Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2.5" hard Drive lifespan

• 23-01-2003 11:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭

(not sure if this is the right forum, but anyway...)

I have a laptop with a hard drive that lasted about a year. It developed a lot of bad sectors and eventually it just got to the point where it was unusable (machine would freeze up, doesn't even boot completely now). In fairness I was pretty tough on it (using it as a walkman, generally tossing it about a bit...) but it didn't last at all as long as I thought it would. What are other peoples experiences with laptop hard drives. Is this a common problem?

(bringing it back to the shop wasn't really an option - the case was all cracked - they'd probably just laugh at me)

(it was a maxdata laptop with a toshiba hd)

Also, I'm going to buy a new one soon. Anyone have any preference themselves? Find that a certain brand is better than another?

Ape

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

When I was using laptops every day, in different situation, (on the go, or simply working on them in the office), I found that the IBM 2.5" HDD's were always very reliable, above and beyond any other brand.

Bear in mind this was about 2 years ago, so thing might have changes and other brands may be better at this stage, I haven't owned a laptop since then.

YMMV

Luc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭elmer

i killed a 6gb one about 1 1/2 years ago using it constantly, downloading, playing music, movies etc

the drives generally have a 3 year warranty - I sent it back to ibm and they sent me a 9gb one cos they had no 6s left

it's worth a try returning it if the seals aren't broken ;)

I've used both toshibas and ibms - i found the ibms to generally be faster at the same price range/spec

Nige

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Moving to Technology

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Ye seems like ibm is a very popular hdd brand in laptops. I've an ibm "dara" 12gb drive in my laptop. It seems to have taken a battering quite well in the few months I have had the machine. Its not terribly slow ( able to keep up with the network card at least ), and reasonably quiet, but I will be replacing it with something bigger, faster and quieter when I get the cash. A while ago, I got a bit of a scare when the drive just made some clicking sounds on bootup, and was not detected. For some reason I instinctively took the drive out, shook it, ( could hear stuff rattling in it ), put it back in and all was well. Thats happened twice now, but I'm not too worried, I keep backups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I have an IBM 6gog drive in my lap top and it gets used as a walk man a lot and it has run fine for over a year!

No complaints!

I hope i get even longer out of it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭ironape

thanks all, now off to komplett :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I have a 20gig Ibm Travlestar in my laptop and and a 6gig onr in my Creative Juke Box, both get a beeting anf both are ok :)
    I find that IBM 2.5" drives are of the best kind. (do a lot of work with them in work)

Advertisement