Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat DSL with static IP

• 23-01-2003 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

A mate of mine has got himself a business DSL line with a static IP from Esat. He's using a D-Link 504 DSL router and there dosn't appear to be an option in the device to specify a static IP for PPoE. With IPoA, you can assign a static IP but I doubt this would work. The line is fine, but obviously its not connecting up properly.
    Any one any clues on this one? - Fing

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 arlbb

I thought that ESAT DSL service was via PPPoA.

Was a modem supplied with the DSL installation? I think there normally is with Esat business DSL. If so, he doesn't need to know connection settings, just connect the router to the modem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 [Fing]

It is PPoE AFAIK, I supplied him with the router which was working fine on eircom, he's using the correct VCI and VPI etc,
    but the D-Link dosn't seem to support the use of a static IP over PPoE
    Originally posted by arlbb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

if it is like the eircom one you're ip is bound to your log on name so you don't have to specify the static ip on the router it is just automitically pick it up. the only issue that may arise if you need to use global ip's on you network. are you running NAT off the router? and are you tring to give local machines global or local machines or a mix of both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 741 ✭✭✭MyPerfectCousin

I had it installed this week.

It is PPPoA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭domeara01

i get all the t1 i want in college so this does not concern me at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭hudson806

Originally posted by [Fing]
    I supplied him with the router which was working fine on eircom, he's using the correct VCI and VPI etc,

Are you using the correct VPI/VCI for Eircom or the correct VPI/VCI for Esat?

If its PPPoA, there should be no need to specify an IP address - the PPPoA session will automatically pick up the (static) IP address each time you log in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 [Fing]

If its PPPoA, there should be no need to specify an IP address - the PPPoA session will automatically pick up the (static) IP address each time you log in.

Sounds about right he obviously doing something wrong then.
    The VPI and VCI are Esats, thats the first thing I had him change.
    are you running NAT off the router? and are you tring to give local machines global or local machines or a mix of both.

Yep, the routers running NAT, all the clients will be NAT'ed of the one IP.

Cheers

Fing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭santalives

Do you have all the correct info on the network card, ie ip in same range, the correct gateway and the correct dns entries in. Also is the router showing that the connection is actually up cause if it isn't then you are pretty much buggered. can you ping from the router.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 rolo2912

I had a go with this in July/August last year when eircom DSL came out first. If you search for it you might find my problems on the board somewhere.

At the time I fixed my problem using port forwarding (and donated 50 Euro to boards.ie as I had promised for a fix). But I can reassure you that this router doesnt work with static IPs. I got a 3rd party company with more experience than me to get it working and they just confirmed my opinion based on endless hours spend with this router. 504 is not working with static IPs. There is one firmware from Australia that is suppose to get this working but be carefull if you try and install it, it kills the router (had 3 replacements from D-Link). I ended up using a Draytek Vigor 2600 (bought on www.microaid.ie) router. More expansive but setup using static IPs within 5 min.

PM if you need any more information.

Advertisement