Advertisement

aLL i'M SAYIN IS THAT LOOK AT ALL THE RAPPERS. aLL THE BEST ONES ARENT WHITE...THERE COLOURED OR BLACK OR aFRICAN OR WHATEVER...EVEN dR dRE THOUGHT eMINEM was black before he met him. Its a fact! It was in a documentary onMTV last weekend. aND ALL OF YOU ARE ALL SO UP FOR IT AND KNOW THE RIGHT WORDS FOR THIS AND THAT BUT WHAT ARE ANY OF YIS DOIN TO HELP THEM? THERES LOADS OF BLACKS AND CHINEESE AND ROMANIANS MOVED INTO WHERE i LIVE - I KNOW LOADS OF THEM. hOW MANY DO YOU KNOW. wHAT ARE ANY OF YOUS DOIN TO LET THEM PLAY AT YOUR GIGS IN wHELANS AND da2 and eammon dorans and all that. Have any of yous gone up to them and welcomed them or tried to invite them to your gigs? Have any of yous even asked if they wanted to be in a band with you? Do ye think they even know of Phantom FM. They do cause I told saome of them about it - but do play any of there demos? Did yis even ask them? It easy for you 'casu you all live here...your part of this. How do you think they feel? So don't gimme your correct language and all that...spare me. Thanks. Now can we talk about MUSIC!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

I think your caps lock key is broken!

nvwihtrgiarbfipaibgcabfbvypqnvsbyi...the whole thing was made entirely out of rubber! nanafdhqgpg svbwlrqpbvba agrqnvaahv
    Snake! Snake! mbnfgaczweqoewqtpmbviaunagye owefhbadgb Cairo!!! qoriq bqiug gfkjsb shguyi sdfuirqpfrmavndgo ...poisonous monkey... bxbvuyge eqihgrpritn suhdg basoiepfn pqhr urqptrb repiqg iagpqn hfi...like a giant marshmallow! bzfg abergoqe qerypqb rpeg mghjo ternv ...fingerless gloves were essential... fvvvsnttiuwk ioufrbdisog uaoufcalo uoaf yfgjhd bxnruikfjdbgipqea iaur aiprgbrq A lorryload of interesting cheeses... kdsfoigw ierow grqufr. I'm afraid that I was very... very... drunk.

Go on, just say thats what it was. You did post at 02:43 in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Wools

Originally posted by Manics
    Have any of yous gone up to them and welcomed them or tried to invite them to your gigs?
    Do ye think they even know of Phantom FM.

At one of the recent gigs we played, there were quite a few asian people at it - and they were the most responsive to the show, they gave it loads. Fair play to them. They said they know of phantom as well, as we were being played at the time.

On a different note, there was about 10 deaf people up the front too. And they actually came up and said they really enjoyed it as well. That rocked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭the66electric

coloured

Muppet.

Why are yous all attackin me? Maybe yer all in college and youve been told loads about it. I haven't - all I know is what I see. All I'm doin is telling yous my opinion. I thought thats what yous did here. But all I'm gettin is abuse. The only person that's said anything that made sense was Tara... don't attack me - tell me. EXPLAIN THE WAY IT IS. sHARE YOUR EDUCATION. wOOLS THAT'S GREAT ABOUT ORIENTALS GOING DOWN TO YER GIG. ...AND DEAF PEOPLE.... ALTHOUGH IF THEY COULDNT HERE WHY WERE THEY THERE? Are yis an art show or what?

Muppet.

I think its safe to say this is definitely a pisstake now.. or a 10 year old, as nobody in their right mind would use "if its on mtv it must be true" as an argument... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

In Manics defence, I only found out about 6 months ago that the term "coloured" was an offensive one - that doesn't make me racist just because I'm not up on the lingo.
    Therefore, calling him/her names cause that term was used is a little harsh methinks......
    :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

i think generalising by race is worse than getting 'the lingo' wrong.

as 66 said; muppets.

• Advertisement

Yip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭joey D

I'm surprised no-one posted the obligatory dictionary definition of racism, here goes:

racism

n 1: the prejudice that members of one race are intrinsically superior to members of other races

Therefore he's being racist against white people, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Am I wrong? No. One of the guys I shared with was coloured - sos im speaking from experience. He could sing and rap better than any of the Irish lads, its just in their blood. If you look at most of the music in the charts and on telly today, all the best stuff is by coloured people. I know theres other good stuff as well, most of the techno fellas are white, but generally...what do y'all think?:)

Yeah, I gotta agree with you there. Green people make the best pop-music but transparent people make the worst trolls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Monkey

"Maybe yer all in college and youve been told loads about it. I haven't" - ah come on that's bollocks

I'M NOT ****NI' RACIST! HOW THE HELL AM I RACIST? WHAT DID I SAY THAT WAS RACIST? WHAT? NOTHING. I dont care what people do. Where there from or anything. All i'm talking about is MUSIC. MUSIC. MUSIC. TELL ME WHAT I SAID WAS RACIST. TELL ME WHY IM A MUPPET. I LIKE CERTAIN TYPES OF MUSIC AND THAT MUSIC IS MADE BY BLACK PEOPLE. THEY GO ON ABOUT THAT THERE BLACK. NOT ME. THEY SAY IT IN THERE WORDS. THEYRE PROUD OF IT JUST LIKE IM PROUD OF BEEN IRISH. ITS BLACK MUSIC AND BLACK PEOPLE DO IT BEST. HOW AM I RACIST? YOURE THE SAME PEOPLE THAT PUT AT MATE OF MINE AND HIS GIRLFRIEND OUT OF A JOB. THEY WORKED THE JACKS IN ONE OF THE BIG BARS IN TOWN - IM CANT SAY WHERE CAUSE IT WASNT THE BARS FAULT - BUT PEOPLE COMPLAINED THAT THEY WERE WORKIN THERE AND THE BAR STOPPED THE JOB. THATS A JOB FOR THEM THEY GOT PAID WELL AND PEOPLE GAVE OUT ABOUT IT CAUSE THEYN WERE BLACK. PEOPLE SAID THE BAR WAS RACIST. IF THEY WERE WHITE AND FROM BALLYMUN NO ONE WOULD HAVE SAID A THING. ..BUT PEOPLE WITH AN EDUCATION AND PEOPLE WITH MONEY ALWAYS THINK THEY KNOW BEST. SOUND. HERE 66ELECTRIC - DO YOU HAVE ANY REPLIES THAT ARE MOE THAN FOUR WORDS? GET OFF YER HIGH HOURSES - WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD. IS THERE NO ONE IN THIS PLACSE THATLL GIVE ME A BIT OF SUPPORT HERE? AND KALI I DIDNT SAY IF IT WAS ON MTV ITS TRUE. QUOTE ME - TRY READING WHAT ISAID. I WAS QUOTING DRE. IF I QUOTED DRE AND IT WAS BROADCAST ON NCHANNEL 4 WOULD IT BE ALRIGHT - WOULD THAT BE TRUE? YOU BUY INTO MIDDLECLASS PROPAGANDA - TVSTATIONS, NEWSPAPERS, YOU KEEP THE STATUSQUO - TRY AGAIN ... TRY A LITTLE BIT OF LIFE OUTSIDE YOUR BEDROOM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'M NOT ****NI' RACIST! HOW THE HELL AM I RACIST? WHAT DID I SAY THAT WAS RACIST? WHAT? NOTHING. I dont care what people do. Where there from or anything. All i'm talking about is MUSIC. MUSIC. MUSIC. TELL ME WHAT I SAID WAS RACIST. TELL ME WHY IM A MUPPET. I LIKE CERTAIN TYPES OF MUSIC AND THAT MUSIC IS MADE BY BLACK PEOPLE. THEY GO ON ABOUT THAT THERE BLACK. NOT ME. THEY SAY IT IN THERE WORDS. THEYRE PROUD OF IT JUST LIKE IM PROUD OF BEEN IRISH. ITS BLACK MUSIC AND BLACK PEOPLE DO IT BEST. HOW AM I RACIST? YOURE THE SAME PEOPLE THAT PUT AT MATE OF MINE AND HIS GIRLFRIEND OUT OF A JOB. THEY WORKED THE JACKS IN ONE OF THE BIG BARS IN TOWN - IM CANT SAY WHERE CAUSE IT WASNT THE BARS FAULT - BUT PEOPLE COMPLAINED THAT THEY WERE WORKIN THERE AND THE BAR STOPPED THE JOB. THATS A JOB FOR THEM THEY GOT PAID WELL AND PEOPLE GAVE OUT ABOUT IT CAUSE THEYN WERE BLACK. PEOPLE SAID THE BAR WAS RACIST. IF THEY WERE WHITE AND FROM BALLYMUN NO ONE WOULD HAVE SAID A THING. ..BUT PEOPLE WITH AN EDUCATION AND PEOPLE WITH MONEY ALWAYS THINK THEY KNOW BEST. SOUND. HERE 66ELECTRIC - DO YOU HAVE ANY REPLIES THAT ARE MOE THAN FOUR WORDS? GET OFF YER HIGH HOURSES - WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD. IS THERE NO ONE IN THIS PLACSE THATLL GIVE ME A BIT OF SUPPORT HERE? AND KALI I DIDNT SAY IF IT WAS ON MTV ITS TRUE. QUOTE ME - TRY READING WHAT ISAID. I WAS QUOTING DRE. IF I QUOTED DRE AND IT WAS BROADCAST ON NCHANNEL 4 WOULD IT BE ALRIGHT - WOULD THAT BE TRUE? YOU BUY INTO MIDDLECLASS PROPAGANDA - TVSTATIONS, NEWSPAPERS, YOU KEEP THE STATUSQUO - TRY AGAIN ... TRY A LITTLE BIT OF LIFE OUTSIDE YOUR BEDROOM.

Amateur! Back to Troll 101 with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

I like the red jelly babies best and then the green ones the others aren't too nice....

Remember jelly babies are people too!

(Did i miss the point of this??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Manics.... you can always just plead temperary insanity....

but we all must thank Manics for bringing together such a great force against racism! if it wasn't for People like Manics we would never have come together in such a strong way....

of course if there weren't people like manics we wouldn't need to but thats not the point

No Amz you didn't miss the point.

LOL!!! :D This is hilarious.

Best thread EVER!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Splatz

I'm inclined to agree with Shay on this one.

Sure, the guy is a bit dim-witted, but the hostility needs to be toned down a bit; you're asking for double standards if you're gonna berate the guy for sounding racist one second and then start calling HIM potentially offensive names the next.

Manics: watch your words and your thinking; classing one race as superior is what started Hitler rolling.

And, my, did he roll...

Advertisement